main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

If anybody's interested.........

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by kitarusapien, Mar 5, 2002.

1. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    5. Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)

Ah-nuld is back, bigger than ever. This is the movie that gave us morphing, and upped the ante in CGI effects. But for all of that, I think the first one is a stronger movie in terms of acting, story and plot. But this does show great scenes of the nuking of LA and the future fight. If I ahd to choose between the two, I would still put T1 first.

2. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    4. The Matrix (1999)

Whoa, I know kung-fu. I am surprised to see this so high. I do think it belongs in the top 20, but not #4. Bullet time was awesome (although the constant over use of it in commercials, spoofs and other movies since has lessened how special it was at the time), and the plot was pretty much a mind-job, I think that the poor sequels drag down the first movie. Taken as a standalone movie, it is a good, entertaining flick, for sure. I even love the Animatrix... just not the sequels... they had great premise, but they fell flat. Is it bad that the sequels drag down the movie so much that I'm not sure if I want to watch the first one again?

3. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    3. Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977)

Ah, the reason we are all here. What can I say here, that hasn't been said before. It's SW. Nuff said. (And in my own list, this is #3, behind ESB and Aliens.)

4. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    2. Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

I love you. I know.

As much as I love ANH, I love ESB just a smidge more. I think it's the AT-ATs, and the surprise ending.

5. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    1. Inception (2010)

Excuse me? What? The? Frak? Over?

I have a lot of issues with this being #1, let alone in the top 10.

1) I *hate* Leonardo DeCaprio. Not a fan.
    2) This movie is too recent to be in the top 10. It has not stood the test of time, and IMHO, it draws its rankings from hype and fangirl love of all things Leo.
    3) Is this really SF? I think this is more of drama, than actual SF.
    4) I *hate* Leonardo DeCaprio. No, I really *hate* Leonardo DeCaprio.
    5) I really, really *hate* Leonardo DeCaprio.

So that's the IMDB list.

6. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Here are some movies that I think really, really belong on the list, in no particular order...

Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

Alien abduction, sightings, and the need to find out what and why. Visually awesome, scary as Hell at times (the abduction of the little boy scared me to no end as a kid when I saw it on TV), and well written and played. IMHO, this belongs in the top 20.

7. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan

This is hands-down the best of the ST movies. Khan is a great bad guy. The bug scene creeps me out to this day. The ship to ship combat is very well done in a slow, capital ship U-boat type of way. And Spock's sacrafice is well done. Top 20 for sure.

8. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Total Recall

This Ah-nuld action-fest deserves to be in the top 50. It's a great mind-job with awesome action.

9. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    War of the Worlds (original)

I have not seen the remake, but I like the new Tom Cruise only slightly less than Leo DeCaprio. But the original was scary, creepy, and for its time, had great special effects. It belongs in the top 50 for sure.

10. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    The Fifth Element

How is this not in the top 50? or top 20-30? I think this, along with Die Hard, is Bruce Willis's best movie ever. There are too many good things to say about this movie.

11. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Tron (And even Tron Legacy)

The first one is very good, and totally groundbreaking. The second is good, I'm not sure if that will hold the test of time.

12. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Contact

For hard science.... fiction, this is a very good movie. Why build one when you can have two for twice the price?

13. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Does anyone else have any favorites to share?

14. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    103 posts to go.

15. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    We are now within 100 posts of the FFUK'ers. Let's git R done!

16. jthornto

jthornto Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2005
    It is better. I'm reading the novel the movie is based on and it's fantastic! "Get your paws off me, you damn dirty apes!" And the ending is one of the best in sci-fi.

17. jthornto

Jan 20, 2005
    It's really good. Very mind-bending. I recommend it.

18. jthornto

Jan 20, 2005
    It's a good movie. I wouldn't call it sci-fi either. Just drama and "hypothetical fiction" maybe? No weird science here.

19. jthornto

Jan 20, 2005
    It's a fun movie and has serious "replayability"...even with all the lens flares. It's straight forward, you don't have to know much about the universe, and it's fun. Can't say that about any Star Trek movie other than 2 and 4, IMHO.

20. jthornto

Jan 20, 2005
    It will blow your mind and leave you with many questions. I highly recommend this one and you've really gotta pay attention when you watch. It's not for everybody.

It is one of those "cult films" that is frequently championed by college students and shown at midnight showings. If you can make sense of it, you're certifiably insane. It's not quite sci-fi, but perhaps you have to broaden your horizons to fit this one in the genre.

And, for God's sake, don't watch the sequel. Total train wreck...from what I understand. I don't want to take a chance on sullying the first one by watching the sequel.

21. jthornto

Jan 20, 2005
    It's good, but different than your usual sci-fi. Much slower and "atmospheric" than, say, Aliens.

22. jthornto

Jan 20, 2005
    Yep, that character was inspiration for McQuarrie when designing threepio. It's okay, but not great. You gotta like old black and white movies, to like this one.

23. jthornto

Jan 20, 2005
    I think you'll really like it. Very creepy and disturbing. More distopia than straight up sci-fi, but I consider distopias to be a form of sci-fi.

24. jthornto

Jan 20, 2005
    I'm willing to bet $100 that the second one will not stand the test of yesterday. It wasn't that good and I won't be rewatching it...a necessity for a top sci-fi movie.

25. jthornto

Jan 20, 2005
    Short Circuit.

Ha ha, just kidding.

But for real, The Last Starfighter.