main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Evan, IN If AOTC is better, why not see it more???

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Buckaroo_Banzai, Jun 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buckaroo_Banzai

Buckaroo_Banzai Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2002
    Just curious what some opinions are.... Most everyone I've talked to really thinks Episode II is better, but they are going to see it less times.

For myself, I saw EP I six times at the theater (5 times in the first 6 days (I actually took vacation)). This time, I couldn't get a vacation, but for EP II, I've seen it 4 times, with plans to see it a couple more times over the next few weeks.

The question is why? If it is so much better.

2. Preachrman007

Preachrman007 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2002
    I think it has to do with the happy ending syndrome. Almost everyone agrees that Empire Strikes Back (most people I've spoken to anyway) was the best of the original trilogy, yet it made the least money at the box office.

People don't go back to see movies without a happy ending, no matter how good the movie was. People don't leave the movie feeling good, even if they liked it, therefore they don't go back. I think that we Star Wars geeks aren't as subject to that as most people, but I do think it holds true.

Any other thoughts?

I guess I should also disclaimer this by saying that I'm too lazy to go look up box office receipts for the original trilogy right now, so I'm working from memory. If I happen to be wrong about ESB making the least money, please don't jump down my throat.

3. WedgesOtherNephew

WedgesOtherNephew Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    I think there is something to the happy ending syndrome & for the mass public it will probably apply more to Episode III. Lucas has said in an interview that since III will be the darkest of all (6) episodes it will be the least successful monetarily.

Episode I definitley had more of a "fun/family" feel to it. So, in terms of the masses, II & III will probably be less attended. True fans, I'm sure, will go as many times as they can no matter which episode we are talking about.

I know I am ready to go back!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.