main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST If early 2014 shooting schedule then when will Jedi Training begin?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by yodasbum, Sep 17, 2013.

1. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    Will the principles start lightsaber training this year?

Didn't Ewan, Liam and Hayden do months of prep before each of the prequels?

Would that mean that the ST actors will start lightsaber prep soon?

If they don't start prep soon could that suggest that a Lightsaber duel would not be promenent in epi VII? - I wouldn't mind it being lightsaber light in VII if the duels become awesome in the other two films.

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Jedi training begins as soon as they are identified as Force sensitive.

3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    These actors are too old. Too old to begin the training.

4. Revenge of the Dak

Revenge of the Dak Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 27, 2012
    It's a solid point. When will these new actors get their train on?

If they are cast by Late October/Early November that would give them about 3 months.

yodasbum likes this.
  5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Nah just halfass it and call it good.

6. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Who's to say that there will be Jedi fighting on the same scale as the prequels. Might only be one or two. Might not need a ton of training for the first one.

7. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    If Luke is in it and actually has a lightsaber scene, he could always just use his ROTJ approach again: just go absolutely nuts and swing your lightsaber around like a maniac with a baseball bat. :p

8. Corax78

Corax78 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2008
    Training should begin in October/November.

yodasbum likes this.
  9. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    Has it been confirmed that the Jedi will even be in the ST? This new trilogy could be all about Nerf Herding for all we know. :p

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    The actors' age certainly plays a role in it. I'm sure the new cast will be doing plenty of their own stunts and dueling, but Mark Hamil and the like will probably have to be CGI head swapped with a swordsman, a la Christopher Lee/Kyle Rowling. They probably won't require nearly as much training as the actors not so familiar with swords.

11. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I would say November / December so a good 2 months before they shoot ...........

12. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Could they have already started?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  13. TheTwinSuns

TheTwinSuns Jedi Master star 3

Apr 26, 2013
  14. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Since we know absolutely nothing, yes they could have.

15. TheTwinSuns

TheTwinSuns Jedi Master star 3

Apr 26, 2013
    I guess technically Mark Hamill is already in "training".

16. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012

But they've learned so much!

Jabari, Tibanna Gas Mine and mes520 like this.
  17. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I wish WE had.

18. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    And you know what that means.......

Nerf Footballs!!!!

19. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    I actually kind of hope the actors DON'T train the same way they did for RotS, because the end result wasn't all that great if you ask me. I thought the final duel between Anakin and Obi Wan was great in terms of music, pacing, and overall theatricality, but something was definitely amiss in terms of choreography. Something about the way Hayden just clumsily lumbers forward while chopping away at Ewan, and the part where they twirl their swords while standing directly in front of each just looked goofy. Obviously Lucas was trying to portray Anakin as simply overwhelming Obi Wan with brute force, but it wasn't nearly as effective as the scene in RotJ when Luke does the same thing to Vader. Ironically the latter scene didn't require 3 months of training and rehearsing but is 100% more effective. I think Lucas simply over-did it with the lightsaber duels in RotS.

I'd like to see a return to the Empire and Jedi styel of lightsaber combat, or better yet, just keep it as quick and violent as possible. When we see a lightsaber ignited on screen during Ep7, the audience should be on the edge of their seat knowing that someone is about to lose a body part pretty quickly, not reclining in their seats and settling in for an over-extended light show. Basically, the duels need to be more "Yojimbo/Sanjuro" and less "Crouching Tiger". If the duels require months of training and elaborate choreography, then the filmmakers might be off on the wrong footing.

20. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I'm going to say training is going to start end of October/November. If not the minute they are cast even if the announcement isn't made.

21. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Will they finish what they begin?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  22. David_Skywalker01

David_Skywalker01 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2006
    I will let you in on a little secret...

Whoever the principals are they have already been cast and they are probably already preparing for the roles.

23. Revenge of the Dak

Revenge of the Dak Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 27, 2012
    Another point is, in the OT the sabers were supposed to be heavy if I remember correctly. They were supposed to be like broad swords. The PT made them like scimitars. I think a nice combination of both would be nice.

But, if Luke is gonna do some saber battle, brute badass force is what I wanna see. That's how he is!

Darth Raiden likes this.
  24. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    still one of my all time favorite scenes from Return of the Jedi. i think i watched that one segment so many times i wore out the tape.

25. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    well i'm just thinking of what a 53 year old Luke Skywalker (if Episode VII is set exactly 30 years after ROTJ) would be like. would he have forsaken his lightsaber in lieu of focusing his training solely on developing his force powers or would he pull a yoda and only use a lightsaber when needed?