main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

If EU was to become canon, what would you think?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Project_Starscream, Apr 2, 2002.

?

If EU was to become canon, what would you think?

Poll closed Jan 7, 2011.
  1. I would like that

44.0%
  2. I would hate that

40.4%
  3. I wouldn't give a damn

15.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Project_Starscream

Project_Starscream Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 7, 2001
  2. THX_Princess

THX_Princess Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    I would like it for two reasons: First, it would end this pointless debate about EU being canon. Secondly, I think it should be canon anyway: GL is never going to make movies out of them, or expand on the stories so why not just canonize what we have?

3. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    What do you mean "If?" It already is canon!

4. deltron_zero

deltron_zero Jedi Master star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    [face_laugh] I think Bib's post says it all... what is and isn't canon is really a matter of opinion.

5. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    That's not exactly true. LFL has made it clear that all licensed, non-Infinities Star Wars material is canon. LFL owns the copyright, so they are the only ones that can decide what is canon and what isn't. Fans cannot.

As for continuity, that is indeed up to each fan to decide.

6. deltron_zero

deltron_zero Jedi Master star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    yeah, that is true, but the debate will still never end...

7. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Project_Starscream, I imagine you mean canon on par with George Lucas and the movies of EPISODE I-EPISODE VI.

Taking the movies of EPISODE I-EPISODE VI as they are, I would rather leave the EU as it is, and I fully enjoy the EU. They're just not how I see George Lucas and the movies of EPISODE I-EPISODE VI meaning for things to be in the STAR WARS universe.
    I think it may be more agreeable that the EU is canon than it appears in that it can be agreed there are degrees of canon. It's just that some, even though they believe there are degrees of canon, will first state that the EU is canon without stating that they see what is canon in degrees of canon which could be missunderstood for saying everything is canon on an even par instead of degrees of canon. Why they don't state what they truly mean when it could easily help avoid a debate and so on is troubling.

George Lucas has the definitive word. If he said the EU was canon on par with himself and the movies of EPISODE I-EPISODE VI and is what does and what does not happen, then I would take the EU as such.

8. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    What Bib says is true.

But it doesn't mean that any SW fan has to abide by that for their "personal continuity".

Star Tours is part of my Personal Continuity. :)

9. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    I've always considered it caon from day one. And besides aren't EU characters mentioned on the offical site anyways? That's my point. It's apart of SW.

10. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    The films, radio dramas, film novelisations, and scripts are the only canon. EU is considered continuity, not canon, because Lucas doesn't feel bound by it, and many fans don't regard non-Lucas work as true SW.

11. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Can someone please tell me what's causing this twitch in my left eye?

//twitch

//twitch

12. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Commander Antilles wrote:
    "The films, radio dramas, film novelisations, and scripts are the only canon. EU is considered continuity, not canon, because Lucas doesn't feel bound by it, and many fans don't regard non-Lucas work as true SW."

*sigh*

According to LucasFilm Licensing, anything not bearing an "Infinities" label is considered to be "canon." And George Lucas has always been & will continue to be free to make the movies as he sees fit. Also, I'm unaware of there having been some referendum or vote amongst the Star Wars fandom that determined was is & isn't canon ;) Is there a new poll up at starwars.com? :D

That having been said, it is also LFL policy that there IS an "heirarchy of canon," namely that the movies DO override any other source. Still, EU is "canon" according to LFL.

"Personal continuity" is another matter entirely. I for example, try to disregard the "Callista Trilogy" and the New Rebellion whenever possible, and I've never read the "Glove of Darth Vader" series.

Remeber, only you can prevent forum fires. :)

13. Commander Antilles

Jul 21, 1999
    Taking this to PM.

14. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    What JM says. ;)

15. JediLord

JediLord Jedi Master star 4

Oct 15, 2000
    that infinites crap will only get you so far. you keep repeating it, but i wonder if you really truly believe that DE is as canon as ESB. I don't and that is my opinion. If other people don't want to acknowledge the books, or marvel or whatever, who the hell are you to tell them different? Just b/c the gamer says so? If it had said differently, you would be sitting here saying that it is not right, that only GL can decide, not some guy who writes for gamer.

16. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    JediLord wrote:
    "you keep repeating it, but i wonder if you really truly believe that DE is as canon as ESB."
    Look at my post again, especially the part where I say that movies trump everything else in the "canon heirarchy"

"I don't and that is my opinion. If other people don't want to acknowledge the books, or marvel or whatever, who the hell are you to tell them different?"
    Again, that's "personal continuity" which no one has the right to say is invalid. The thing that I believe is the stumbling block is that for whatever reason, people are confusing "personal continuity" with "LFL-recognized official canon."

"Just b/c the gamer says so? If it had said differently, you would be sitting here saying that it is not right, that only GL can decide, not some guy who writes for gamer."
    Sheer conjecture, which actually in my case is also in my case is completely off base. There's some stuff in EU that I feel has absolutely no place in continuity, and should be listed as apocrypha. However, LFL has lumped it in with the rest, so... [face_plain]

And you're right, the only person who could decisively settle the "canon wars" has chosen not to. :p

Regardless, further discussions on this topic should go to the Grand Papooky in Lit.

17. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    that infinites crap will only get you so far. you keep repeating it, but i wonder if you really truly believe that DE is as canon as ESB. I don't and that is my opinion.

Well, as I said above...Personal Continuity is all well and good. For you, DE isn't part of the continuity. For me it is.

Don't worry. Be happy.

18. Commander Antilles

Jul 21, 1999
    According to LucasFilm Licensing, anything not bearing an "Infinities" label is considered to be "canon."

What exactly have Lucasfilm Licensing got to do with it? It's not up to them to say what is and isn't canon.

I repeat: The films are canon because Lucas made them, and they're indisputable, and the EU is merely continuity, ie it generally fits with the films, because fans can pick and choose whether it happened or not.

19. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Well, I think the word "canon" is what muddles it.

That's why me and some others think of everything ( except Infinities ) as canon, but certainly differentiate things by saying the movies are "true canon" ( sometimes I use the term "movie canon". )

Over the years, the novelizations have lost their ability to accurately predict the "movie canon" ( Owen Lars anybody? ), and the radio dramas, while Lucas had a little bit of a hand in them, were still based on Brian Daley's ideas. For example, his portrayal of Bail Organa might not even fit in with AotC's Bail Organa. ( And there was already a continuity fix for why Bail is called "Prestor" in the ANH one. )

Back in 1995, Lucasfilm said all of these were indeed part of the "movie canon" heirarchy, but these days, they seem to be on the same level as the rest of the EU, as they aren't the actual films, and the novelization and radio drama info is part of the "Expanded Universe" bio on movie characters at TOS.

I just go by what Lucafilm says. They hold the rights. If George Lucas himself trumps that with some kind of announcement, then I'll be the first to relent.

20. Fire_Light

Fire_Light Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2002
    No its your choice on whether or not you want to follow the EU, not whether the EU takes place (i.e. personal continunity). As such Lucas has rightly made the movies so that you don't need the EU to enjoy them, but at the same time giving easter eggs to EU fans (see Aaylaya Secura). But according to LFL, their currrent policy is that evrything without an infinities label is canon, ie you can chose not to follow it but it cannot be said it doesnt exist (well its fantasy so it doesn't exist but you know what I mean).

21. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    It's not up to them to say what is and isn't canon.

Why not?

22. Lahne_Pryok

Lahne_Pryok Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2002
    This is probably a stupid question considering all of this deep discussion...
    But, what does 'canon' mean?

Sorry for my ignorance...

23. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    "Canon refers to an authoritative list of books that the Lucas Licensing editors consider an authentic part of the official Star Wars history. Our goal is to present a continuous and unified history of the Star Wars galaxy, insofar as that history does not conflict with, or undermine the meaning of Mr. Lucas's Star Wars saga of films and screenplays. Things that Lucas Licensing does not consider official parts of the continuous Star Wars history show an Infinities logo or are contained in Star Wars Tales. Everything else is considered canon. "

24. Lahne_Pryok

Lahne_Pryok Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2002
    Bib, thanks so much!
    That really clears alot of stuff up!

Later...

25. jewlmc

jewlmc Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    The Saga continues..... :p

*sigh*

Thread Status: