main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

If I Die Before I Wake

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by The Musical Jedi, Feb 26, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    That last post seems to have escaped me somehow, but now that I've read it I must tell you I loved how Obi-Wan and Dene eyed each other and that Nora could easily see the 'wheels turning'.

More soon I hope Musical!!!

2. The Musical Jedi

The Musical Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 1999
    Let me know if this post makes sense. It's a rather iffy one.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Jedi Master was quickly found, with Obi-Wan leading the way. His back was frostily turned on them, tight with concern as they walked. Nora ambled in the middle, sensing Dene?s mistrustful eyes glancing over her shoulder to peer at Obi-Wan. They must have made a humorous procession.

Qui-Gon gave the threesome a quick look over, the note he took of his padawan?s posture indicated in his face. Nora gave him a quick summary of what had happened and how Dene had come to join their ranks. A grin had quirked the Master?s face as he extended a hand to young mercenary. ?You have a healthy knowledge of herbs,? he commended. Dene merely flushed, which caused Obi-Wan to grin.

Nora rolled her eyes impatiently. ?Well, as thrilled as I am that you three can get together and torture each other, I think we have something a little more problematic to consider.?

?Right,? Obi-Wan interrupted, ticking the points off on his fingers. ?Your parents were killed, you have some unnamed troops after you, and we have mercenary on our side who has already tortured us once. Did I miss anything??

?What are you trying to imply, Jedi?? Dene hissed back angrily, caressing the blaster holstered on his hip. He leaned forward eyes blazing.

?I?m implying that you are treacherous scum, comparable to my masters pathetic life forms that he?s so found of dragging home from our missions!? Obi-Wan fired back, not missing a beat. He, too, stepped closer.

?All right, that?s enough,? Qui-Gon thundered, pushing between the two. Both of them backed away from the larger man, eyeing him warily. ?You,? he said, pointing a finger to his padawan, ?stop antagonizing him. He?s with us now and nothing you can say or do can change it. We will talk ?extensively- on this matter later.?

Dene?s mouth curled in a silent laugh as Obi-Wan?s proverbial tail disappeared between his legs, though his eyes were still alight. ?And you!? The smiled died on his lips as the Jedi Master whirled on the other young man, using every weapon at his disposal to intimidate him. ?Don?t try to provoke him into a fight. If you?re dead set on a physical match, I?ll make a point to humiliate you. Understood??

Dene nodded, outwardly calm though he was trembling on the inside. He?d never met a man as strong as Qui-Gon, nor as swift. Licking his lips nervously, betraying his inward emotion, he couldn?t help but remember how hard it had been to capture the Jedi Master.

Qui-Gon turned to Nora. ?I believe you were trying to tell us something useful?? he prompted.

Nora bit back a grin. Then, her face smoothed as she turned serious. ?As Kenobi so caustically said pointed out, my parents have been killed and there is some force of people after me.? She considered her next words carefully. ?But there has to be something else driving this. Why else would Palpatine betray Dene to make it look like he rescued me??

Dene looked thoughtful. ?Sounds like your type of politics, princess.?

Nora opened her mouth to make a response when suddenly the shrill squeal of a whistle permeated the morning air. She turned, only to see a few men wearing tailored soldier uniforms racing towards her. Nora frowned then jumped, as she recognized the insignia on the uniforms.

?Hate to call this meeting short, but we?ve got to relocate, if you value your freedom!? Nora cried, her voice shrill with fear as she took off sprinting. They were Palpatine?s men.

3. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Ah-hah more!!!

I loved the way Qui-Gon got the boy's attention and the grin Nora hid.

Atta boy Qui-Gon!!

4. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    "A healthy knowledge of herbs" Hah! I loved that line. I also liked the way that Qui-Gon had to threaten both Obi-Wan and Dene just to keep peace in their unlikely alliance. And now Palpatine's guards are coming for Nora. Humour and a cliffhanger--what more could we want?

Well, a new post soon would be nice...

5. Jaya Solo

Jaya Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 1999
    The chase is on! Post soon!

6. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    The three men exchanged glances as Nora took off sprinting. Qui-Gon followed her with his eyes. ?I?ll follow Nora,? he said quickly, wasting neither time nor breath, ?and we?ll meet back at the Temple around dinnertime.? With that, the long-legged Jedi took after Nora.

Obi-Wan glanced over his shoulder at the men bearing down upon them and gave a wary glance to Dene. ?Is this the loyalty you promised?? he hissed, setting off at a light jog and turning away. A dark look crossed Dene?s face, and he pursued the Jedi.

?What do you want from me?? he demanded, making long strides from to pace with Obi-Wan. He grabbed Kenobi?s shoulder, bringing him to an abrupt halt. Obi-Wan wrenched his arm from Dene?s grasp. Stifling a grimace, Dene searched the other?s cool blue eyes. ?Why can?t you trust me??

Obi-Wan?s nostrils flared as he levelly took the look, peering back at Dene. ?You,? he said lowly, giving Dene a firm push, ?drugged my master. You captured Nora. You did your best to compromise every aspect of this mission.? Each new sentence was punctuated by another shove. ?But worst of all, you compromised your own morals for money.?

Eyes blazing, Dene?s hands clenched into fists. ?You don?t know what it?s like,? he snarled. ?You haven?t had to watch friends and family die from lack of food. You?ve never gone hungry for any period of time. You don?t know how degrading it is to have to decide between a mouthful of bread or a moralistic precept. So don?t you lecture me on the evils of being a mercenary, Jedi. You don?t understand.? Dene spat out the title as though it tasted foul in his mouth.

Obi-Wan continued to glare at him, his icy eyes glinting in the light, the anger clear on his face. ?Still don?t trust me, then.? The anger melted away for a moment at the sentence, and confusion crossed the padawan?s face. Dene seemed to steel himself. ?Fine, then, I?ll put my life in your hands to prove my loyalty, since little else seems to get through to you.

?I know what Palpatine wants from the girl. Her parents have a store of information, written documents that could compromise the senator. She knows where this information is, and how it was collected. He needs the documents destroyed and the method through which they were collected done away with as well, or he and what he considers valuable will fall. That is why he needs her alive, and somewhat cooperative. His desires depend entirely on her.

?I was sent in to retrieve her, but he didn?t expect me to turn against him. I didn?t plan on it either, but being betrayed can affect people like that. For reasons I don?t know, he is especially angered over the Jedi involvement, as though you pose more of a threat to him than Senate security. There I?ve told you all I know.? His expression turned dark, and he gestured to the guards that were still chasing Qui-Gon and Nora. ?One word from your lips, telling them what I?ve just told you, and my life will reach its close before sunset.?

Obi-Wan looked at the other young man in front of him, the harsh words dying on his lips. The padawan didn?t know what to say, and simply shook his head. A moment passed, then suddenly an impish grin appeared on Obi-Wan?s face. ?I have little doubt that you will die someday,? he informed Dene, ignoring the look of alarm that was gone before it was fully realized, ?but it won?t be today. At least, not by my hand.? A smile of relief appeared on Dene?s face, and impulsively, they shook hands as though sealing their new-found alliance.

7. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Boy, that must have been hard for Dene, but I'm glad he did it! Good!

Please don't leave us hanging so long between posts!

8. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    I'm sorry! I keep thinking life will settle down and then I can write, but it never does. I'm going to just have to force writing into the schedule.

9. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Excellent post Musical!

Obi-Wan may have valid reasons for mistrust, but Dene's defense of his actions made it seem Obi-Wan led a charmed life.

10. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
  11. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    *just looks rather embaressed*

12. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    Nora ran, stretching her long legs out as far as they would go. Qui-Gon was only a few lengths behind her, however, quickly matching the girl?s pace. They ran in silence, the Jedi Master making silent gestures on where they should go to escape the guards.

?I don?t think we can shake them,? Nora panted, as they rounded another turn, their harassers not far behind.

Qui-Gon shrugged, though Nora could see the wheels turning as he considered. Suddenly, he guided her to an open-air market. ?Do you trust me?? he asked, searching her eyes and slowing her to a quick walk.

?What?? Nora replied, the only thing she could articulate.

?I said, do you trust me?? The second time it was asked, the question was more insistent. There was a troubled edge to it.

?Yes, I trust you,? she said, curiosity shining in her eyes. He indicated that she should stand still.

?Stand here, and look at the wares. Whatever you do, don?t make any sort of indication you recognize the men when they come. I?ll be standing a little distance away, but we can?t seem to be together. Understand??

Nora nodded, fear gripping her throat. Quickly, she stifled it. She nodded again, more firmly. A faint smile crossed Qui-Gon?s face, and he strode away to look at some other wares. A knot of fear settled in her stomach as Nora did the same, inspecting some bolts of cloth. //What in the world does he have planned?// she couldn?t help but wonder.

13. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    Great post!

14. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Trust him??? Yes implicitly.

But I've got to repeat Nora's concern, "What in the world does he have planned."

Don't know why the first thing that came to mind was the ever popular embracing and kissing. It always works in the movies.

15. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    I have the next installment under way, but something came up and I really don't feel like writing anymore. Please forgive me, I haven't forgotten you.

16. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
  17. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    Yay! I have a life again!! :) And a long post for all of my dedicated readers... Thank you much!!!

Instead of studying the pottery in the booth a few paces away from Nora, Qui-Gon reached into the Force, searching for the entities of those following them. He quickly found them.

Taking a deep breath, the Jedi Master took a moment to calm and center himself. The task he had devised would not be easy, but if it were successful, it would make getting to the Jedi Temple inconspicuously much easier. Concentrating on the men following them, he skimmed their thoughts, noting that none were Force-sensitive.

//The weak minded are always venerable,// he thought to himself, recalling his own master?s words on mind tricks. Taking great care, he provided them with the impression that he would appear as an older, affluent Corellian. For Nora, he gave the impression of a dark haired girl, having clear, blue eyes. It was not a difficult task, although he could not be positive of the success until the men actually came into view of the girl and the Jedi.

The group of stiffly uniformed men appeared, and Qui-Gon held his breath, trying not to glance their direction. They seemed to confer quietly for a moment, one keeping a sharp watch on the area. His eyes feel on Nora, and he gave a sharp cry to his cohorts, gesturing her direction. Qui-Gon saw her head jerk at the sound, casting him an insistent look.

Stifling a curse, he shot between the hurrying group and his charge. He didn?t understand why the trick hadn?t worked, unless the effects of Dene?s concoction hadn?t worn off yet. Pushing the thought aside for more pressing ones, he skidded to a halt, blocking their path to Nora.

?Step aside, Jedi,? the ringleader, the one who had given the signal she was there, hissed at Qui-Gon, brandishing a blaster. He sneered, leveling it to point at the Jedi Master?s chest.

Nora shifted behind the tall Master, concerned for his safety. She turned around, unsure of what to do. //Run, leave me! You?re more use to me free than captured.// The words she had cried so easily at Alderaan died on her lips. Freedom stolen once was luck. To dare hope for a second time was simply suicidal.

Suddenly, Qui-Gon?s green saber ignited, blocking a shot that was meant to draw the Master?s last breath. He could sense Nora?s restlessness and insecurity from the close proximity. He was loathe to have the confrontation come to blows in such a public place, for it was surely detrimental to their whole plan, but it couldn?t be helped.

For a moment, the world became a blur of blaster bolts, as he worked to parry all of them. From the over-whelming odds, Qui-Gon soon began to tire, suffering from Dene?s herbs and concern for Nora during their time apart. He lagged, mentally berating himself for his failings.

Feeling a surge of bravery behind him, the Jedi Master half-turned to see Nora rush forward, a staff in her hands. A blunt end brutally connected with the commander, and soundlessly he crumpled to the ground. The air stilled as the others instinctively took a step back, their blasters lowered in momentary disbelief.

?You do not attack Republic citizens like that!? she cried loudly, thinking quickly on where she could go with this. ?You didn?t even have a reason, going after some Jedi with no reason.?

Her voice carried over the hushed market, which had fallen silent during the first blows. A group of people began to gather. ?Do you think just because you have blasters that you can ignore anyone?s rights you choose? I think not,? she replied, slamming her staff on the pavement for emphasis. Not looking, the end of the staff clouted one of the soldiers solidly on his foot. The soldier screeched in pain, clutching his foot and hopping off-balance.

?Serves you right,? someone from the crowd cried. Suddenly, a rock flew through the air, connecting solidly with another soldier. The air grew thick with stones and other things thrown, and the guards were forced to duck away, beatin

18. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    Nora followed a pace behind the Jedi Master, feeling very somber. Even though she wasn?t Force-sensitive, she could feel his displeasure radiating from him as he threaded his way through the streets. Numerous times, she had opened her mouth, a question or an explanation on the tip of her tongue, but she could never muster the courage to say something to him.

They walked in silence along so many blocks that Nora lost count. She memorized the shades of color in the Jedi?s hair and the exact tint of his cloak, however. The diplomats? child couldn?t help but wonder what Qui-Gon was musing over. Nothing in his manner gave away his emotions. She gave a sigh, quietly wondering how angry he was.

?I?m not angry, simply disappointed in you,? Qui-Gon said suddenly, pausing as he walked so that he was alongside Nora.

?You seem angry,? she replied, compressing her lips in embarrassment at being caught. ?Why are you disappointed, then??

?You shouldn?t have caused such a scene back there. It probably has set us back, and will only further enrage our adversaries,? came the calm reply.

Nora frowned, her mind reeling. ?Well, what did you propose I should have done? Obviously your plan failed. Should I just have let them capture me again? Would that have satisfied you?? She realized she was shouting, her temper flaring. Clamping her mouth shut, Nora clenched her jaw and glared at the Jedi, stopping.

?I didn?t say that,? Qui-Gon replied demurely. ?I was simply saying that you probably caused trouble by your actions. You should have thought a little more before taking action.?

The Jedi?s calm grated at her. Did he feel nothing, not care at all? ?Well, from the beginning, it seems I?ve done little more than cause trouble. Perhaps I should simply fade away. That would make your life less troublesome! Besides, it?s not like I could have asked them to delay taking me away. ?Oh, wait, I need to think a moment, would you please hold on??? Nora snorted contemptuously.

?You?re overreacting,? Qui-Gon began, but Nora cut him off, clearly enraged.

?Perhaps I am, but maybe you are simply being overly critical. I didn?t see you come up with any ideas to get rid of those banthas, so don?t condemn me for doing what you couldn?t. Maybe I?ll just find someone else to help me.? With that, she turned and stormed off, turning down one of the streets.

Qui-Gon stood in shock until Nora was out of sight. //Sith incarnate, what did I do to deserve this?// he wondered privately. ?Nora, wait a minute!? he called, going after her at a light jog.

19. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    I know it took me a long time to post... Do I have any readers left? *sniffle*

20. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    I'm still here. It just took a while for the Force to lead me to this post. Again, I stand in awe of Nora's resourcefulness. Great idea, to involve the crowd and turn them against the soldiers! And I also think that Qui-Gon is overly critical. They're all free, aren't they? That's the main thing!

I suppose it's pointless to say post more soon, so I'll settle for "Don't forget this thread completely."

21. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    I won't forget it completely! I feel bad, and I know I've been neglectful...

22. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    Dene walked a few feet behind the Jedi padawan, unsure of what to do. Obi-Wan clearly knew the way he was going, and judging from the stiff carriage of his back, Dene was fairly certain that he didn?t want to engage in small talk.

Shoving his hands deep into his pockets, Dene fell deep into his thoughts as he trailed behind the Jedi. It irked him how Palpatine had simply brushed him off when he was finished. The threats that he?d been told echoed hollowly in his mind. It didn?t make any sense. Nothing seemed to any more.

Arbitrarily, his thoughts turned to Nora. She didn?t understand the life he?d lived up to this point. She would make a fine diplomat someday, a well-endowed diplomat for the well-endowed elite. He shook his head, his eyes darkening. She had a lot of potential, a flair for oratory. He sighed. Maybe he wouldn?t find a champion for his cause. Maybe it just wasn?t important enough.

Obi-Wan rolled his eyes as he strode ahead. The emotions were rolling off of his companion in droves, and it was getting harder and harder to ignore. ?You know, Dene,? he said as he half-turned, slowing down to allow him to catch up, ?you?re really projecting your emotions. It?s against my code to eavesdrop on them, but you?re making it rather difficult.? A half-grin quirked the padawan?s face.

?Projecting my emotions?? Dene asked curiously. ?What do you mean??

Obi-Wan sighed, scrubbing a hand through his hair. ?Since I?m Force-sensitive, and you have midichlorians in your cells, I can glean the emotions you give off. When you project, it means you?re feeling something strongly, and therefore it?s amplified and easier to pick up on.?

?You mean, you can basically crawl inside my head?? Dene grinned. ?It?s a gambler?s dream.?

Obi-Wan laughed. ?Except that?s immoral. We Jedi generally try to avoid that.?

The other young man nodded once, thoughtfully. ?I know you don?t believe me, but we do try to maintain a semblance of being moralistic,? Obi-Wan said quietly. ?We try to uphold our code, but no one?s perfect.?

Dene shrugged. ?Forget it. And don?t worry about whatever you?re taking off the top of my thoughts,? he replied darkly. Obi-Wan frowned, wondering why he suddenly had shut himself off. Sighing, he walked next to Dene and safely changed the subject to where they both have traveled.

23. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Didn't even realize there were three new posts here.

Personally I liked Nora's quick thinking, she managed to get them out of a sticky situation without any seious injuries...back off Qui-Gon.

I really think both boys could learn alot from each other.
    ~~ And don?t worry about whatever you?re taking off the top of my thoughts.~~--loved that line!

24. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    Yay! You're back! And with more story posts! Yay! :)

25. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.