main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

If I Die Before I Wake

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by The Musical Jedi, Feb 26, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Musical Jedi

The Musical Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 1999
    I plan to continue, and hopefully soon! Thanks for all the posts though, and I really am trying not to keep you waiting!

2. Kirixchi Kenobi

Kirixchi Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2000
    @yay!!! More... Keep writing Truth About Beginnings too though- you've got me hooked now!

3. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    "Bored out of his mind..." I love that line! But now I hope Obi-Wan maneuvers Nora into a disadvantageous position so that she falls over something. I think I remember that Qui-Gon is still laying there somewhere, too...

4. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    I'm really sorry I haven't had time to post. I hope to soon, though. Don't give up on me yet! *brings the fic back out into the sunlight* Comments are always appreciated, of course.

5. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    At last, the long awaited battle!

Nora found her staff and turned to Obi-Wan, watching him as he fiddled with the controls on his saber. He looked up, as though sensing her gave, and gave her a grin as he activated it.

The girl took a defensive stance, deciding to force the padawan to make the first move. Fondly, she fingered her smooth staff, using the motion to keep herself from getting nervous. Suddenly, Obi-Wan moved, his saber stopped inches from her face with a flick of her staff. Nora withdrew and made a sweep about at his knees. Obi-Wan jumped and did a flip backwards, landing a little distance away.

He brandished his saber and did a couple of flips with it, obviously showing off. Nora put her staff vertical and leaned on it, watching with the air of relaxation even though she lost her concentration. The blue blade came towards her, and Nora blocked it again, twisting to her left, landing a blow on his arm.

She received an annoyed look for that, and his stance changed. He began flicking his blade towards her, first on her right, then on her left. Nora couldn?t keep up trying to watch and anticipate so she gave up and went on instinct. Too busy blocking, she didn?t have a chance to lay another blow on him.

Nora watched as her hands moved almost detached from her brain. She realized there was a pattern to the flattering display of attacks. Every time he switched sides, Obi-Wan left his stomach wide open to attack. It was only left open because of the flourish that was incorporated into the movement. Nora watched carefully, making sure of the timing.

The next time Obi-Wan began his cycle of switching sides, Nora was ready. She waited until his left his stomach open then struck with the tip of her staff. Obi-Wan went reeling backwards, the breath knocked out of him. His arms flailed in an attempt to regain his balance, but then he tripped over his master. The saber flew from his hand, and Qui-Gon woke up, shoving the sprawled padawan off of him good-naturedly. Nora took a few steps, then swung her staff in a quick arc, slowing it to give Obi-Wan a tap on the head. ?I win,? she smiled, looking quite satisfied. He simply scowled, much to the amusement of his master.

6. jedi_master_gimpy

jedi_master_gimpy Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2000
    Heheheh, LOL Musical Jedi!! That was so funny!! Please post more!

7. Jaya Solo

Jaya Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 1999
    Hehe. Yeah! She beat him! Haha.

8. padawan feline

padawan feline Jedi Master star 3

May 26, 1999
    Hehe, that was awesome Musical Jedi!!! Keep posting!! And sooner this time!!!! PLease?

9. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    I have an overnight trip for today and tomorrow, so I decided to give you a tidbit to enjoy while I'm gone. Thanks for all the responses!!!

Qui-Gon chuckled at his padawan, who was still laying on the ground. ?I see you?ve finally met your match, Obi-Wan,? he commented. Nora leaned on her staff, watching the exchange with a bemused smile on her face.

Obi-Wan shot her a glare as well. ?If I hadn?t tripped over an ill-placed master, I would have won,? he muttered quietly, getting an idea.

?Excuses, excuses,? retorted the older Jedi as he stood, stretching his cramped muscles. Obi-Wan reached over and snatched the end of the staff. Nora heaved forward, having lost her leaning post, and fell to the ground, scrambling to regain her balance the entire descent.

Obi-Wan grinned. ?All?s well that ends well.? This time, Obi-Wan was on the receiving end of a glare. He stood up and offered Nora a hand to get up. She glared at the hand and stood up by herself, dusting off her skirts and blouse.

?Is your padawan always so impudent?? she asked, feigning irritation. Actually, the fall hadn?t bothered her too much.

?Invariably,? came the reply as Qui-Gon worked to relight the fire. Nora grinned in a silent laugh. Obi-Wan scowled at the pair.

?Don?t you two have better things to do than discuss my character?? he inquired.

?No,? Nora replied bluntly. That earned a smile from Qui-Gon.

?I don?t, but I think that you two do. Obi-Wan, go find something for us to eat this morning, and Nora, please find some more sticks and kindling for the fire.?

?Yes, Master,? Obi-Wan sighed, then took off into the foliage. Nora just nodded and headed off a different direction, making sure she knew which way to come back.

The day had broken clear, and Nora enjoyed her jaunt through the forest, bending down to pick up branches and sticks whenever she saw some that looked favorable. Birds chirped in the distance, and she tried to imitate them by whistling, although she wasn?t very good.

After a while, she began to notice that whenever she moved, a rustle would follow some distance away. Nora rolled her eyes. ?Obi-Wan, if you think you?re fooling me, you?re sadly mistaken. Don?t make me beat you again!? she called cheekily out into the trees. After waiting a few moments, Nora furrowed her brow. There was no response outside of the birds? songs and leaves rubbing against each other.

?You?re not going to scare me,? she taunted into the silence. Tilting her head, she tried to listen for the rustling again, although it never came. Nora took a few crunching steps back towards the camp. To her ears, it seemed to echo eerily, reinforcing the silence. ?Obi-Wan!?

Suddenly, she heard the snap of a twig behind her. Nora whirled, then screamed as a uniformed man rushed at her. Instinctively, she dropped her burden of the kindling and shot off towards the camp, the man close behind her.

Dodging between trees in a futile effort to loose her pursuer, Nora hiked up her skirts and ran with all her might. She yelled as well, calling out to the padawan and his master, pleading for help. The man behind her also screamed something, but the dusty-haired girl couldn?t make out the words over her own voice.

All of a sudden, another uniformed man appeared in front of her, having dropped down from one of the trees. He caught her in a restraining bear hug, pinning her arms to her sides. Nora struggled with all of her might, desperation fueling her movements. ?Lieutenant,? the man grunted, trying to cling to his quarry, ?assistance please!? The other man came up behind her, his blaster raise high. The butt of the weapon came down, crashing into Nora?s skull, and everything went black.

10. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Oooh, yeah, this is where the title comes in, isn't it?

Another great post! I like the way Obi-Wan claims he was winning until he tripped over an ill-placed master, and the way he tries to even things up by pulling Nora down. I also like the way Nora thinks it's Obi-Wan following her, until she finds out differently. Good job!

You're probably looking forward to your musical field trip--but I'm not! I wish you'd stay home and post more excellent stuff!

11. padawan feline

May 26, 1999
    OH NO!!!!! You can't leave us in such suspense? What will I ever do without another post?? HURRY HOME MUSICAL JEDI!!!!

12. jedi_master_gimpy

Jan 12, 2000
    Musical Jedi, how can you leave us hanging like this?!? It's not fair!!!!!

13. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    Wonderful. I can handle the suspense... just not for too long.

14. padawan feline

May 26, 1999
    More more more!!! I must have more!!!!!!

15. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    Thanks for all the replys! Makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. . . I have the next post in the works and as soon as I can type it out, it'll be up. And remember, patience is a Jedi virture . . .

16. QuiGon2

QuiGon2 Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 1999
    Are you still going to work on that movie
    hund
    because I can do a good voice for : Jar Jar,Obi-Wan Kenobi,Darth Oniga,Darth Sidious.

17. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    Consciousness flowed back into Nora slowly. The first thing she was aware of was the pounding throb that roared through her head at regular intervals. Remembering the uniformed men and the attack on her head, the pain did not surprise her. The next realization that came to her was the fact she was propped up against something. Rolling her head forward, Nora fought the wave of pain that accompanied the movement. She came to the conclusion that her hands were tied to her feet, which were also attached at the ankles. Her knees were drawn up to her chin, with her skirts draped modestly over them, thankfully. A rag of some sort was stuffed in her mouth, held in place by a gag tied around her head and caught in her hair, pulling painfully if she moved it too far left or right. Slowly, she opened her eyes, afraid of the scene that might greet them.

Still in the woods, she was obviously in a camp of some sort. A little distance off, a boy squatted in a uniform. He wasn?t much older than her, having maybe three or four years on Nora. He watched her unblinkingly and gave a long, low whistle that reminded Nora of a bird?s call when he saw her watching him. There was a hostler on his left hip, the only side visible to Nora, and she assumed its match lay on his right as well. He stood up unhurriedly, brushing his shaggy, auburn hair from his eyes and strolled leisurely to where Nora sat bound and gagged.

When he came near, he squatted again. Nora realized that he was her guard and must be in charge of keeping her in their grasp. Terror swelled in her unbidden; the lightheartedness of the morning vanished with frightening alacrity. ?You?re in capable hands now, Valjean,? he told her in low, tenor tones. A smile crept across his face that frightened her. It spoke of information that he had that was invaluable to her, and she had no doubt as to whether it would be divulged. ?I wouldn?t try any attempt at escape. You?ll only make things worse on yourself. I am your caretaker, if you will. I am called Dene, although you obviously aren?t going to be able to make much use of that at this point in time.?

Nora suppressed a shudder at the revelation of his name. It meant ?sharp? in her family?s tongue, sharp as in reference to a blade. He gave another low whistle, this one rising and falling in a tune of sorts. A response came back, one that started low, flew high and fell again quickly, ending on the same tone. She couldn?t help but wonder what the signal told the listeners beyond.

He turned back to her. ?If I take off your gag, do you promise not to scream? I would like to get to know you a little better, since we?ll be inseparable until we reach our destination. But, I can?t have you giving us away.? He leaned closer, menacingly. ?I have methods of making you regret things, if you choose to lie to me. Don?t test me.?

Nora nodded slowly, deciding that talking to him would do no harm. He might provide answers to the questions that raced through her head. Dene nodded once briskly, the reached around her to untie the knot holding the fabric stuffed in her mouth in place. Then he withdrew it and pulled out the wadded-up piece that was wedged between her teeth.

Nora studied him for a moment, trying to read the expressions on his face and his natural movements. ?Thank you,? she said finally, earning a baffled look from Dene. The other then chuckled, shaking his head.

?You won?t be telling me that when my superiors come to question you.?

18. GilesP

GilesP Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 20, 2000
    In a continuing attempt to pad my portfolio, I can do Obi-Wan, any deep voices, or Amidala, if you don't mind her sounding like a Jersey Trucker. Just kidding

I have done voice over work before.

-Brian P. Gefrich
    gilesp@execpc.com

19. Subject Zero

Subject Zero Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2000
    I'd love to do Anakin

I can also do voices for background characters as well.

I'll send an mp3 soon

SZ

20. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    I feel kind of lonely . . .

Uppers.

21. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    Wow. Very good. Can't wait until Obi-Wan gets to play the kmight in shining armor.

22. padawan feline

May 26, 1999
    YAY!!!! You posted more!!!!! *feline redface.gif does a happy Jedi dance around the thread* This is great Musical Jedi!!! I hope Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon can save her soon!!!!!

(hehe, caught me on that one Gimpy!)

[This message has been edited by padawan feline (edited 05-08-2000).]

23. HealerLeona

HealerLeona Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2000
    Ok, great post Musical. Now where are those pesky boys? She shouldnt have been able to stray too far from them. Can't wait to see Obi-Wan fight for her freedom.

24. jedi_master_gimpy

Jan 12, 2000
    Wahoo!! More story!! That was an awesome post but why do I have a feeling that Nora isn't going to have a reason to be so thankful in the near future?!?

(Btw padawan feline, **Kiara** is dancing around the thread? Hm...multiple personalities now, is that right? )

25. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    Thanks for all the replies! I'll get to everybody's favorite Jedi in a little bit. Now for a little more plot advancement . . .

Dene stifled a smile at the stricken look that crossed Nora?s face. He carefully replaced the gag and stood, striding easily across the camp. The pleased look faded from his face, though, as he neared his destination, a brown tent that had a guard in front of it. Casting a quick look at the despairing girl across the way, he turned to the guard. ?I need to talk to the captain,? he told him.

?A moment, then.? The guard ducked in the tent.

Dene leaned against one of the wooden posts supporting the tent easily, looking completely relaxed. Everything was finally beginning to come together. The pleased look returned and a suppressed smiled accompanied it. The guard reappeared and gestured him it.

The ceiling of the tent hung low, and it was warm and muggy inside. In the middle of the room sat a table with datapads spread over it, as well as a few large flimsy containing maps. Two stools stood in front of it. Dene stepped in, blinking in the darkness. A tall, burly man sat at the table, a rock of muscle. He grimaced as Dene approached the table unbidden.

?What do you want? You have the girl in your charge. What is left for you?? he asked abruptly, with out preamble.

?I hadn?t noticed,? Dene replied dryly. ?As you are well aware, Captain Vastita, my task is to keep track of her and protect her from you and your imbecilic men. We need to move our camp. The girl wasn?t alone. She wouldn?t have been this deep in the woods if she was. We?d have found her at the house, not in the middle of nowhere. We must move.?

Vastita laughed. ?You have the girl. All other decisions are mine. You may be here on Palpatine?s call and beck, but you?re on my ground now, Dene. Make sure you don?t forget it.?

?I?m here on Palpatine?s beck and call because you and your men are too moronic to accomplish anything without me. It?ll be your head if she doesn?t make it back alive, need I remind you,? he shot back, settling himself on the stool nearer to the table. He studied his nails disinterestedly. ?Besides, you can?t really believe that the other two men in the woods last night were mere coincidence to us finding her this morning. Most people don?t have the gall to run around impersonating Jedi.?

The captain turned red at this remark and stood up, anger scrawled upon his face. ?If you didn?t have such close ties, boy, I?d whip you for your insolence! You do your job, and I?ll do mine. You follow orders like any other man here. Palpatine will get what he asked for. Now leave!? he thundered, pointing a hand to the door.

Dene stood up, making no move towards the door. ?I won?t stand having your stupidity ruin my goals, Captain,? his voice mocking the title. ?Valjean will be delivered to Coruscant by my own hand with or without your help. I earned every bit of respect I have from the senator, and obviously you would have it too, if you so deserved. Keep your personal feelings out of this. I know you?d like nothing better than to see me six feet under or accidentally left. I?m your trump, Vastita. Without me, you have nothing. Don?t forget that, or we?ll lose everything. And I never lose,? he added menacingly, shooting a glare at the other. Then, Dene turned and left. Vastita snorted irritably but ignored him. The boy may be right, but the captain didn?t have to admit to it. He hated having his hand forced, but more than that, Vastita hated the fact Dene knew it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.