main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga If I through VI were written together

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by JaymieSecord, Nov 13, 2014.

1. JaymieSecord

JaymieSecord Jedi Padawan

Jul 19, 2014
    Not sure if this is too alike to the thread re: Rewriting The Originals, found here: http://boards.theforce.net/threads/rewriting-the-originals.50019440/

However, I post this on it's own as I am interested in your thoughts not abut what you would change, but what Lucas would have done if he'd written all six scripts together. Let's assume release order wouldn't change, as I believe, Lucas is quoted as saying he did IV, V, VI first becaus they were the most exciting. (Empire Of Dreams, I believe this quote is from?)

Would Plagueis have made an appearance? Would the OT have more politics incorporated? Would Coruscant play a roll?

Personally, I feel Yoda would have been incorporated into IV and likely would not be initially portrayed as bats*** crazy (despite the 30 years of exile) and would have been shown as a true master of the Jedi arts from the beginning.

Secondly, I feel Leia would have had more of a political leadership role, possibly eliminating characters like Mon Mothma, or least downgrading her presence.

I have others, but am curious to see what other folks come up with.

Kao Cen Darach likes this.
  2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    All assumptions, of course: No romantic interest on Luke's part, Tarkin wouldn't hold Vader's leash, Palpatine would be shown dismantling the Senate in ANH, Bail Organa would have a more active role in the OT, certain terms would be used in the OT (Padawan, Sith, etc), Endor would be replaced for Kashyyyk, Dooku and Sifo-Dyas would appear in TPM, Naboo would probably appear in the OT, the rebel alliance, its conception and its leaders would have more exposure, the scope of the OT would be more broad, etc...

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I bet that the Separatist holdouts would have been part of the Rebellion.

4. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Moving to Saga.

CoolyFett likes this.
  5. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Very, very interesting thread idea!

I am also assuming that this thread hypothesizes that George would not have grown exhausted of SW as he did back in the 80's, so my expectations of if the saga was written all at once would be things such as....

I doubt there would be a second Death Star in ROTJ. However, I am aware that one of the original ideas was to have TWO new Death Stars orbiting the Imperial capital planet. If they still had to go with another Death Star, there would probably have been more foreshadowing in TESB rather than just, "oh btw there's another Death Star k thanks"

The Fetts would have gotten better roles and more just fates

Vader's personality in ANH would probably have been slightly different, though honestly I quite like it the way it is. I feel that he would be even more assertive, more aggressive as opposed to just being the "rough and tough henchman" that he is in the present version of ANH

Tatooine would probably appear in TESB. Not sure why I think that, but it's just sort of a gut feeling

Some remnants on the Confederacy would survive into the OT rather than having to be completely eradicated. I think there was even an EU piece that said that the Empire reactivated some of the droids to serve as guards to their weapon supply depots or something

A lot of characters would either have expanded or decreased roles. Can't think of specifics outside of who's already been mentioned

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head....

6. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    Off the top of my head...

Yoda and Darth Sidious would feature more through episode 4 and the Sith would be mentioned across episodes 4-6.
    The prophecy would be mentioned and given some significance through episodes 4-6.
    Luke would be much younger in episode 4.
    Only one Death Star, which would feature in episode 6.
    Luke would not fall in love with, and be snogged by, Princess Leia.
    Leia wouldn't have mysterious 'force memories' of her mother.
    Who trained who amongst Yoda, Qui Gon and Obiwan would be made clearer.

Tosche_Station likes this.
  7. JaymieSecord

Jul 19, 2014
    As a way to mirror Ep I, what a cool idea to think about.

8. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Don't know if I'd want to see a 9 year old running around shooting people with a blaster

9. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    For the record...

I'm not saying that any of the things I mentioned above are necessarily a good idea. Just that if the films were written together, I think they'd likely happen.

10. Imperial Reject

Imperial Reject Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    I don't think much would have changed Just some of the things people have already mentioned Yoda and Palpatine, prequel terminology and so forth perhaps they would have gone to coruscant in Return Of The Jedi like in the original draft. I think they would be the same films just with prequel stuff kinda like what he was trying to do in the Special Editions

Revious Nugo likes this.
  11. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i think the main thing is there'd be less Han getting rescued in ROTJ and more Coruscant and political stuff.

12. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Would not be surprised if Han was cut all together.

13. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    Replacing Han time with politics time...

That's a sorry state of affairs! :p

14. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    It sure is but would it really surprise anyone?

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  15. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004

No. :(

16. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Jedi, Sith, lightsabers and the Force all the time. No muggles allowed.

Tosche_Station and MOC Yak Face like this.
  17. Commander Krix

Commander Krix Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    Agreed.

May as well put a sign up saying "No Smuggler's Allowed" on the Death Star.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  18. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    This is a hard question to answer because the WHOLE saga would be different. not just 4-6. Reason I say that is because certain things from 4-6 influence 1-3. For example. Yoda went into hiding... they had to show that because that's what the OT showed. But if we didn't have to force a story who's to say there would even be a Yoda (Remember Yoda was created after they killed of Ben Kenobi. Ben Kenobi was suppose to live through ANH. When he died and when they made ESB they had to create a new Jedi master).

These are one of the questions that realistically can never be answered, but its fun to think about. So IF 1-3 were the same then what would 4-6 look like?

I'd like to through a fun one out there. Since Clone Wars is canon I'd love to think since the emperor said to Maul in clone wars.........................SPOILER................................ he still has use for him... and didn't kill him. Maybe during 4-6 Maul could be brought in some how. What if the Emperor kept Maul frozen only to awaken him if need be. Maybe at the end of ROTJ when Vader and Emperor die we go to some hidden Imperial base. Some imperial troop says to anther "Sir. We have just gotten a message that the Emperor and Lord Vader have been killed by the Alliance." Other troop "Hurry we need to proceed then with the Emperors orders. We need to revive subject #1138" Then we see the troops approach a glass bacta tank like object. At first you can't see whats in the object because its filled with fog. They press a few buttons. Then within the tank the fog clears up. You see Darth Maul! This could be something the Emperor had as a back up incase the Sith were killed. He had a 3rd Sith (Maul) kept and to be revived if something were to happen to both existing sith. Some fun thoughts.

This would be more of a set up for the 3rd trilogy. :)

19. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Good thread so say GL did 1-6 in row, starting in 1990, 1993, 1996, 1999, 2002 and 2005. It would be cool to see Obi Wan, Palpatine, Anakin/Vader, all played by the same actors, Boba n Jango played by real father son actors

20. JaymieSecord

Jul 19, 2014
    Seeing Maul in 4-6, or even in 3 for that matter, would have been sick. Considering Clone Wars is canon, as mentioned, seeing Maul with his spider-like legs in non-animated form would be such a cool thing.

Admittedly, while this is a stretch, seeing the emperor killed off a little earlier with a one-two-punch of Vader and Maul would have been an evil feast of awesomeness.

21. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    OK, let's not get too carried away - 'What-if?' threads aren't really permitted in this forum, so keep the discussion focused on the original topic, i.e. how the same story might have realistically turned out if it had been written in full to begin with, based on the actual SW Saga as it turned out, not the gazillion possibilities of what could be done, and what would be teh awesome.
    It's a slippery slope - and the Saga In-Depth forum really doesn't need to address issues like "What if Batman was trained by Yoda and fought Transformer Lando with the help of the Powerpuff Girls?" *

That said, here's what I think would be added/changed:
    - the Imperial March would feature in SW/ANH;
    - Bail Organa and Alderaan would be seen in SW/ANH (Bail Organa does actually feature in the radio drama, BTW);
    - Palpatine dissolving the Senate would be seen in SW/ANH, along with a hologram communication with Vader & Tarkin;
    - Luke and Leia's dialogue in ROTJ regarding Leia's mother would reflect what was seen in ROTS more closely, with Leia being somewhat vaguer on the details;
    - the actor playing Anakin Skywalker in Eps I-III would play the unmasked Vader in ROTJ as well as his aged Force Ghost.

*They'd all die brutally, in case anyone was wondering:p

22. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    As much as I dislike fans who say stuff like this, your parody of them is Awesome!

23. Gen Rendar

Gen Rendar Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2014
    It really depends on under what conditions it was written under. So much of each Star Wars movie was influence not only by those before it, but also the fan feedback and limitations of the budgets and technology of the era. A clear example of this is how Jar Jar is downplayed following the fan reaction to Episode I.

So, If I am to assume Lucas was writing them all at once from scratch with his own budget; how would they be different? Also, are we taking into account if Lucas is writing them all with the knowledge and outlook he has now, or is he writing it as if he is in the mindset of first creating the series? It's impossible to tell, but if I were to mesh my general assumption of things together I think it would be like this:
    • Lucas would start with Episode I, as that is what he feels is the proper watch order(this would of course depend greatly on budget and studio influence).
    • The Episode numbers would be less important. I think if it was written as one epic from the start it would default to a more "Adventures of Luke Skywalker" feel. I think a big limitation to the story in the prequels was the restriction of only having three episodes.
    • There would possibly be no Qui-Gon. Qui-Gon was created largely out of Obi-Wans original role in Episode I. I think, If the whole process was being developed at once, it's very possible Obi-wan would appear older from the start.
    • No Sifo-dias reference, or it would have been transformed into a big reveal.
    • Plagueis might not have been mentioned, and Sidious might have been responsible for Anakins creation.
    • Episode III would be entirely different, or at least the ending would be. I just can't see Lucas making such a bleak ending to a Star wars film without the direct knowledge of what comes next(assuming he makes them in chronological order).
    • Some villians from the prequel trilogy would appear in the later episodes, as would some battle droids, ships and other tech to a degree.
    • Luke and Lea would not be related, or if they were Lea would not have been named in Episode III and a secondary character would have been introduced to make the mystery of Luke's sister a bigger event and surprise.
    • Han would shoot first.
    • Obi-wan would not have had the "from a certain point of view speech," instead he would have been portrayed in a more honest light.
    • The Death Star might still appear in Episode IV, but in a much more unfinished state, in each Episode we would see it closer and closer to being completed.
    • In Episode IV, Luke would be flying to blow up the death star at the same time Obi-wan and Vader duel. Obi-wan wouldn't become a force ghost till the end of the film.
    • The differences between Clone Troopers and Storm Troopers would be worked into the films.
    • We would see a lot more aliens in the later episodes(I feel this was only a limitation of the budget and time the OT was made).
    • Lando would have been introduced earlier and likely had some connection to an event or character from the prequels.
    • I agree that Yoda would likely not be as "crazy hermit who fights with R2 over a candy bar" and we would get a more detailed explanation about how the old Jedi were not perfect and what Yoda has learned since then.
    • The Vader reveal would take place earlier in Episode V and the film would more strongly center on the revelation and Luke's turmoil.
    • Boba Fett would play a much larger role in Episode IV and V, and get a much more epic "death" in VI.
    • Episode VI would feature Chewbacca liberating his homeworld, which we would have seen enslaved in Episode III.
    • There would be a lot of build up and development for Vader during Episode VI, and we would get a more detailed arc where we are unsure if Vader wants to be redeemed or not.
    • The final confrontation with Palpatine would take place in his throne room on Coruscant. Vader would take Luke there rather than the Death Star.
    Just wild speculation, but that's my take on it.

CoolyFett and Kao Cen Darach like this.
  24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Or Chewie would have started out as an Ewok in the first place?

25. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, because the original intention was for the Ewoks to be Wookiees.