main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx If i were going to move to Phx

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by jawajames , Mar 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    There is the possibility that I may have a job opportunity in Phoenix, and so i am asking for some help in figuring out the cost of living in the phoenix area... how much is rent, housing, car insurance, etc. i know that things are cheaper out there, but don't have any real idea on actual dollar amounts. i'd be taking a bit of a pay cut at first if i took this job, but i think i would be a lot happier with it than my current work. also, anyone got any job leads in biological research or biotech in Phoenix that i could pass onto my girlfriend...

2. Sistine

Sistine Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    James, it will floor you in Phoenix...
    Did you know that you can buy a house out there... A nice house for under 200K

Apartment pricing will make you wonder why you ever lived in San Diego paying $900+++ for a one bedroom

For me, I just can't stand the heat! Too many years of Swamp cooler repair and cars with no AC...

3. Princess_Skywalker_

Princess_Skywalker_ Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 5, 2002
    James!!!
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I can't live without Angely goodness parties! ;p
    Maybe something better will open up at your work and keep you in SD. Hope so. I'd miss ya!
    *crosses fingers*

4. EmprsHandMick

EmprsHandMick Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    Biotech huh? What's her particular field? I'm currently working as a microbiologist for the state which is a pretty good gig, theres also ASU and several companies around that do various sorts of testing. PM and I'll give you the name of my old company that you should have her avoid at all costs though. :)
    I was paying less than 550/month for a resonably decent 600sq ft, 1 bedroom apt a year ago, and that included pet rent of $50. That can help give you a general notion of prices.

5. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 13, 2002
    It really depends on the area of the east valley you intend to live in.

For example, Chandler/Gilbert are much more expensive to live in versus Mesa. And Tempe can be pretty expensive, depending on the area in which you live. Just like any town there's bad spots and good spots to each area.

I was renting an apartment in Ahwatukee (considered to be part of Phoenix) for $900 for 900 sq ft (1 bedroom) 3 years ago. But that was in the heart of "yuppie-town". When I looked at Tempe, I could have gotten an apt with the same space for ~$600 - but the area was more dingy and not as safe. In Mesa, you can get an apt with that same space for ~$500/month.

Phoenix itself is a very large town and there's a wide range of areas there as well. Oh, and there's Scottsdale, but I don't know about prices there, other than the taxes are much more expensive.

Purchasing a home will have different pricing all together. In my area of Mesa, a townhouse goes for about $150K, but then in the older area of Mesa, you can get a nice townhouse for $80K. So as you can see, it really depends on the specific area of the east valley.

Insurance also depends on where you live. I end up paying $20 more a month in insurance because I live in the heart of snowbird country right now - Mesa. But if you live in Chandler/Gilbert, it's actually less. Phoenix - I have no idea. Edited to add: I think the specific amt is going to depend on your choice of vehicle - but I was paying $100/month for my truck in insurance - so about $600 for 6 months. (I just bought a new car and my insurance is outrageous now!)

Hope that helps somewhat. :)

6. QuiGon_butnot4gotten

QuiGon_butnot4gotten Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2001
    Checkout apartmentguide.com for a good idea on price ranges for apartments in various parts of the valley.

7. Jedi_PrincessAZ

Jedi_PrincessAZ Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 20, 2003
    You might have your girlfriend check out the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale. Here's their website...

Mayo Clinic Jobsite

They have an excellent research area. I'm not sure exactly what all of their current projects are, but I've got friends doing research on breast cancer and cystic fibrois. I know they have a bunch of openings right now.

8. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    thanks for all the tips!

9. Commander_Choad

Commander_Choad Jedi Master star 4

Sep 11, 2002
    rent.com

They cut you a $100 check after you sign a lease through their site...

Free money is always nice.

10. Daikon

Daikon Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 23, 2004
    at monstermoving.com they have cost of living calculators that would tell you how much you would have to make to have the same buying power in the new town.

-D-

edit- "The cost of living in San Diego, California is 107.1% higher than that of Phoenix, Arizona"
    which means I would need to double my pay in order to move to SD.

11. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    i just went to monstermoving and got the same result...

12. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    well, i heard back from the company and they filled the position with someone else, and i appear to be 'overqualified' heh.

poogas

13. Princess_Skywalker_

Princess_Skywalker_ Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 5, 2002
    Sorry they filled it with someone else. :( But I am glad you'll still be around down here. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.