main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC If I wrote a book, is it ok to tell you guys about it?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Damo, Jun 7, 2014.

1. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    wait so there's christian stuff in your book. does that mean i should take it literally

2. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    so you've added a perspective, you censored the affair for religious reasons and because you dont think it is important, (which is fine, i guess, you're making your own version, you can do what you want), and the princes you chose to go with because of the potential for additonal plot complications to work with. but i guess what im really curious about is what is your PURPOSE in writing and more importantly publishing this? is it just for the hell of it? is it for practice? are there particular themes you wish to illustrate that you feel the arthurian legend can be made to illustrate? does alexander's existence within the story make it easier for you to explore those themes?

3. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    I've always enjoyed writing and have thought about trying to get published, but it always seemed too intimidating. Now, knowing that I can self publish, it makes it easier. The trilogy has acted as a launchpad of sorts for me to test the waters. I intend to branch out and do some original work in the future.

There's not any particular themes in the story that I think my take on the legend can illustrate better than others have done, really, unless you count the "one sided silent war" of sorts going on in Book Two and the early part of Book Three between Arthur and Morgause for Mordred's loyalty. For Arthur it's not even a question; he won't demand Mordred's loyalty to him (and by extension, Christianity), but let him follow his own path. Morgause, however - she wants Mordred under her complete control no matter what. She's always been loyal to the old pagan ways and wants nothing more than to see Christianity wiped off the map in Britain. To that end, she tries to convert Mordred and break his ties through some pretty b***** actions in Book Two, and when that fails, goes to extremes at the beginning of Book Three.

4. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I don't know about you guys but I'm putting this one next to my th white and le morte d'arthur on the bookshelf.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  5. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    Yeah, right.

6. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    great thread hijack, skywalker####

7. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I mean, I dig alternate histories in fictional stories and all, but Lancelot and Guinevere's affair is literally the most important event in the fall of Arthur's kingdom across a variety of sources.

8. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

i kinda thought that it was pretty important but i didnt want to interject because i consider myself subpar in my exposure and understanding to arthurian mythos. would you, point given, or anyone else care to elaborate on why this is?

9. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    If I recall, once the affair is discovered, Arthur orders the execution of Guinevere and Lancelot though the latter escapes during the discovery. Lancelot arrives with some forces to rescue Guinevere and in the process kills Gareth and Gaheris, two Knights of the Round Table and the younger brothers of Gawain who is the major Knight left after the Holy Grail quest and Lancelot's treachery. Lancelot and Guinevere escape to France and Arthur, Gawain and their army follow. Gawain dies in a battle so there's no major knight left for Arthur, and while he's still in France, his son Mordred seizes the opportunity to take the throne for himself. Arthur goes back to England and he and Mordred kill each other, ending the kingdom.

10. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    Point Given hmmm well i think you could replace that event with some OTHER betrayal by lancelot or reason for arthur to go traipsing off with his knights to france. it would probably have thematic consequences, but i dont think Skywalker8921 is necessarily looking to repeat her forebears in the genre. the only theme she's mentioned wanting to reemphasize is the christianity-supplanting-paganism aspect, which isnt an outrageous use of the tale by any means. arthurian legend falls pretty neatly into the national origin story category, and the reason we tell ourselves stories like that is often to reaffirm identity, of which religion is often a large component

11. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    My God, Rogue_Ten and Skywalkernumbers are having a conversation that is actually interesting. Guys, I think there's hope for this place after all.

No, seriously, this is quite interesting.

Oh, and back to the OP, that book is over 550 pages. Kudos on that. I've written some fiction, but I never got anything past novella length. 550 pages is impressive.

12. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006

I suppose. It's just to eliminate the affair in its entirety puzzles me. I mean, if she changed people's reactions up (like Arthur not going way overboard) in response to it, it'd work better. Granted I'm actually interested in reading this Skywalker8921

13. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    I don't expect everybody to agree with my decision to cut Lancelot/Guinevere out. Still, if anyone's interested in purchasing, I'll post the Amazon links for both books tomorrow.

The name on the books is my real name, but I prefer my SN still be used here.

Darth Damos, sorry for hijacking your thread.

14. Primetime_Jedi

Primetime_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    It's okay, Skywalker, I'm going to hijack the thread too. ;)

I was wondering the same question as the opening post - what if we wrote a book, couldn't we tell people about it here? I'm in the process of writing my first novel. I'm about 60% done and I WILL finish the darn thing. I will seek a traditional publisher and if I can't get one, do the e-publishing route.

Mine is a Star Warsy-type space opera, with a Middle-Earth-like backstory, just to give an idea of the feel of the book.

15. Darth Damo

Darth Damo Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 18, 1999
    PiettsHat Hi! I am not looking for feedback as such.. I am well aware that I need an editor. I absolutely hammered this book out in 8 months and at 196,000 words give or take, the editing process wasn't as thorough as maybe it could or should have been.

JoinTheSchwarz Yes, there is a slightly mystical or fairy tale element to the story although it can all be rationally explained too. It's down to the reader how he or she interprets things.. It is definitely an attempt to tell a story about home.

Primetime_Jedi Go for it!

Skywalker8921 Don't worry about hijacking the thread... Let's make it a place where all JC users can post about out own writing and discuss it with other like minded people. I don't mind asking a mod to change the title of the thread either.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  16. Primetime_Jedi

Apr 21, 2000
  17. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    Darth Damos, Primetime_Jedi, have you set up your own websites? I'm finally getting around to setting one up (three years late, but still.)

18. Primetime_Jedi

Apr 21, 2000
    No, but I've been thinking about it. My name as the name of the site is stil unused! I just haven't been willing to fork over the money yet for a book that's not even finished. Probably once I finish it, then do a lot of editing and get it ready for submission, then I'll start the website.

19. Darth Damo

Darth Damo Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 18, 1999
    Skywalker8921 I have not set up a website or anything.. and I also probably won't.

I am happy with just social media and word of mouth..

This is a nice thread. I am enjoying reading about all of your ideas and experiences!