main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga If introducing someone new to SW. Which trilogy would you have them watch first?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Jcuk, Mar 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    I watched it OT first, and it worked for me. I think this is a better experience first time you view it, but after that 1-6 all the way.

2. BarkingFrog

BarkingFrog Jedi Master star 2

Jan 4, 2009
    IV, V, I, II, III, VI is a fun order. Preserves both Vader's and Palpatine's twists, and gives more weight to the redemption.

3. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    There's like 10 discussions on this but:

I-II-III-IV-V-VI ...... as the creator indented for it to be watched. Works for me every time.

(oh dear, i didn't realize I had already posted in this thread)

Darkslayer and obi-rob-kenobi4 like this.
  4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    And when Lucas changes his mind again? What then? 4,5,6,1,2,3,7,8,9 FTW

5. Darth_Bizarro

Darth_Bizarro Jedi Padawan

May 25, 2011
    I've always felt that if I ever get around to having kids I would introduce them to the series through Clone Wars. 4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 6. For adult I'd probably jump ahead straight to the movies in that same order.

Once all the Bonus Arcs are finished, I'd like to look back over the series and pick out the most essential story lines that I feel really enhance the movies and incorporate them into my regular viewings.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    He's already numbered them in the order you are supposed to watch them. He won't change his mind on that. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 FTW

7. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Except by that logic, Lucas didn't want anyone to see ESB and RotJ, because when they were released, ep I-III did not exist.
    I am not buying the logic of a director that releases his films in one order but then tells us that we were not supposed to watch them in the order he made them.
    Then why did you make them in that order?

A majority of all people that have seen SW, have seen them IV-VI, I-III so obviously that way works fine.

Bye for now.
    The Guarding Dark

8. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    4-5-6-1-2-3. The order they were made.

I've heard horror stories of people whose kids saw the PT or TCW first, and ended up going through the OT constantly calling Darth Vader "Anakin". Ugh.

9. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Only call a person a different name if they were in a major role in another movie. Ex Christopher Lee's Dooku and Saruman from LOTR and SW.

10. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    He's changed the OT movies themselves how many times? 4 or 5? The PT movies once or twice already? Slap in the face much to the people who have been watching these movies since the 70's?

11. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    You honestly can't even use this quote seriously anymore, especially with the ST being released in the next few years. Lucas said after Episode III that the SW story was over, and he never had a ST in his mind as the story was the rise and fall of Anakin Skywalker. Yet.....we have Episode 7 in 2015.....:rolleyes:

12. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Make your own opinion of it based on your experiences, not the word of anyone else.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  13. BarkingFrog

BarkingFrog Jedi Master star 2

Jan 4, 2009
    Return of the Jedi solidified that name. What exactly is the problem?

14. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    I can see us all debating in 2025 for the new order of the 9 SW movies:

4-5-6-1-2-3-7-8-9 or 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9 or 4-5-6-7-8-9-1-2-3 or 4-5-1-2-3-6-7-8-9 or 1-4-7-2-5-8-3-6-9 [face_dunno]

15. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    Yep.
    Of course, I'll stick with mine (1-9), but it'll be interesting to see production order viewers and their explanation for OT-PT-ST. We all know that they won't change their minds, so... I'm looking forward to it.

16. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Well of all that have seen all SW films, a majority have seen them OT, PT so obviously that way works fine.
    In 2015 there will be two (three) groups of people.
    1) Those that saw OT then PT.
    2) Those that saw PT then OT.
    3) Those that haven't seen any SW film.

Of those, I would think 1) is the largest group.

Since this thread is about what reccomendation a person would make to someone that haven't seen SW.
    I think it is quite natural to reccomend the way you yourself saw them. If you saw OT then PT and you liked the films and felt the way worked fine then why wouldn't you reccomend that way?

A person can only have one first viewing of a film or a film series.
    Unless you feel that the way you saw the films were bad or that it weakened the story, why would you not use your own experience?

I think something similar applies if you reccomend a film or not. If you have seen a film and liked it, then it is likely that you would reccomend it. If you saw a film and disliked it then you might be less eager to reccomend it.

In closing, unless a person have very strong reasons otherwise, I think it is not abnormal to reccomend the way that you yourself saw a film series. If it worked well for you then why would it not work well for others?

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface

CaptainHamYoyo likes this.
  17. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Either four, five, six, one two and three or in numerical order.

18. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    I saw Empire (OT) first - then i watched the whole Saga I-VI. And that's the way I do it ever since, and that's the way i show it to people who've never seen Star Wars.

19. jc1138

jc1138 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 16, 2004
    I'll go with those who say:
    IV, V, I, II, III, VI
    My son is just turning 2 now, so in a few more years this is how I'll be introducing him to SW. CW, while fun, to me isn't anywhere close to on the same level as the sequence of films, and I'll show them to him after he's familiar with the movies.

20. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    1-6, though I'm more open to the release order these days. The only thing I disagree with, for a first time viewer, is one of those jumbled IV-V back to I then VI then II and III orderings.

21. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    I plan on doing I-VI, especially since we're getting a new trilogy of films, and things would just be muddied up by going IV-VI, I-III and then VII-IX. And the IV, V, I, II, III, VI order I feel wouldn't work if you're still trying to keep the "surprise" (and what surprise is there anyway? "I am your father" is so ingrained in pulp culture that everyone knows Vader is Luke's father) anyway. Oh sure, you still see the I am your father line prior to the prequels, but you still get "There is another" ruined for you in the reveal of VI by the twins' birth in III.

22. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Simple. ANH, ESB, start of ROTJ through Dagobah, TPM. AOTC. ROTS, Rest of ROTJ.

Master_Ysagon likes this.
  23. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    I wouldn't necessarily call that simple. ;) By the time you get back to the rest of ROTJ, I'm pretty sure the person you introduce to SW (say, your son or daughter) will forget about what the hell happened before. To each their own of course. I just intend on showing my kids I-VI, and then they can take it from there as far as how they like to watch them.

24. Swarley

Swarley Jedi Knight

May 15, 2013
    I would definitely watch them in release order first, but then go back through in chronological order shortly after. If you watch in chronological order first, that pretty much ruins the whole Vader is Anakin surprise in the OT. But then once you go back through in chronological order the second time right after, there's so many little things that you can pick up on that are fun.

25. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Well maybe not the first time but you won't have to worry about how Han will be rescued and the whole "There is another" like you said earlier. Besides I would prefer to wait showing the PT until we have Obi-Wan explain his position in ROTJ. Just having Vader say it and then go back into the past doesn't cut it for me.

Master_Ysagon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.