main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends If It All Fell To Pieces (Post-SACRIFICE AU) Repost and UPDATED! "Victim of Love" 12/15/08

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by The_Burberry_Ewok, Dec 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Burberry_Ewok

The_Burberry_Ewok Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2006
    So, I started this story over a year ago. Then, moving out of my old apartment, I promptly lost the jump drive that it was stored on. I found it opening a box of Christmas decorations, and dusted it off.

Voila, it's a Christmas miracle!

The premise of the story is an alternate take on the events after Sacrfice, if the EU was accompanied by a soundtrack solely composed of Eagles music. Each chapter takes its inspiration from a different song. For anyone who is still interested, I'm going to repost the first few chapters along with the update!

Thanks,
    A Resurrected BBE

----------
    Title: If It All Fell to Pieces

Author: The_Burberry_Ewok
    Timeframe: Legacy Era (WARNING- spoilers for SACRIFICE)
    Characters: Luke Skywalker, Jaina Solo, Jacen Solo, Jagged Fel, Han and Leia Solo, etc.
    Genre: Drama, Action, Romance
    Summary: What happens when it all falls to pieces- a government, a galaxy, a family? How do you rebuild? And how can you rebuild a galaxy when the deepest betrayal is within your own family?
    Disclaimer: All names, places, situations, etc. recognizable belong to others. I am merely playing with the masterpieces of others. Any lyrics are used without permission of the Eagles, Don Henley, Jackson Browne, etc.

Each chapter of this story will take its title and inspiration from the lyrics of an Eagles song. I?ll include the lyrics for each chapter at the end of the post.

Prologue

Hole In The World

Numb.

He wanted to feel numb again. It was easier.

The pain was so ragged, so raw that he could hardly breathe.

She had been a part of him in every way. Then she was gone. Now there was a hole in his world, and it could never be filled.

Luke took a deep breath, fighting past the tightness in his chest. He slowly exhaled, and the quiet sound echoed in the dark room. In the days since his battle with Lumiya, since the torturous journey back to Coruscant, he had hardly left. Just off the main Council chamber, it was his much-begroaned, de facto office. Mara laughing dubbed it the ?Inner Sanctum.? And while every inch was space was inundated with memories of her- a holo displayed here, a houldout blaster holster discarded there- it was easier than going home.

It was also the first time he?d been alone since his return. Jaina and Ben turned into his shadows, trailing him everywhere. It was all they could do; neither knew what to say. As long as they focused on holding Luke together, they wouldn?t have to fall apart. At the moment, they were on their way to the Temple?s landing pad. Han and Leia were on approach. The plan was to sneak them into the Temple before the Guard was alerted to their presence on the planet. Before she left, Jaina told him to get some sleep. It didn?t matter if he did. The hole would still be there tomorrow.

Luke stood and stretched. He had been sitting for far too long. There had to be something he could do?anything. He tried to meditate, to seek guidance, but everything was under a cloud of fear and sorrow. Bitter frustration gnawed at him. Of their own accord, his fists clenched. Frustration morphed into anger. Sith. I will destroy? Immediately, he clamped down on his feelings, waiting for the exasperated ?Farmboy? in the back of his mind?

That would never come again.

He fell back into his chair and buried his head in his hands. It took all his strength to will the tears not to return.

----------

The military corridor was buzzing with activity. Officers scurried around, carrying datapads of utmost importance and greatest secrecy. Most were so absorbed in their own little battles that they scarcely noticed the two men in dark robes. Within breaking stride, they moved unerringly toward the office of Admiral- and now acting co-Chief of State- Cha Niathal.

When they reached the outer office, the young Lieutenant didn?t even spare them a glance. ?I?m sorry; you?ll have to return later. The Admiral is terribly busy now and running behind schedule as it is. Please give our office

2. The_Burberry_Ewok

Oct 16, 2006
    ----------

Chapter One
    Desperado

----------

It was only appropriate that it was raining. In fact, it had been raining for days, drizzling on and off. Jacen pulled the hood of his Jedi robes closer around his face. The robes felt foreign; he hadn?t touched them in weeks. He didn?t consider himself a Jedi anymore- hadn?t for a long time, if he was honest with himself. Wearing them now gave him a secret thrill- a Sith walking into a group of Jedi masters, dressed like one of them.

He looked around, half out of wariness and half out of curiosity. There wasn?t a large crowd gathered, but the names of those present were recognized all over the galaxy. Standing apart from the group, he scanned their faces. There were a few politicians there, not out of any sympathy for Luke or affection for Mara, but to see and be seen. Jacen could sympathize. One of the senators met Jacen?s eyes and started to move towards him. Not wanting to speak with him, Jacen deliberately turned away, curious to see who else was present.

Talon Karrde?s normal composure was nowhere to be found. The smuggler chief looked tired and old. One of his arms was wrapped around Shada Dukal?s shoulders, both for emotional and physical support. Ghent stood next to them. Even after his years with New Republic Intelligence, he never lost that look of perpetual bewilderment. For the first time since Jacen had known him, it looked appropriate.

There was a small collection of military and intelligence officers standing across the courtyard. He knew all of them. Most had served with Luke and Mara during the various wars in one way or another. A some even served in the Rebellion with Luke. There were a few noticeable absences.

Jacen kept his eyes on everyone but those standing beside him. It was irrational, but he couldn?t look his sister or parents in the eye. It hadn?t been a surprise to see his parents at the funeral; he had received the memo about their temporary permission to be on the planet. It was one of the few instances of genuine communication in the fledgling Alliance government. Coups don?t tend to promote cooperation and transparency, Jacen thought wryly. There was even greater reason to avoid his sister. No matter how tightly he clamped down on his connection with those around him, Jacen could never entirely sever the link with his twin. If she didn?t actively suspect, she certainly didn?t trust him, and he had learned the hard way about Jaina?s harder edges.

Motion to his left captured Jacen?s attention. The crowd parted, and Luke stepped forward, carrying the shrouded body. Behind him followed Ben, his Jedi robes seeming to pull his already hunched frame even farther down. Gently, Luke placed Mara?s shrouded body on the prepared pyre. He placed one hand over Mara?s heart and quietly whispered goodbye.

As he stepped away, he stumbled. As Luke tried to catch himself, Jacen got his first good look at his uncle?s face. It was hardly recognizable- haggard and lined, the dark circles under his eyes reflected in dark, despairing eyes. Their eyes met and held for a long moment.

Colonel Jacen Solo of the Galactic Alliance Guard was torn.

The small part of Jacen Solo that remained wanted to run comfort him. That part of him was still Jasa, excited over visits from his uncle- visits he knew would involve treats and fantastic stories of far away places. His memories flared. In his mind?s eye, he saw pictures of a young boy defending his uncle?s prone body, a slightly older boy wondering through tropical forests debating with the master walking at his side.

However, that part of Jacen Solo grew smaller every day. The ever-growing darkness, the part of him that was Darth Caedus, took in Luke?s face and smiled. The Sith had no room for regrets or time to ask ?what if.? There was a larger plan at work.

It was a moment of pride. He, Darth Caedus of the Sith, had managed to do something that no one- not Darth Vader, not the Emperor, not the Yuuzhan Vong hordes- had ever managed, no matter how hard they trie

3. The_Burberry_Ewok

Oct 16, 2006
    ----------

Chapter 2

Victim of Love

----------

Jaina knew she should be home. It was the night after her aunt?s funeral, her parents were staying in the guest room of her temporary quarters, and that didn?t even take into account the fact that there was a Sith loose somewhere in the galaxy. The last place Jaina Solo needed to be was a low-life cantina on a forgotten level of Coruscant.

It was the only place she wanted to be.

She hadn?t told anyone where she was going. Even she didn?t know where she was headed. Earlier in the day, she set up a sparring session with Jag and Zekk. If she couldn?t work out her emotions by hunting down her aunt?s killer immediately, she would work out her frustrations by training for that eventual confrontation. It never crossed her mind that she wouldn?t be the one to find the Sith, and neither Jag or Zekk offered any suggestion otherwise. It was a brutal session?all three walked away with more than a few bruises.

?Ready??

Jaina didn?t bother answering Jag?s inquiry. She merely ignited her lightsaber, holding it in a low guard. Beside her, Zekk?s blade also flared into life. Across the room from them, Jag raised his blaster in a brief salute. The room hummed in silent expectation; all three were perfectly still.

Then they exploded into motion.

Jaina pivoted and swung at Zekk, her violet blade sweeping through the air where his neck had been only seconds ago. Even as he fell back to avoid her strike, his own blade came up to deflect Jag?s shots. To the untrained eye, the three blasts would have looked like one. Immediately after firing at Zekk, Jag shifted his aim, targeting the space where Jaina?s momentum would land her.

Pulling back from her swing at Zekk, Jaina checked her momentum. Jag?s shots passed harmlessly over her shoulder. Before Zekk could regain his balance from his previous fall, Jaina reached out in the force. Zekk?s body flew toward Jag.

Jag planted his feet, allowing his knees to absorb the impact of the taller man. Even as he braced for impact, he let off a flurry of shots. Jaina managed to avoid most, but one bolt grazed her across the hip. Her low grunt was masked by the thud of Zekk bouncing off Jag and into the wall.

In a heartbeat, Jaina was across the training room. Idly, she raised a hand and Zekk?s blade settled neatly in her palm. The amber lightsaber sprang into life in her grasp, and she advanced toward Jag and Zekk. The latter scrambled to his feet and reached out in the force for his blade. Jaina merely smirked and propelled the blade to the furthest corner of the room. Turning her attention toward Jag, she deftly switched off her lightsaber and hung it at her belt. Jag?s right foot shot toward her knee, even as he brought his blaster to bear for another shot. Jaina shifted her weight, moving out of the path of his kick. Behind her, Jaina could sense Zekk recovering his weapon and moving back toward the sparring pair. Her attention, however, remained focused on Jag, as her forearm caught his blaster under the barrel. Instead of shooting, Jag found himself merely trying to hold on to his weapon. Using her forward momentum, Jaina hooked her right leg around Jag?s left, unbalancing him. Her other hand shot out and pulled at his blaster as he fell. She flipped the blaster in the air, and caught it with her finger on the trigger. At the same time, she reached down and reignited her saber. When she finally stopped moving, her left hand held a lightsaber only inches from Zekk?s throat and her right pointed the blaster directly between Jag?s eyes.

Without any emotion, she only said, ?I win,? before walking out of the training room.

After wandering around the lowest levels of the planet-wide city, Jaina stumbled into a dimly lit cantina. It was the sort of place where no one would want to recognize a Jedi?the law was bad for business. In other words, it was the perfect place to lose herself.

Of course, that plan would only work if you weren?t being followed.

Jain

4. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Very interseting, I like it, I like it. I believe that I read this a long time ago, and you seem to have updated it. Nice work, I look forward to seeing more. I'll write a longer review for you later, but I just wanted to say that I like it.

5. melino

melino Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 12, 2008
    I really like where this is going so far! I'm so glad you found it again it would have such a shame to have lost it :) If you are doing PM's please add me to your list!

Great work! =D=

6. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    This is excellent. =D= Great updates! :)

7. PadmeSolo2011

PadmeSolo2011 Jedi Youngling

Nov 16, 2008
    love the story so far! can u plz add me to the pm list??

8. smash128

smash128 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 9, 2008
    I like it as well, very interesting.

9. smash128

smash128 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 9, 2008
    Can you PM me when you update?

10. blurt

blurt Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2008
    Great story, can't wait to see where it goes.

11. Kailene

Kailene Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 17, 2009
    Love the story so far. Can't wait for more - hope you update soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.