main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT If It Were Up to You What Would Be Your Ending to ROTJ?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by SkywalkerJedi02, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    That's like saying that Vader's "Nooooooo" was lifted from ROTS even though it clearly wasn't. None of the gungans on that roof looks or dresses like Jar Jar, nor does it sound like him.

- Whosa dis?
    - I'm Lando Calrissian. I'm the administrator of this facility - and who might you be?

/LM

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    23 years seems like something that would change things- an elderly Jar Jar wouldn't necessarily sound much like a young one, or dress the same.

Still- the basic point is sound.

3. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999

I stand corrected. Still, the point is the same. Even if it's not Jar Jar I still find it out of place. But hey, I'm a purist. I listen to The Beatles on mono vynil, my favorite record ever is from 1971 and my copies of the trilogy are lifted from the laserdiscs. There are a lot of fans like me and this type of additions feel unnecessary to say the least. The level of joy, creativity and unanimous respect felt towards Star Wars in the mid 90s was incredible and all that's lost now. Gungans dancing at the end of the classic trilogy feels like a kick in the face.

KilroyMcFadden likes this.
  4. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    Good Lord..... what have I done???
    Leave my trilogy alone, GL!!!

KilroyMcFadden and Sarge like this.
  5. Trisdin Gheer

Trisdin Gheer Jedi Master star 2

Jun 18, 2013
    - Leia isn't Luke's sister
    - Han dies on Endor
    -The 'Other Skywalker' plot thread is left hanging

6. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    whose trilogy?

SkywalkerJedi02 and Sarge like this.
  7. Trisdin Gheer

Trisdin Gheer Jedi Master star 2

Jun 18, 2013
    I also think the final sequences should have been an attack on Coruscant, rather than a second Death Star. When you think about it, the plot of ROTJ would work almost seamlessly for that scenario.

8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Mine. Mine! Or I will help you not.

Mr. K likes this.
  9. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Replace Admiral Ackbar with Admiral Jar Jar and I'd be happy.

10. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999

I was weaned on that trilogy like a suckling cub. IT'S MINE!

11. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    The 97 SE ending,so Wedge is included and Shaw is Older Anakin but with Yub Nub instead of the Victory celebration song. I memorized Yub nub's lyrics by the age of five and the steel drum part of the song still sounds to me like it actually came from the imp helmets when compared to what replaced it. A little off topic but now as an adult I realize that that really is kinda disturbing, I mean it is entirely possible that those "cute" teddy bears decapitated a bunch of stormtroopers and Imp soldiers. I would not put it past them as they were gonna eat Luke, Han, and Chewie earlier. I could almost imagine the Ewoks having Head viewing ceremonies like the samurai did. Each warrior would have to bring them to Chief Chirpa for inspection. Sorry about the tangent but I just realized this after watching ROTJ on Spike the other night. The ewoks are vicious little monsters in cute cuddly bodies kinda like Chucky from childs play.

12. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    I'm good with the original ending. No changes necessary.

13. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Now that it's been brought up, I have to say that the one thing I do have a passionate opinion on about the ending is the song. I'm not even an Ewok hater, but I just can't take Yub Nub seriously.

14. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    And 'Victory Celebration' is so much better? 'Yub Nub' was silly, harmless fun, probably not the best song to finish the epic SW Saga on, but at least it wasn't the awful, limp, syrupy muzak it was replaced with.

Music-wise, ROTJ should have ended with a reworking of the 'Throne Room Celebration' from SW/ANH (perhaps a bit more rustic or folksy to suit the environment), then there'd be no debate at all. It's a variation on the Jedi theme anyway, and it would have been perfect.

Other than that, I wouldn't really change much about the ending of ROTJ (the Hayden/Shaw controversy is another issue - but one way or another, it's still Anakin Skywalker's ghost). The bleaker and more open-ended ideas that have been revealed over the years are interesting, but they belong to a vision of the SW Saga that never happened, something that ceased to exist back in the late 1970s/early 1980s.

I'd have loved to have seen Luke wander away by himself at the end, leaving the others to their celebration, perhaps on a mission to deal with his dark heritage and what it meant for himself, but back in 1982/83, it was most likely that ROTJ was the last SW film that would ever be made, with the barest of chances that the promised Prequel Trilogy would ever come to pass, and almost definite that Eps VII-IX wouldn't ever, ever happen.

kubricklynch likes this.
  15. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    Uh yes, it's clearly lifted from ROTS (albeit perhaps slightly edited).

16. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    No, it's not. It's vastly different.

EDIT: OK, maybe it is :) It still feels very different, though.

- I'm not going to lose you the way I lost my mother.
    - This is totally different!

/LM

Mange likes this.
  17. Little Mike

Little Mike Jedi Youngling

Jun 23, 2013
    I read somewhere that it was going to be just that, but I don't think it was called Coruscant. There was something else about two Death Stars.

18. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    My Ideal ending would be the force ghosts of Obi Wan, Yoda, and Anakin sitting at a glowing blue table drinking a cup of coffee, Anakin and Obi Wan share a few laughs and everything is awesome an jolly. Next thing you know Mace Windu walks in wearing an eye patch over his eye and says to Luke, "I'm here to talk to you about the Avengers Initiative." Luke agrees to go and the scene shifts up to a tree, behind the tree there are fireworks, but hiding on a branch you see Loki looking down at them and Laughing. The audience is wondering what is going on, but before they can come to a conclusion, Spider-man comes from a web and whacks Loki out of the tree. Mace Windu's ship takes off far in the back ground and you see spider-man sign in disappointment, saying "all I wanted to do was be in the Avengers....." and then the scene closes!

Well, we all have our dreams done we? [face_coffee]

19. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    Yes, there were indeed two Death Stars and the capital planet was called Had Abbadon (I've forgotten which of the drafts it was though but the Making of ROTJ book should clear that up). I think it's a pity that the Imperial capital didn't make it to the screen in 1983. Look at how well Douglas Trumbull created the future Los Angeles for Blade Runner for example. A few models and matte paintings would've made the trick.

20. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    Best sci fi location ever IMO. I still think it's much more convincing and has better cinematography than establishing shots of Kamino, Utapau, Kashyyyk, etc.