Amph "If It's Halloween, It Must Be Saw.": The Saw Saga

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarkPrince, Aug 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    He filed a lawsuit against the producers claiming he wasn't paid what was promised.

The asian actor who played Danny Glover's partner is the ghost-psychic sent to the island on the boat in Lost.
  2. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    Cheers :)

And I just appreciated the irony in asking "Who was the other" when talking about actors from Lost :p
  3. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Rented IV which i'll be watching in a little bit, but saw thetag line on the DV cover and couldn't resist speculating on the next victim.

[image=http://shocktillyoudrop.com/nextraimages/saw4dvdcoverrotten.jpg]

[image=http://www.speedmetal.com/core/wp-content/plugins/random-image/ackbar.jpg]

"Live or fried, make your choice."
  4. DarthArsenal6 Force Ghost

star 5
    What is the point of SAW ?
  5. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    T2Q. I'd be interested in your thoughts after watching it.

I've watched all 4 films in the last few days, including my first ever viewing of Saw IV.
  6. PadmeA_Panties Jedi Youngling

star 4
    What is the point of Star Wars?
  7. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Well, i had seen Saw IV in theaters last year but it's more clear to me now than it was then (as I mentioned, I had trouble recalling events from II & III being referenced here, whih caused some confusion) having done the full viewing.

IV is an odd beast- at this point in the series, it's pretty much in a serialistic (albeit non-linear) mode, wich makes it harder to fully enjoy if you aren't familiar with the prior 3 films (Wahlberg from II, who escapes in III during brief flashbacks, is brought up here with little exposition) yet introduces several new characters to make it semi-jump-onable.

It's a good mix of the previous films- whereas III was about giving forgiveness this one is about letting go, so IV shares that "personal lesson for a character" motif that wasn't as central or present in I or II. The p;otlines are much more integrated, though- for much of III the "forgiveness" guy's plotline seemed unrelated to the Jigsaw/Amanda plotline. That's not the case here, as Riggs and the FBI agent threads are headed in the same direction from the start instead of just intersecting at the end.

I also enjoyed the new seamless transition shots (such as someone falling through a mirror and landing on the floor that then pans up and becomes a police station, for example). Very cool.

IV's strongest facet is the insight in Jigsaw/John's past, which fully convinces the audience to almost look at him as an anti-hero or sympathetic/relateable character. We're rooting for him in those flashbacks (for the most part).

This is the movie whee Jigsaw becomes something more than a mastermind killer and rises from being peers among Freddy, Jason and John Doe to being among the likes of Hannibal Lector.

Though one thought now occurs to me- if IV is taking place at the same time as III, how do the police (during the scene where they find the strung-up body of the female detective who was killed by Amanda in III) know that Amanda was Jigsaw's apprentice?

As far as i can recall, no one who ever saw her or knew about her survived, except for the son stuffed in the safe if he had seen anything between the house and lair and told the cops after being discovered at the end of II.

One facet is watching people make impossible chocies while trying to out-think or solve the elaborate mousetraps and plans-within-plans they find themself caught in the middle of, and trying to figure out the mystery and puzzle with them. There are the philosophical underpinnings as well as the slow unraveling of the past of a genious of a man who begins to do evil things for what he thinks is good, and those he persuays to his philosophy (or not). And there's the elaborate tapestry of intertwinned plots and events across several films.
  8. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    I'm going to the midnight showing tonight... I can't wait!
  9. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    This was the first Saw movie that I didn't like at all... the pendulum at the beginning was cool... but the main victims were all very dull and most of their deaths were boring... decapitation and explosion? That's really how you're gonna kill two of the main victims? ugh... and the ending pissed me off... where is the classic Saw "intertwine and weave everything together" ending?!?!

ugh, I'm just really disappointed.
  10. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I'm initially dissapointed (but then, I had that initial feeling overall to 3 & 4 (with exception to certain aspects) and later liked them alot better during this reviewing this past week).

I think my main dissapointment is that most of the twist is easy to see coming (though the reversal with the glass box was good) and the I didn't care for the new FBI agent. the film's more straight-forward than previous installments too. I do think switching out Darren for this new guy may be one factor in this (perhaps his running behind schedule contributed to him being replaced by David the production designer; or maybe not- as VI is slated to be directed by Saw editor Kevin Greutert).

Once again, the flashbacks with Jigsaw and how Perez figures into past events was good (though it seems to continue the pattern of diminishing "Ben"'s role in the events of the first movie).

Alot of the lackluster aspects of the traps I think has to do with Perez's lack of creativity/engineering skills in comparison to Jigsaw's

I was thrilled to see the origin around the razor wire victim from the first movie- I was just thinking about that the other day in regards to unconnected elements (I guess this leaves, what? fire guy, stomach victim and the blind guy in with the lawyer?).

I was pleasantly amused to see that the movie opens with footage shot for Saw IV but which wasn't used in that movie (you can see them filming it on the last name of principle photography in Darren's diaries on the DVD) and which was strangely not on the DVD's deleted scenes. Another "I was wondering about that" moment.

Also it's a bit weird for the credits not to go to the main song on the soundtrack like the past 4, instead using the Jigsaw theme (which, is admittedly awesome, but I was really liking the strange vibes of music selection there).

This is also the first installment to really leave overt elements that are obviously meant to not be fully relevant until the sequel (the contents of the box, for instance).
  11. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    $45 Million...not bad.
  12. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    A little behind pace for a Saw sequel, but it faced a stiffer competition this year, plus Halloween events have been overshadowed by the enormity of the election being in such close proximity. It could still recover, though, as I don't think there's much high-profile horror competition on the near horizon. I think it'll end up coming pretty close to Saw IV's total but will no way make it near the total for II or III.

However, if VI is indeed the final movie and they play that up in the marketing, VI has a definite shot at reaching those totals.
  13. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    BUMP

It's another year. And if it's Halloween...it must be SAW. ;)

Going to catch it Sat night. Haven't had the chance to rewatch V yet but hopefully I'll be able to pick up the details still. Not sure what to expect since they've revealed very little about this one's plot in the previews, thoufh this is obviously not the concluding chapter of Saw as I thought I had read (it seems they've announced as far ahead as Saw VIII).
  14. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
  15. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    That's a pretty good article- pretty funny how the MPAA gave them an NC-17 for gore that wasn't actually in the movie because they couldn't afford the special effects and had to have it happen off-camera. [face_laugh]

It also reitterates points I've made about the appeal of the series:

The enduring charm ? if that?s the word ? of the ?Saw? cycle can?t be chalked up merely to the films? carnage and elaborate instruments of torture. To their creators and biggest fans, the attraction is the movies? puzzle-box plots and, as crazy as it sounds, vision of justice.

??Saw? is not just a slash ?em and kill ?em picture...It?s a thinking man?s horror movie with a moral center.?

Anyways...

Caught VI earlier this evening- on the whole, it's better than V and about on par with IV. Not as good as I-III, though. The health insurance plotline was unexpected but eventually felt like a natural extension to the backstory, given John's condition and connections.

The ending may make Perez more dangerous than ever now- especially for John's wife. He is "The Vengeful" one afterall. Of course he'd have to survive John's "out" for her...
  16. Benny_Blanco Jedi Master

star 4

Just saw number 6, and I have to say I thought it was pretty weak and forced...I`m guessing they should have stopped after maybe 3 or 4 - my wife was trying to figure out the different plot-lines as we were leaving the cinema and I was like, "Who cares?"

I`m quite disappointed as I normally LOVE the Saw films, but they`re REALLY clutching at straws now! Although, the "acid death" scene was WAY cool!
  17. redxavier Force Ghost

star 4
    Just seen SAW I and II for the first time. I'm not sure how anybody could consider him an anti-hero or some kind of moral character. He's no Dexter, and no John Doe from Se7en (who clearly targetted people who were more than minor 'practictioners' of each of the sins).

I wonder if in the other films Jigsaw realises the hypocritical nature of what he does. His life is no less empty or moral than the people he deems to be unworthy of life (he watches people, he tried to commit suicide, he gives people false hope). When his victims are such minor delinquents it's difficult to see him as any sort of moral crusader, especially when his 'punishment' for them is so cruel and is such a clear demonstration of a person who loves complete power over others. Ultimately, what gives him the right to dispense judgement on others?

To call him an anti-hero, essentially grouping him with folks such as Dirty Harry, Frank Castle etc. is somewhat deplorable.
  18. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Going by just Saw I & II, I can agree with you- but it's the subsequent films and their further flashbacks elaborating on John's past and his transition from what he was to Jigsaw that eventually build to the possible view of him as an anti-hero of sorts.

I forget if it was the flashbacks to 4 or 5, but there's a particular sequence where you suddenly realize you're rooting for him and can understand the twisted moral code he abides to. A guy with a strange moral code who does bad things whom you root for is certainly one definition of an anti-hero.
  19. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Well, that's something I never thought we'd see happen...

Cary Elwes Returns For "Saw VII 3D"

Original "Saw" star Cary Elwes will return as his character Dr. Gordon in the upcoming "Saw VII 3D" for Lionsgate.

In a press release from the studio, the project has announced its cast which includes Elwes, Tobin Bell, Costas Mandylor, Betsy Russell, Sean Patrick Flanery, Gina Holden, Chad Donella, Laurence Anthony, Dean Armstrong and Naomi Snieckus.

There's also a synopsis explaining his return - "As a deadly battle rages over Jigsaw's brutal legacy, a group of Jigsaw survivors gathers to seek the support of self-help guru and fellow survivor Bobby Dagen, a man whose own dark secrets unleash a new wave of terror."

The release also indicates the movie will be the "first theatrical feature to be shot exclusively on the cutting-edge SI-3D digital camera system". Kevin Greutert directs the film which is currently scheduled for an October 22nd release.
  20. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    What an absolute waste of his talent.
  21. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Well, while he is a very good actor and he was fine for most of the movie, he was one of the worst things, acting-wise, about the movie when it came to the ending (combined with the awful Danny Glover zoom-chase, it nearly torpedoed the film entirely in a spectacularly awful fashion- it was just saved by the fantastic twist ending).

It's just surprising that he'd return after all this time given the seemingly bad blood between him and the producers (there was a dispute over his compensation after the film became a smash hit)- they've had to tiptoe around him for the last 5 movies, keeping the character integrated into the mythos, but never showing him (except maybe in a quick montage).
  22. FelsGoddess Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
    SAW in 3D? That should be...interesting

I liked the first one. Jigsaw's reasoning for his acts were interesting. I've seen 2 and 3. Wasn't impressed.
  23. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Saw VII gets a new title

Some places are reporting that the title is "Saw 3D: The Traps Come Alive", but this has been clarified to only be a misinterpreted poster tagline.

It will officially be titled "Saw 3D"...which is kinda stupid considering it's the 7th movie, and the roman numerology used thus far was far more eloquent (especially given the intense serialistic nature of the series, it helps to properly number their order). Just calling it "Saw 3D" kinda cheapens the impression of the series, too, IMO.

I'm crossing my fingers that the movie's titles itself will identify it as Saw VII, and they'll just call it Saw 3D in commercials and posters...
  24. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Bump! Saw 3D Comes out this week!

Looking forward to seeing how this one wraps things up and if it can resolve all the character threads in a satisfying fashion.

It's also interesting to have experienced the most prolific and successful horror franchise in a generation from start to finish in theaters.

(I missed out on the Freddy, Jason and Michael movies, for the most part, as a kid- them only being on my radar at the end of their runs (Jason Goes to Hell, H20, New Nightmare, Jason X & FvsJ) and even then only catching a couple until recent years, not counting remakes.)

It's also interesting to see a series (let alone a horror series) maintain a consistent quality throughout it's entire extended run with very few missteps (in this case, Saw V). I'm hoping this last film doesn't drop the ball (either in general storytelling or through pushing 3D gimmickry). Most are lucky to get 2 or 3 good (or even decent) entries.
  25. Drac39 Force Ghost

star 6
    I don't know how I feel about it. I'd kind of like to see how the heck they end it but I don't know if I really have another one in me. It really should have ended at Saw III. I acknowledge the complaints about the excessive gore but I really think that the story is clever enough to make look past it in some ways. As the entries have piled on I've found it harder and harder to defend these Saw films. If Tobin Bell wasn't in them I doubt they would have lasted as long.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.