Amph "If It's Halloween, It Must Be Saw.": The Saw Saga

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarkPrince, Aug 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    It's certainly his continually evolving backstory and acquisition of apprentices that has kept the sequels together, no doubt.

In a way, 4+ balances out 1-3 in that 1-3's (particularly 1 & 2) structure needs to keep the audience in the dark over much of John's identity, history and motivations. 4-6 then lets us delve into that.

But to what end? That's going to be the make or break here.
  2. JohnWesleyDowney Force Ghost

star 5

I gave up after the second one. I thought the concept initially was kind of clever, but two were plenty. I think they've absolutely milked this thing to a ridiculous extent.
  3. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I think the series (as a series) really picks up in 3 & 4 because that's when you start to really get the interconnected storytelling and elevation of John's antihero nature to start coming to the forefront.

I mean, I don't think there's been a single victim or supporting character from one of these films that hasn't been expanded upon into a larger role (or, at least, given some kind of backstory) in the sequels. Really fleshes things out.
  4. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Caught a showing on Friday. Overall, I think it ends up being a satisfying conclusion (however, John/Jigsaw is in disappointingly too few scenes (like 2 or 3 at most). Things are wrapped up, but enough elements are still in play so that the series could theoretically continue one day- Gordon being the next Jigsaw could hold some great possibilities, and there's still the two other mystery Pigheads, though I hope they give the franchise a break, otherwise it cheapens this film being presented as "the final chapter".

The 3D isn't that gimmick-prominent, thankfully (just a few things splattering towards the audience, mostly, and one or two moments in the traps), but is used in a more appropriate way of depth perception (and the hear no evil/speak no evil/see no evil traps do use this to good effect), but it may end up being too subtle for some people, so I wouldn't be surprised if people end up complaining about the "lack of 3D" in the film (but this definitely not a poor "barely any 3D" 3D like Clash of the Titans).

However, a few reservations (beyond the lack of John) in that the first few traps seemed very arbitrary (almost as if the film was becoming the "just about gore and torture" critique people often incorrectly dismiss these films as), but the second half of the movie recovers and gets more on track.

Also, this film introduces that there are a LOT more Jigsaw victims/survivors than we previously thought, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. On one hand, it does make for a good story with the profiteering imposter survivor.

On the other- up until now, each victim has been pretty clearly setup/documented in the flashbacks/backstory of the past 6 films (and, indeed, we even get one or two more of those fleshed out here, albeit briefly), and while we do see 1 or 2 familiar faces at the survivors therapy group, where did all of them come from (or, even, the three in the display window trap that opens the film)?

When did any of the Jigsaws or apprentices have time to do them? The timespan has been pretty well covered, you know?

Cary's return really added something to the film- but I think it would have been way more awesome if they had saved him as a surprise (imagine how much cooler it would have been if we hadn't seen his survival in the opening credits or him at the survivor's group therapy, so that his first appearance would be when he took off the mask?).

Also, I think the scenes with Cary introduce a continuity problem (also disappointing given that that was usually this series' strongest point), because, how could his survival scene have happened where it did? Didn't we see his body in the room in Saw II? (the room couldn't have been cleaned/body replaced, since his foot was still there here).

And at the end of Saw I, we clearly see Gordon's body is still in the room AFTER Jigsaw wakes up and locks Adam in the room. But here, we see Gordon had escaped before Jigsaw seemingly leaves the room- but even if that isn't the case, and Jigsaw finds him later on after Gordon escapes, what about Adam? He'd still be alive in there. It doesn't seem to add up.
  5. Bremaine Jedi Padawan

The first Saw is by far the best of the series. #2 and 3 were okay, but I stopped after 3 or 4. Just overly predictable and boring. Saw 3D will not change this.
  6. Drac39 Force Ghost

star 6
    I saw it today and I must say that if you ever were a fan of the series it is a satisfying conclusion.

Obviously, the highlight of the film is Dr. Gordon's triumphant return. Really if this is the series conclusion it is the perfect way to end it. Dr. Gordon has been the fan's favorite character of the series and we have wanted him back for so long. Cary Elwes is very good when he is on screen and they really make the most of him. Granted I agree with The2ndQuest that his appearance would be all the more satisfying had the placement of his scenes been saved for the ending.

As for continuity 2ndQuest. The second body in the bathroom belongs to Zep not Dr.Gordon. Dr. Gordon always made it out. The only remaining thing he had was his severed foot.

My only complaint is that Tobin Bell is basically all but absent from this film. He is the reason the Saw series became such a lasting one.
  7. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Yeah, the lack of Bell really kept the film from being great, especially after how John-centric the last one was. I was kinda hoping there'd have been one big, final "His Will Be Done" revelation to complete his assumed role as John the Savior (next to Amanda the Cruel and Mark the Brutal) and fully conclude his story.
  8. Drac39 Force Ghost

star 6
    I will say though that his introduction at the book signing scene had the theater applauding.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.