main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST If Jedi Are Forbidden to Marry: The Role of Offspring in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by There_Are_Four_Lights, May 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARTH-FURBABY

DARTH-FURBABY Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2004
    Anakinfansince1983 said:
    Does the Dalai Lama have a wife and kids? Not from any information I have found, nor can I imagine him living a "normal life;" that kind of defeats the whole purpose of his position.
    T-R- said:
    "The Dalai Lama doesn't fight or serve as an ambassador."

Maybe not, but I would imagine he and his monks would need to know how to do both if/when it is needed. Don't these Buddhist monks learn martial arts?

2. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Sigh... first off there are MANY sects of monks in Buddism. Its as varried as Christianity, some Buddhists are non-violent while others don't practice this. The Lamas are non-violent and don't marry but others don't take those vows but are still buddhist monks, your search likely failed since you where searching for Lamas no Buddhist monks in general.

From wiki
    So this whole line of argument actually strengthens the idea Luke could break from the tradition of no marriage Jedi. It has historical presidence in both Buddhism and Chistianity where newer orders have left behind their old traditions of no marriage.

3. TheFoot

TheFoot Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2011
    You know it is entirely possible to have both scenarios in the new film. Jedi start out in a state of forbidden marriage, and it becomes an issue, and is allowed for some reason. Though that sounds awfully boring and political story-wise, so I'm not sure that's the best route to go.

I am pro Jedi marriage myself. Would be a fun/interesting change.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.