main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

If John Williams doesn't return to score the TFA sequels

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Gravemuzzle, Jan 12, 2015.

1. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    Actually Hans did do the pirates of the carribean soundtracks......... now Hondo needs a Spinoff .I want him swinging on a rope and Hans Zimmer music playing in the backround.

Leoluca Randisi likes this.
  2. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    Hans Zimmer did one of the most epic soundtracks ever "The Gladiator" I actually thought his Pirates Of The Caribbean soundtracks were Just OK but I thought The Simpsons Movie Soundtrack was really good and Like I said his Gladiator Score was Awesome !!!!!

3. Luke_Spacewalker

Luke_Spacewalker Jedi Youngling

Mar 13, 2015
    Mark Grisky all the way. His music is fantastic.

darskpine10 and General Pax like this.
  4. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    When it comes to the scores, I always heed to the Director's choice.

5. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    A guy named Nathan Johnson did Rian Johnson's other films. However, his style does not seem to match SW.

Giacchino seems to be the logical choice, followed by Zimmer and Shore. Desplat would be too busy with spin offs.

6. General Pax

General Pax Jedi Youngling

Mar 13, 2015
    I think Jeremy Soule could probably do pretty well scoring a Star Wars film.

7. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    After reading through all the comments here, excuse me for a moment while a try to collect myself...

Whenever people talk about Giacchino as the destined successor to Williams -- particularly for all things Star Wars -- I instantly suffer this breathless, queasy, sinking feeling of despair, as if slipping further and further into some nightmare Twilight Zone. I just...I just do not get it. At all. This Giacchino thing... He's terrible. Not terrible by itself, perhaps, but terribly one-trick, flat TV-ish, mediocre. When not simply mimicking other composers wholesale, Giacchino's own generated content can be really only be broken down into two forms: 1) that ever-frenetic *buzzing* clamor seemingly on endless loop that constitutes any kind of action or action-suspense sequence, and 2) his go-to schmaltzy 'soft piano key' monotony that immediately reduces any scene in whatever the movie to just another TV melodrama platitude—another stock "heartstring" moment from Lost, typically near episode's end where one character would hug another or where Jack would monologue something sentimental. At best, Giacchino emulates a certain nostalgia for the late 60s-through-70s era of prime time and/or Saturday morning television, yielding fairly appropriate results for films like The Incredibles, Speed Racer and Land of the Lost (even though all those scores, too, are as much Schifrin, Barry and Goldsmith cut-and-paste jobs).

Obviously, Williams' theme assigning talent speaks for itself, but even his jaunty, Steiner-esque 'Micky Mousing' mastered with touches of classical jazz timing and lyricism is not only far above anything similarly attempted by Giacchino but, at core, different in sensibility. Even the most hyperactive action cues from Williams' resume (i.e. 'The Mine Car Chase') maintain that nimble distinction between manic energy and arcing melodies -- hint: slow down the music and you can still identify whistle-worthy tunes -- whereas a typical action scene under Giacchino is just rambling, monothematic, commotion; all those busy bee, brassy orchestrals and percussions that seem to go every where at once without ever producing anything memorable. Just filler. And as for GIacchino's banner themes? Well, his main for Star Trek is about as melodically varied as a series of oscillating dial tones, compared to the majestically high peaks and valley lows notes-topography of the franchise's first complete cinematic title theme established by Goldsmith. I'd say the most lasting piece he's ever written in this respect would be the 'Letting Go' suite from Super 8; again, if you can tolerate the closer-to-shameless-than-inspired harkening of Williams and Horner.

And yet, all that is not the bomb. No, the bomb here is the candidacy being afforded to Hans Zimmer. Really?! Hans...Zimmer?! [face_plain]

*Ingram throws up hands, walks away*

KenW, Scholomancer, ray243 and 3 others like this.
  8. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Giacchino is great. His Dawn of the Planet of the Apes soundtrack was pretty great. Had that Williams-esque quality to it. But Zimmer? No thanks. I'm glad he's said he's pulling away from his ostinato format that he's used since the Batman films.

If they grab one of the video game composers for a future Star Wars movie it should be Griskey. I think he's the best out of all the Star Wars game composers.

I'm also partial to old Joel McNeely giving it another go. The Shadows of the Empire soundtrack is still some of my favorite Star Wars music.

darskpine10 likes this.
  9. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    I agree with nearly every point. Though I think Giacchino is fine. He's average but not bad by any means.

10. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    They won't hire people who have only done video games to do a major motion picture score. I am sure some of the music is great, but I don't think any of it is even close to the caliber of the motion picture composers like Williams, Giacchino, Zimmer, and Shore, etc.

11. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    There's some really good interviews with Desplat on YouTube. Maybe somebody can post one.

12. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Joel McNeely or Kevin Kiner would be good choices.

13. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Hans Zimmer!

14. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015
    Justin Bieber!

15. AuroraRogersSkywalker

AuroraRogersSkywalker Jedi Padawan

Apr 11, 2015
    Ingram, totally agreed! That's how I feel about most of modern movie scores, actually. Like they're just chords with a very simple melody, or the stereotypical incessant sixteenth (or even fast eighth) notes from the lower strings. Often it works well with the sounds and stuff going on in the movie, but still, it's not very thoughtful or original. Even the Pirates of the Caribbean and Lord of the Rings music was pleasant to listen to, but it kept throwing the same old melody at you again and again. I really don't think there's much modern music worthy of comparison to that of John Williams. I miss classical and romantic music so much. (Even though I wasn't around when it was being developed, lol!)

KenW and ray243 like this.
  16. JediMasterSven

JediMasterSven Jedi Master star 3

Apr 21, 2014
    I have to agree. I feel fortunate to have been born in 1984, and grown up with not just Star Wars, but films Indy, the Chris Reeve Superman, ET, the Tim Burton Batman, Jurassic Park, Back to the Future that had truly iconic scores. Even non "blockbuster movies" like Forrest Gump and Rudy had absolutely beautiful scores, thanks to Alan Silvestri and Jerry Goldsmith respectively.

Now, I could see them playing it safe if Williams decides to return for TFA and going with Desplat, or tapping Giacchino. He does have a great working relationship with Disney and he did the music for the new Star Tours ride. Plus he's doing Jurassic World.

17. SkywalkerOG

SkywalkerOG Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 19, 2014
    I thought the score for dawn of the planet of the apes was brilliant!

18. ray243

ray243 Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 26, 2006

Agreed. When was the last time we have a proper leitmotif in a blockbuster, especially in a Superhero franchise? Look at Marvel and tell me if you have remember any familiar leitmotif for the heroes or the villains.

19. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I would like James Newton Howard. The soundtracks to both Atlantis: The Lost Empire and Treasure Planet are really good.

Howard Hand likes this.
  20. Darth Palpadious

Darth Palpadious Jedi Master star 3

May 31, 2013
    My top choice would be Giacchino. His work on Lost was exceptional and his score for Up is one of my favourite ever. He truly is a master of the magical and romantic. He's the one for the job, should John (god forbid) be unable to fulfill his role.

Alexandre Desplat would be next on my list - although his style isn't very Star Wars, he's proved highly capable at the fantasy genre with his work on Deathly Hallows and is brilliant at emotive scoring in The Imitiation Game and Benjamin Button; two exceptional scores.

After that I'd probably have to go for James Newton Howard, but that's a distant third really.

21. ray243

ray243 Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 26, 2006
    I would recommend Murray Gold, simply because he is one of the few composers that actual relies on leitmotif as a fundamental part of his music. It's something missing in most composers nowadays.

22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    His Doctor Who stuff is amazing.

Enn-Jae Gee likes this.
  23. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Apart from the fact that the Pirates theme sounded quite similar to one of the main themes to Gladiator, I can't really decide which I like better...Depends on my mood I guess-if I had to pick I'd say pirates. Gladiator has some great sounds, but IMO Pirates is more appealing to me overall.

Sarge likes this.
  24. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015
    Agreed. He is one of the few composers who can stay true to the Star Wars sound without betraying his own. He's probably my favorite currently active composer (John Williams doesn't count as he's semi-retired).

darskpine10 likes this.
  25. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I'm going to change my mind and say Howard Shore. I think he would do better at adapting Williams's Star Wars themes than Zimmer would, who usually prefers to start from scratch. Shore did a great job at reprising his LOTR themes in The Hobbit scores and is therefore a known quantity to me, which is why I change my mind.

Both are great though, two of my favorite composers.