If John Williams were to suddenly die

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Mastadge, Feb 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub
  1. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    If John Williams suddenly died, who would you want them to use to score the next two Star Wars films?
  2. Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  3. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Let me modify the question: Which living film composer would you want to score the next to Star Wars films?
  4. Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  5. Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    I had hoped that this topic would not show up here, but I guess it was inevitable....

My answer: No one. JW is a huge part of SW, and I don't think any other composer, no matter how good, could bring the same magic to SW that JW has brought.
  6. Cindé of Naboo Jedi Master

star 4
    *Sob* I don't want to think about it. Let's try to keep a little optimism, huh? ;)
  7. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    So would you want them to be non-music films or would you want JW's previous SW music to be remixed for the new films?
  8. Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    That might work. There;s only so many times you can hear some of the stuff though. I don't know if they could stretch it out for 2 films.
  9. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Either (a.) silent films or (b.) remixes of old songs.

~Sithman~
  10. NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    I'm with Cindé. I don't even want to think about it. *Sniff*
  11. MusicJedi Jedi Master

star 2
    la la la not listening lalalalala

Micheal Daugerty

lalalalalalalalalalal
  12. Short Round McFly Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Alan Silvestri. Even though he isn't as great as most composers, his style is veeeerrry similar to John Williams. If him and Ennio Morricone were to team up, it would be just as good as Williams!
  13. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I'd go Basil Poledouris. If he's unavailable, Joel McNeely, then Alan Silvestri, Jerry Goldsmith, etc...
  14. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Silvestri or Poledouris.
  15. ami-padme Force Ghost

star 4
    I agree with whoever said they should use his old SW works. Yes, it would be a bit much to stretch over two movies, but I wouldn't want anyone else doing it.
  16. Chewbuca Jedi Knight

star 1
  17. Grand Admiral Reese Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I'd rather not even think about the possibility.
  18. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Danny Elfman is practically Williams' opposites. He likes little subtle tinkly sounds.
  19. Chewbuca Jedi Knight

star 1
  20. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    Silvestri is too superficial. So is Paledouris. I'd go with possibly McNeely, or even Michael Kamen
  21. caliman Jedi Knight

star 1
    Poledouris would be my first choice, but I think John Debney would do well. Patrick Doyle for the sweeping sad scenes. Joel McNeely could do a fine job. And last, Bruce Brougton (Tombstone, Lost in Space) would be a good choice.
  22. Mr. K Moderator Emeritus

star 5
    I think it's safe to assume that Joel McNeely would take over the reigns, based mostly on his previous affiliation with Lucasfilm.

However, Williams himself has expressed interest in Laurence Rosenthal as a successor. I can't remember where I read that though, but I remember it quite distinctly.
  23. Darth Rayder Force Ghost

star 4
    Hans Zimmer (Gladiator), or James Horner(Field of Dreams, Titanic, and Jurassic Park 3, I think) would be good choices, too.
  24. Katriel Jedi Master

star 4
    PERISH THE THOUGHT!

But.....I'd go with Jerry Goldsmith. If you listen to the soundtrack for Star Trek: First Contact, it is amazingly Williamsesque.

I may be wrong but James Horner would try to soften the music in battle scenes and I think he would ruin them. Love songs? Oh yeah, he'd come up with some good ones. Then we'd have Celine Dion hanging off the top of a Super Star Destroyer singing "The Jedi Will Live On."
  25. FiendishJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    oh no, please don't talk about this!!! It is just too painful to think about...a star wars film without John Williams
Moderators: Darth_Nub
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.