main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

If John Williams were to suddenly die

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Mastadge, Feb 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    No Williams, no Star Wars. Period. He's as important as Lucas.

2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Zimmer was outstanding in Gladiator, but his other music is so-so.

3. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Lion King was excellent IMO

4. ELEPHANT_MAN

ELEPHANT_MAN Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 23, 2001
    why hast thou forsken him

5. Captain Page

Captain Page Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 22, 2000
    Argh!! Must.... not..... think.... of..... possibility..... John.... Williams.... must..... become..... immortal.....

James Horner, Alan Silverstri, or Michael Kamen would be good choices, as wood Hans Zimmer. My vote would go to Horner. No one would be as good as Williams though, and I would just prefer to have the old music remixed.

PS: About Hans Zimmer not writing any other good scores: What about Crimson Tide?

6. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I didn't say he didn't write anything good, I just said it was so-so. Maybe a better phrasing would have been up and down.

I agree James Horner is very very good though, would probably be a good choice.

7. Padme Bra

Jul 2, 1999
    Come on guys, don't be so predictable. As soon as I heard about a music forum I knew someone would start a 'What if Williams Died?' thread. :p

8. legacyAccount

legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2012
    Hans Zimmer, James Horner or (this may seem totally out of left field but...) Robert W. Smith

9. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    James Horner: No

Why? Because he'd sentementalise the entire score. His scores are quite annoying and overated in my opinion.

Danny Elfman: Yes.

Why? Because the next two films will revolve around the Dark Side of the Force more, and with Elfman's exotic choice of instruments and style in music, he'd be the perfect choice as composer.

David Arnold: Yes.

Why? Because judging by his previous scores "Stargate", "Independence Day" and "Godzilla", his scores are very similar in style to John Williams.

Jerry Goldsmith: No.

Why? He's good but not that great, I've noticed with many of his scores, they seem to have to much synthesis.

Alan Silvestri: No.

Why? He would have done a great job with "Jurassic Park 3" judging from his work on "Predator 2" but sometimes he's just unoriginal and plain. He'd be a bad choice for SW.

Hans Zimmer: Yes.

Why? Because his scores are very artful and tasteful, he'd be a great choice.

10. Padme Bra

Jul 2, 1999
    Danny Elfman??? Are you insane?

//puke

11. jamesdrax

Aug 30, 2000
    Nope.

I think he'd be an excellent choice.

:D

12. Fatboy_Roberts

Fatboy_Roberts Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 2, 2000
    slightly dissapointed this thread even popped up.

even more disappointed it's got the most posts.

why can't we just say "Say williams decides to not score Episode II and III..who would you have step in?"

I dunno..I think it woulda worked better that way.

Peace,
    Fatboy

13. jamesdrax

Aug 30, 2000
    Yeah but you gotta think of possible future circumstances.

What if it did happen?

Hmmmm?

14. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    I agree with Fats. Perhaps the title should be "Who would replace Williams if he were unable to score Ep.II & III?

15. ArsenicMan

ArsenicMan Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 2, 2000
    James Horner - as long as his work was along the lines of his earlier scores (ST II/III)

Jerry Goldsmith - as long as they ban him from the synth

Cliff Eidelman - if they ban him from the chorus (IMHO, not a good addition to RotJ or TPM)

Joel McNeely - he'd probably do a decent job

the guy who did the original music for X-Wing/TIE Fighter/Dark Forces - he did a pretty good job with just MIDI; I'd like to hear what he could do with a full orchestra

16. jamesdrax

Aug 30, 2000
    Anyone who goes from MIDI straight to full orchestra usually don't do the best job of all.

Look at Mark Snow for "The X-Files: Fight the Future", in the show he used complete MIDI and synth, but with the film the score was just a bit too overboard with it's bigger budget. Snow obviously hadn't had much experience with orchestra.

17. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    I can't imagine SW without John Williams. John Williams is getting up there in years, but I don't think we'll have to worry about Lucas getting another composer for the rest of the prequels.

18. lakrisgubben

lakrisgubben Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2000
    I think that Hans Zimmer would be a great replacement... anyone heard the score to "The Rock" It`s the best ever... next to starwars...

19. Grand Admiral Reese

Grand Admiral Reese Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 1, 1999
    Zimmer is okay, and he could probably pull off the Star Wars sound well. But I'd still rather not think of the idea.

20. Darth Rayder

Darth Rayder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 1999
    Certainly, Horner is not a perfect choice, but I think his "emotional" type of music would be on par for Ep II and III. Just as long as he stays away from the heavy piano crashes he seems to like so much. (Anyone who has the Deep Impact or Sneakers soundtrack knows what I'm talking about)

21. jamesdrax

Aug 30, 2000
    I just think Horner's scores are a bit too clichéd and over-rated, he's too repetitive and has little creative style at all.

22. s1138_

s1138_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 14, 2000
    WHY WOULD YOU THINK LIKE THAT!!!!!!!!!

but if it would happen (you know it aint going to) i would say, they should just remix and edit the songs

23. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The reason we say what if he died instead of what if he didn't do it, is because if Williams was still alive, fans would storm his house and force him to compose at gunpoint.

Anyway, Silvestri or Zimmer. MacNeely would get though I'm sure and I know what you mean about Mark Snow.

24. EmperorsHalberdier

EmperorsHalberdier Jedi Youngling

Jan 20, 2001
    No pianos allowed in SW soundtracks!!! Is everybody clear on that?

25. jamesdrax

Aug 30, 2000
    Uh? Why not?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.