main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST If Luke comes back as a force ghost to Rey...

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Punk , Dec 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Isn't that stalking?

skybender, Luke02 and Darth Smurf like this.
  2. yanote

yanote Jedi Knight star 2

May 1, 2016
    It would be sooo good, baby!...

3. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    mods please lock this up.

Django Fett likes this.
  4. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Why?

5. jofos

jofos Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 25, 2015

While I don't think Darth Punk was being serious, it is a good question. Did Rey really want anything to do with Luke when she left Ahch-to? If not and force ghost Luuke follows her around then it could be stalking.

dekaneas, Luke02 and Darth Punk like this.
  6. yanote

yanote Jedi Knight star 2

May 1, 2016
    Luke was not too fond of Yoda's training lessons but he seems to enjoy his visit 30 years later.
    I think that it would be the same for Rey, specially if Luke can give her some good advice.

7. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Question is moot. Luke is only coming back as a force ghost to sell more toys at the end of the film in a meaningless cameo at the end of the film just like Yoda was. Rey has Luke’s two lessons (Luke never got to lesson #3) and the old Jedi books on the MF that Yoda admitted weren’t that helpful. She is good since now Jedi are superhero’s who do not need mentors or training...even though most superhero’s do have mentors and go through lots of training even Superman.

DARTHSHAME likes this.
  8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  9. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    He would be shirtless of course

10. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    Apparently Jedi training really never was THAT important. I mean, Luke had a few lessons, then he was told he needed to come back for more, but when he came back, he was told he didn't require any more training, after all. And he was force-pulling lightsabers out of the snow with no training whatsoever.

But it would be great to see Luke come back to impart some wisdom to Rey. From a storytelling standpoint, I think sharing wisdom is more interesting than seeing a training montage. It would also be interesting to see the Rey/Luke dynamic in Episode 9, now that Luke has once again embraced the Force and the Jedi. It would be quite a different dynamic than what we got in TLJ.

dekaneas likes this.
  11. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    miasma

Luke was with Yoda for months. Not a few days or weeks, he was there for months. Keep in mind too that there is an 18 month gap between AHN and Empire where Luke trained on his own as Obi-Wan had given a first lesson that was his guide to practice on his own. And then there is a six month gap between Luke leaving Yoda and returning therefore Luke by the time he faces Vader in ROTJ he has been training in the force for two years and had lessons from both Obi-Wan and Yoda that in the case of Yoda lasted for months. And he is considered a hastily trained Jedi that Yoda told him “no more training you require” because he had no choice. He was dying and well Luke had earned some on the job training literally when he confronted Vader and managed to survive...barely and his father wasn’t trying to truly kill him but that is a different subject. Meanwhile Rey has known about the force for a week and had two lessons from Luke after he mostly ignore her along with the Jedi book that again Yoda even admitted they were not that useful. But she is the first of the new Jedi who are superheroes not Warrior Monks so she is good.

And that would be cool especially since the force ghost in Episode IX that truly trains/advises Rey and is a major character since force ghosts have been around since 1977 but not really explored. There is nothing that states that a force ghost only has a short amount of time they can appear for. And one of the few things TLJ did right at the end is leave the possibly of Luke returning in the flesh which is what George wanted for Obi-Wan in ROTJ but basically ran out of space in the story to really make it work. It make sense that the force sends him back like Gandalf was since his task was not complete.

But none of that is happening. Luke will be nothing more then a cameo at the end as a force ghost for the sake of selling toys just like Yoda was in TLJ. They went out of their way to say Luke is “gone”, Rey again is the first of superhero jedi who did not need assembly and the force no longer is a living entity with it’s own will. It’s nothing more then appliance like a radio that you can turn on or off at will.

12. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    I am hoping the clamor that has begun after Luke's mischaracterization will lead to a meaningful role for Luke as a Force ghost as a wise mentor and teacher. If he needs to stalk her until she is properly trained so be it.

13. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Rian basically told the fans (mostly the older crowd) to honk off as they do not care about anything they have to say or think. The ONLY reason they bring back Mark in a truly significant way is due to $$$. As I said on other threads, they lost their “hook” for Episode IX when our Princess left us suddenly last year. Every movie so far in terms of the episodes as had a strong hook.

TFA = Return of SW and in particular Han/Chewie.
    TLJ = Return of Luke Skywalker.

The hook for Episode was supposed to been Leia and her struggle to try and save her a son (a mother/son story which I think could been great). But now with Carrie being one with the force (RIP Princess) they lost their hook. But even that will not bring Luke back in a meaningful way as Disney told us with TLJ that they believe brand name alone with carry the day always.

Tiberius.Ogden and cut-of-space like this.
  14. DARTHSHAME

Dec 19, 2003
    You may be right, I think we can only hope that in the next two years they recognize that the character of Luke needs some redress.

15. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    DARTHSHAME

I bet a cup of coffee they don’t. Lucasfilm is filled with a very arrogant group of people. Look at the answers that like some of storyboard people give on Twitter. Yoda would give them a tongue lashing!

Tiberius.Ogden and cut-of-space like this.
  16. jofos

jofos Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 25, 2015

I kind of hope they don't bring him back as a force ghost. Force ghost Obi Wan was helpful (I always thought this explained Luke's training) telling Luke what to do and all. Yoda and Anakin stood there and smiled but in the end they are just ghost. I think the whole ghost idea is depressing. What can a ghost really do, say things like "run Luke" and such but they really can't help. Luke was a hero (at least he was before Rian) and as a he would basically not be able to help with anything. I suppose they could have Luke train Rey but what can he teach her, it seems like she is already more powerful than all the previous Jedi combined. No Ghost just end it.

17. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    jofos

Which is the whole point of Rey. She is the first superhero jedi. She doesn’t need training, guidance or practice. Like I said on another thread just now, the force used to be like a game of basketball. You needed someone to teach you and you needed to practice. Luke had someone show how to shoot (Obi-Wan on the MF) and he practice shooting for 18 months between ANH and TESB (he could not do anything else as nobody taught him yet but at least he had someone show him how to shoot and work like crazy at it). That is no longer required. None of it is. The Jedi are not even a religion of any sort. They are a club of superheroes like the Avengers or Justice League.

Tiberius.Ogden likes this.
  18. RKR

RKR Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 22, 2013
    The Force has never been one conscious entity with a will.

19. DARTHSHAME

Dec 19, 2003
    Well, It may not crash tomorrow, but if they continue along the same trajectory they will crash this franchise. It may take years though.

Twice the pride, double the fall----Count Dooku

20. DARTHSHAME

Dec 19, 2003

If Luke has the same mischaracterization that Rian Johnson presented then I would rather not see him.

However, we will see him as a Force ghost, because fans will want to know what happened to him. Plus, Luke did say "see you around kid" this is a pretty good suggestion that Luke will reappear.

21. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013

I never knew that (I have to admit, I don't read the novels and stuff.) Just based by what we see on screen, it certainly seemed like much less than months. He left Hoth at roughly the same time as Han and Leia, and then arrived at Cloud City not long after they did. So was the Falcon being chased through asteroid fields for months? That's quite a chase! (not saying you're wrong about it, but I just never pictured that it was supposed to be lasting for months.) Of course, it's hard to compare because the definition of "months" would change depending on how fast Dagobah revolves around its sun, so what could be months for Dagobah could be something drastically different for wherever the Falcon was. Okay, now my brain hurts.

Anyway, I DO agree with you that Rey's training was surprisingly minimal, even if I think Luke's was also not that extensive. But with Rey, it seems that something else is going on, as if the force in her is trying to counterbalance the force in Kylo (as Snoke said, "darkness rises and the light to meet it.") It's another thing that I hope gets explored in a bit more depth in Episode 9. And it would be cool to see Luke's ghost be the one to explain it. So yeah, that's another reason I want Luke's ghost to appear.

22. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Ghosts can affect the real world. Yoda set that tree on fire

23. LukeSkywalker7

LukeSkywalker7 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 14, 2012
    I’d assume there will be a Luke ghost but who knows . Maybe not. This movie demonstrated a Jedi doesn’t require any training.

24. DARTHSHAME

Dec 19, 2003

Yes, this can go in many directions and even has the potential for disaster.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  25. DARTHSHAME

Dec 19, 2003

Agree, a sad development. It has fundamentally cheapened the Jedi training process we saw in the OT, the Prequels, the Clone Wars, and Rebels.

RKR and Darth Smurf like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.