main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

If Luke had...

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Leah, Jan 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leah

Leah Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 26, 2003
    If Luke had turned to the Darkside, would that make the Classic Trilogy more interesting? If Luke had turned, Vader would not have been redeemed and The Prophecy would not have been done. Still, what if he had turned during ROTJ when Palpatine had said "Take your father's place at my side?"

2. Esperanza_Nueva

Esperanza_Nueva Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 23, 2003
    i think if that had happened there would just be another trilogy about Leia becoming a Jedi, and i think it would seem pretty repetitive since we just spent an entire trilogy watching Luke go through the same thing.

3. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    Luke might be dead. While he was dealing with the Emperor, Wedge was flying into the Death Star. Luke kills Vader. It's very dramatic and Luke is overwhelmed with his deed and new power, taking up precious time. Emperor gloats, then Luke tells him his weapon is about to be blown up. Since the Emperor wasn't prepared they try, but don't have enough time to flee and die in the explosion. The Jedi order is wiped out since there is no one left to teach Leia.

4. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Technically, if Lukte turned Vader would find some way to kill both him and the Emperor.

As for Luke and the Emperor dying on the DSII after killing Vader, it doesn't make much sense. After all, they had time in the real ROTJ to go through all that rigamaroll with Vader, then do all that piece with the Emperor fighting, then have a nice long chat with Vader as he dies, then drag his body al lthe way through the station to get to a shuttle and escape.

It would take much less time for two people capable of walking to leave.

5. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    It would be a good exuse to make the final trlogy of the Star Wars Saga.
    But still Luke did to the Darkside well in the EU that is.

6. Speedy_Lube

Speedy_Lube Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2002
    You didnt notice that look on his face after defeating Vader? I'm pretty sure he had some dark side going on.

Plus he wore black through that whole movie, there had to be some people thinking he turned at some point.

But you know I think they tried to show him as possibly always going to the dark side, and I never bought it really. They just did not make it a point in the film, though I think they should have. Would have made the film a LOT better, especially because you never really felt like it was all on the line in this film.

7. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    If Skywalker had turned to the dark side, the he would have killed Vader and joined Palpatine. Then Lando would have flew into the core of the Death Star and shut down it's main reactor, killing Luke and Palpatine.

8. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    It would have been quite interesting to say the least.

9. ObiwanJohn

ObiwanJohn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    IIRC in the ROTJ novelazation Luke was planning on dying one way or the other. He went to the DSII to try to save Vader but he was counting on his rebel friends to succede in their mission. Even if he had turned he knew the Emp, Vader, and himself would be destroyed by the rebellion, thus riding the galaxy of the Sith forever.

10. Dancing_Jansons

Dancing_Jansons Jedi Master star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    "Soon, I'll be dead - and you with me."

If Skywalker had turned to the dark side, the he would have killed Vader and joined Palpatine. Then Lando would have flew into the core of the Death Star and shut down it's main reactor, killing Luke and Palpatine.

I never understood why people use this as an argument. If a mortally injured Vader, and Luke could make it off in a shuttle before DSII exploded, why couldn't the Emperor and Luke have done the same? Luke knew the plan anyway. If he'd turned, I doubt dying would have been in the equation.

They would have escaped before it blew.

11. ObiwanJohn

Dec 12, 2003
    Good point Dancing_Jansons.

Come to think of it, why didn't Palpatine have some sort of escape pod/ship arrangement in his tower? It is kind of odd Luke had to drag Vader all the way to a landing bay.

12. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    He might have had something like that, but Luke would never have known about it.

I'd agreed that Palpatine and the newly-converted Luke could've escaped the DS2 in time. Palpatine seems to get very involved and obsessive with the entire little scenario he's planned, once it had come to a conclusion I don't think it would take him long to sense what was going on outside his throne room.

Even the loss of the second Death Star wouldn't really trouble Palpatine unduely, not with a shiny new apprentice under his wing. He could've left the DS2 and flown over to the Star Destroyers, then ordered immediate evacuation back to Coruscant.

And if Luke had turned to the Dark Side...well, I didn't like this idea much before the PT. Now, I'd like it even less, as a big fan of Luke it'd be very damaging and actually kinda anticlimatic to me...

Much more dramatic the way it worked out.

13. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I don't think it really would've mattered if Skywalker had turned to the darkside. By the time Vader fell in combat against his son, Lando and Wedge were already inside the death star. It's not like Luke and Palpatine had an eternity to get off of the ship, they would've had only a few moments before it went kaboom.

14. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Hmmm, I can't agree. As Jabber-wocky said,

As for Luke and the Emperor dying on the DSII after killing Vader, it doesn't make much sense. After all, they had time in the real ROTJ to go through all that rigamaroll with Vader, then do all that piece with the Emperor fighting, then have a nice long chat with Vader as he dies, then drag his body al lthe way through the station to get to a shuttle and escape.

Soon as Luke just killed Vader, it wouldn't take long at all for Palpatine to sense the danger they were in. One brisk jog later, he and Luke are in a shuttle and away.

15. ObiwanJohn

Dec 12, 2003
    IIRC the Vader flinging the Emperor, Han blowing the shield generater, and Lando and Wedge flying into the DSII happened in that order. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.