main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST If Luke is married, what 50-60 year old actress would you cast?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by T-R-, Oct 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brookstone

Brookstone Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 10, 2014

That to me is a little smarmy, lets pick and choose and dissect so we can take what we think are the best parts...

2. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Luke should be married to Gina Torres. Zoe from Firefly.

3. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Sadly, after seeing Gina Torres on Angel, I'm only capable of being terrified by her, so I have to vote no on that one.

Dra--- and Ryus like this.
  4. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    First off the elephant in the room... Gina Torres is only 44 and would be playing a 62 year olds wife, sorry but no thanks.

Second I've only ever liked her acting in one role, that as Zoe from Firefly/Serenity. So in my mind not only would her age be all wrong and shocking far from Hamills but the best she could be would be Zoe with a lightsaber/blaster. :rolleyes: Its the same problem of casting Bennidict Clumberbatch in VII how to not have the audience just see the actors prior similar role. Sorry but Id prefer an actress who can play more than one good role.

Now I hated her acting skills and roles in three other series I loved. Those being Jasmine in Angel (she alone practically killed season 4 of that and Angels son was the final straw), her role in Alias (by JJ) was just dumb and Jennifer out acted her and that's saying something, and third she played a wife of Lawrence Fishburn in Hannibal and I just wanted Hannibal to eat her everyother line she had since she was that much of a self centered ***** who's poor acting was worse than the character who was designed to be hated, which again says something. This to me states she's had three failed attempts of making a new great character in an action susupence series and one hit, she can't into become a new likible character from being Zoe from Firefly 2.0... and Star Wars deserves bold and new, not 2.0 characters. Its the franchise all other franchises try to emulate not the other way around.

Keep her away from Star Wars with a ten foot pole please.

plaidphoenix likes this.
  5. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    I agree. Regardless of whether or not Luke has any offspring in Episode VII, his wife/girlfriend/significant other has to be close to him in age if for no other reason then to make sure Luke doesn't look like a second-rate hustler going through a mid-life crisis.

As for who they should cast, they should have:
    1)Reasonable if not respectable acting chops so they don't look like a cardboard cutout when the camera starts rolling.
    2)Reasonable if not respectable action movie chops so they don't look like an idiot holding a blaster or lightsaber.
    3)Be someone familiar to the public at large but not necessarily in the public eye so the audience isn't saying either, "Who's that?" or talking about them to the detriment of the rest of the ST.

DL44Jo, Yanksfan and Ryus like this.
  6. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    wow, someone hates Gina Torres

7. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I still dont understand, why Luke can not marry a younger (or older) woman / partner. Age and gender roles are relative, especially in the SW universe.

Dra--- likes this.
  8. IBYM

IBYM Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 17, 2014
    Mrs Doubtfire
    [​IMG]

9. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    The film takes place 30 years after ROTJ so that would make Luke 53, right? Much closer to Torres than the actor playing him. I like her so I wouldn't mind the casting at all.

10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Susan Sarandon or GTFO.

11. plaidphoenix

Nov 6, 2013
    [​IMG]

A science fiction double feature?

12. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    What pic is that from?

13. Spork111

Spork111 Jedi Master star 2

Jun 19, 2002
    Because it's about what the audience is going to think. If he's married to a significantly younger woman (like in her 30's or 40's), you don't want the moviegoers to look at Luke and think he's raiding the crib. On the other hand, I don't really want to see him getting it on with Betty White either. Like, really. Call me closed-minded. If Luke is married in the film, I'd bet good money the actress they cast for the role will be "age appropriate" i.e. somebody between the ages of 50 and 65.

14. plaidphoenix

Nov 6, 2013
  15. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Well now I'm going to be on that site all day.

plaidphoenix likes this.
  16. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Yes there is far more of use than you care to admit (and hate is too strong a word, recoginise her being overrated and hate that is more accurate)... plus most of her roles all having the same no nonsense aspect doesn't lendherself to many deverse roles. There is almost always some aspect of all her former characters in her current character.

Now let me break all her fans hearts before I continue... Suits season 4 will be filming when VII is, since she's still alive and well in Suits season 3 odds of her being able to do both is near impossible. She won't be in VII, too bad, so sad.

Oh I take it you where a fan of hers on what?
    Transformers
    Matrix 2 & 3
    Angel
    Alias
    Hannibal
    Hercules
    A dozen other 1-3 episode cameos

Yeah, think of all her fans from those shows/roles... they are legion [face_liarliar]

You couldnt possibly be a far of hers due to:
    Firefly/Serenity
    Suits

No one liked those two roles [face_liarliar] ... so there is just no way all her geek credit from solely those two preformances :rolleyes:

Anyways, my point is all most all her fandom comes from fans of really two things... however if you ignore those two roles her best remaining role was in Cleopatra 2525... which says a lot about her skills not being meant for a Star Wars type role. Suits is far from anything Id want to see in Star Wars and Firefly was already Star Wars minus Jedi so it would take away from her introduction into Star Wars. As an actress she's been nominated for next to nothing (3 things (plus 1 win) in 20 years of acting, oh and her win and a nomination was due to her being Latino by fact of her family being from Cuba though she was born in New York though 'grew up in a latino neighborhood' (even though her acestory is really from Africa, which I'll leave up to you as cheating or not for winning a latino award)) and won only for Cleopatra 2525 (again for being latino)

Are you suggesting that just by calling Luke 53 instead of Mark Hamill's actual age of 62 that he'll magically look great, natural, and believable next to a 44 year old wife who she herself looks younger than she really is during their first screen test together? Or are you suggesting Luke's head will be replaced by a Velocraptor? [face_tee_hee]

17. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm saying I don't care about his age. ;)

18. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Virginia Madsen is the only choice. ;)

Jedi Knight Fett and Ryus like this.
  19. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Princess Irulan from Dune becoming Luke Skywalkers wife... Brilliant! =D=

Plus she is an Oscar nominated actress, so she'd knock it out of the park in all likelihood. Not to mention she's 52 (only a year off from Luke's supposed age) and being 5'5" makes her a great height next to Mark Hamill.

Now, can she just dye her hair red... [face_praying] after all the cross between her and Hamill would look even better with Jesse Plemon as their son :D

20. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014
  21. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Lolz... Uhura as Luke's wife. Just what Luke needs and over qualified secritary as his wife... take that sexism in Star Wars. :p

Oberst Hans Landa likes this.
  22. Oberst Hans Landa

Feb 12, 2014
    Well, she'd make a great wife. I mean, I'm sure she's'very patient. After all, she traveled the universe with both Spock and Kirk, and she also knows her way around spaceships and stuff.

23. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    ^fixed

Plus, I think she understands bluetooth earpieces even better though. "Captain, I'm being hailed of not sure if serious memes incoming"

24. Oberst Hans Landa

Feb 12, 2014
  25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    If the guy from "Attack the Block" gets cast as Luke's kid I'm voting for Robin Ophelia Quivers to play Mara Jade. ba-ba-booey!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.