main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST If Luke is married, what 50-60 year old actress would you cast?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by T-R-, Oct 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maychild

maychild Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 16, 2013
    Maybe. But they weren't put in the movies expressly for the purpose of being kick ass hot babes -- except perhaps Aayla Secura, and as I pointed out, she appears only briefly. They were put into the movies with the intent of being action heroines, because Lucas was making action-oriented movies and they were the heroines.

I might point out, though, Lucas took a huge risk when he wrote Leia as he did in the original movie. Female characters in sci-fi/action movies up to then were typically "cheesecake" and/or damsels in distress. He had no idea if audiences would accept a female character who was, instead, a "distressing damsel," as Carrie Fisher put it.

2. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    "Cat-suited kick-ass hot babes" better not show up in my Star Wars as the romantic lead for one of our male leads. It's tired and cliché. (Ok, that's all-in-one-package females. I could tolerate a kick-ass female, and a separate "hot babe" if I need to.)

I'd love to see someone like "Aunt Beru" or "Shmi."

3. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I wouldn't mind Luke's wife being more "wise sage" than "ninja warrior." Even if she is in her mid- to late-forties, rather than fifty-something like Luke, that doesn't necessarily mean she has to be an amazing fighter. She could be more scholarly. Or even a politician (although that would be needlessly retreading the PT, IMO). She can be whatever fits the story.

4. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014
    For the longest time, I thought Aunt Beru was Luke's mother. Their resemblance is crazy.

5. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    And if Luke's wife is action oriented, why couldn't she follow the highlighted part of your statement? Why couldn't she simply be an action heroine in action-oriented movies without being a male fantasy fulfillment?

If Leia, Padme, and Daisy can be action heroines why couldn't Luke's wife?

As you yourself said, these are action-oriented movies. Makes sense if his wife is an action heroine like Luke's sister/Han's wife, Luke and Leia's mother, and presumably Han and Leia's daughter.

6. werpudel

werpudel Jedi Master star 2

Dec 4, 2008
    Famke Janssen /thread ^:)^

Django Fett likes this.
  7. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    Michelle Yeoh (52)

[​IMG]

Michelle Marie Pfeiffer (56)
    [​IMG]

8. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    Is the photo of Micheele Yeoh appearing for everyone else?

It isn't showing on my phone.

9. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    it's not showing, so:

[​IMG]

10. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    20 something, 20 something, 20 something....

I'm sorry - NO CATSUITS AFTER 40! And I say this as someone who saw 40 in her rear view mirror many miles ago.

maychild likes this.
  11. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Leia will be in her 50's/60's in the ST and people want to see her wielding a lightsaber. Check out the Carrie thread. Whether she does or not, you can bet she will be involved in action scenes as the action heroine she's been before.

No one expects Leia to be sitting around the homestead not doing anything but making dinner.

Not to mention, who, besides you and the usual suspects, ever mentioned a catsuit? Luke can have an action heroine wife, similar to Leia's action level, that wears age appropriate clothing. Why that isn't understood is beyond me.

12. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    Rhats
    That's not showing on my phone either :p

Bit fair play ;)

T-R- likes this.
  13. maychild

Jan 16, 2013
    Luke's wife wouldn't be the heroine. Daisy presumably would be.

I simply do not see Luke with an action-oriented wife. Part of it is because I saw how horribly that was handled in Legends; and part of it is because I just don't see him being attracted to a "kick ass" type.

But to answer the highlighted question: if they give Luke a wife and they insist on making her action-oriented, then yes, she could be so without also being a male fantasy fulfillment. I certainly hope that they go the non-fantasy-fulfillment route. Although of course, she could easily become one by default, even if they don't "sexify" her, but I can live with that...as long as they don't use it as an excuse to have her take over the story, as was the case in Legends.

14. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I think we just hit some common ground [:D]

I agree, Luke's potential wife should not be a male fantasy fulfillment. Nor do I think she would take over the story. Add to the story, yes, but not take over.

Luke was attracted to Leia, a kick ass type. So I wouldn't rule that out myself. As there are multiple heroes there can be multiple heroines. Nothing saying Daisy, Leia, Luke's wife, Lupita, or any other woman in the cast can't all be heroines in the ST.

Luminous Beings Are We and Ryus like this.
  15. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I will repeat myself now:

I think it would be really nice for Luke to have a medic as a wife. There she can actually do something worthwhile, like save a badly injured protagonist - maybe Luke himself - without being just one of the "warriors".

Only warriors won't work. You need different types of characters.

A Skywalker/Solo clan with only warriors would be quite boring.

16. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I personally like Mara' Jade conceptualization by Zahn, but her handling by just about everyone else has been terrible - Including the stupid leather catsuit (Zahn never puts her in that outfit in his writing after Palpatine, normally she's wearing either a green or camouflage jumpsuit [sort of like a green version of Leia's outfit from Empire Strikes Back], a dancer's outfit in the flashbacks, or a green tunic/trouser combination that looks a bit like you'd expect a Jedi to wear). The catsuit might have made a bit of sense for the Emperor's Hand, but it doesn't after Palpatine's demise, and it definitely doesn't make any sense for an actress around the same age as Mark Hamill.

I kind of liked the look Jade got in Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith, where the designers basically gave her an outfit fit for a smuggler: jacket, grey tank top, red leather pants, utility belt, hip holster, and black boots.

Now, ignoring Mara Jade... let me go back to some thoughts I've had about this just in general.

A.) Any romantic interest Luke has, she has to be able to keep up with him and survive the various situations that authors will no doubt throw at them in the new canon.
    B.) Luke needs a motive to spend time with the person in order for the relationship to develop.
    C.) Luke will likely need someone to balance his farmboy + Jedi Master persona and ground him if the relationship is one to be considered an example to others.

Some fairly good ideas have been tossed out there on this. I like the medic, especially if this is someone that has seen a lot in her career. Generally I think more worldly people would be best for Luke, so a medic that was a veteran of the Galactic Civil War could work quite well.

A smuggler, sort of like a female version of Han Solo, could also work well. The irony being is that this concept is pretty darn similar to Mara Jade, just without the force sensitivity. Han Solo was a member of the Imperial Navy for awhile after all and the biting sarcasm and wit is something Jade wielded quite a bit as well.

Overall, I just don't know...

Revanfan1, T-R-, plaidphoenix and 2 others like this.
  17. maychild

Jan 16, 2013
    Hehe. I'm glad. No, really. :)

Well, when Luke initially crushed on Leia, he didn't yet know she was a kick ass type: all he saw was the beautiful girl in the hologram. But you're right, there certainly can be multiple heroines. As ever, we'll just have to wait and see. I am hoping that the people who are writing Episode VII have more talent and more respect for the story than the EU authors have had.

18. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    Kristin Scott Thomas (54)

[​IMG]

19. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    Joanne Whalley (50)

[​IMG]

Rabs and Ditolus like this.
  20. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    No matter how much I think about it, the answer is still either Lucy Liu or Shannen Doherty.

21. Luminous Beings Are We

Jun 10, 2014
    What about the OT? Besides the two droids, weren't the other good guys mostly just various types of warriors? If so, did you find that boring? Are you suggesting that the OT should've had a character like a medic? Isn't that what some of the droids were for?

I like the way our heroes are mostly injured with energy weapons. I wouldn't like for them to have to deal with really bloody wounds or broken bones, too, especially if they don't recover until after the episode.

22. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I don't think of Princess Leia and Han Solo as warriors primarily. Yes they know how to use a blaster, but Leia's leadership skills and Han's piloting skills were more important than that. What I just want is a rag-tag group that features different people with different skillsets, just like the OT. You could use droids instead of a human medic, but where's the fun in that?

23. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

I don't think she'd have to be warrior or even a Jedi.

I want to see a telekinetic fight between Leia and a darksider or squad of soldiers - although if Leia isn't trained and Mrs. Skywalker does feature, then that fight would be hers.

24. Luminous Beings Are We

Jun 10, 2014
    Even if they weren't primarily warriors, they still engaged in fighting on a regular basis, which was what I was getting at. I don't see Luke with someone who is a medic that lacks the ability to at least defend herself with a weapon, be it a lightsaber or blaster. She can do other things as well, but using a weapon regularly should be basic.

Abadacus likes this.
  25. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Yes, I'd think all in the Skywalker family would at least receive some blaster training.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.