main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

IF Luke Skywalker was killed off......

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Jedi_LS, Jan 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Jedi_LS

Master_Jedi_LS Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 8, 2009
    If Luke was killed off do you all think that it should be in a series like Fate of the Jedi or a stand alone book? I think it should be a stand alone book. That way it can be a more in depth look as to how it happens and why and it will also give Luke the respect he deserves.

2. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    definitely a standalone novel... by stover!!!

and definitely he should not be killed by a villain, no matter how goof the villain is.

He either a) should die of old age, b) die Obi Wan Kenobi style, raising his blade and sacrificing himself for others, c) The Ganner style or d) the villain does not kill him, rather trick him and his family into killing each other, kinda like: Luke vs. Leia... with illusions and other scary stuff going on.

my fav solution is still b)m then a), then d)

3. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I've just posted something about this in the FOTJ thread (bold emphasis added):

As mentioned in the bold part of the quote: I think the big challenge is that if he dies in battle it needs to be against a villain who is memorable. Luke Skywalker shouldn't die against the Warlord of the Week.

With how easily he wiped the floor with Jacen, it's going to take time to now build up a decent enemy without popping out a random Warlord of the Week to do him in.

I'd want it to be given the credit it deserves, not be a random isolated event in a giant series, but I also wouldn't want a villain popping out of nowhere for a stand alone. Now, one might argue after reading SoM: Shadowspawn was a standalone. True. But Shadowspawn, Blackhole, and Cronal also had years and years of build up and further exposition. Much as SoM may have been an interesting read despite only being a standalone, Shadowspawn didn't pop out of thin air.

I think the challenge now if they one day want Luke to go out fighting is developing someone who can actually do that; because, at the end of the day, if Caedus couldn't: who can? Much as the OOU reaction to Caedus may have been uninspiring, IU we got told he was meant to be the most powerful Sith Lord next to Vader; yet, even at a great distance through an illusion, Luke just needed to tap his finger to crush Caedus into the deck of his ship.

If Luke can do that to somebody on Vader's level: Who can't he?

Maybe Seff Hellin will be supercharged in some bizarre Jerec-and-the-Valley or Nihilus-and-a-Wound way but... I don't particularly want Luke to be killed by someone who was just in possession of a m

4. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    CeiranHarmony : or d) the villain does not kill him, rather trick him and his family into killing each other, kinda like: Luke vs. Leia... with illusions and other scary stuff going on.

In my opinion, this would be absolutely the worst possible way for Luke to die. To have him tricked into it by someone would be bad enough, but to have Luke and someone in his family like Leia kill one another, would be an astoundingly bad way for iconic characters to exit that GFFA. After all they've done for so many others and for the galaxy, they *really* don't deserve such disrespectful deaths.

I want to see Luke die of old age surrounded by friends, family, and tons of Jedi a long time in the future.

5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Admit it, you've been reading Wolverine: Old Man Logan, haven't you?

6. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    actually, I havn´t ;) not yet
    but maybe I should?

7. Eewoco

Eewoco Jedi Youngling star 1

May 7, 2007
    If it should happen it should be in a stand alone dedicated not only to his death but his life. If he really did die I'd either want it to happen of old age like Yoda or in an Arthurian type fashion were he is mortally wounded but triumphant, has some words with those closest to him, and vanishes into the mists.

8. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    It's funny that you equate respect for a character by killing them off?

9. Master_Jedi_LS

Master_Jedi_LS Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 8, 2009
    Oh by NO means do I want him killed off. I just have a gut feeling that it is coming :( And what I meant by respect is that instead of him dieing in a series as Mara did he would at the very least have his own book about it.

10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah Ceiran, you should.

It's written by Mark Millar, art by Steve mcNiven, runs in Wolverine 66-73, issue 70 just came out. It'll be a while before there's a TPB.

I now return everyone to the regular thread.

11. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    He should die choking on a sandwich while sitting on the toilet. Purely to show people that just because you're a hero and an important character doesn't mean you automatically get OMG TEH BEST DETH EVAR!!!!1!!1

12. RebelJoseWales

RebelJoseWales Jedi Master star 3

Sep 10, 2008
    The best way would be for Luke to die off-screen, at the hands of a spice-addled hobo. Or hit by some random shrapnel or a stray blaster bolt in battle. Or a speeder crash. Or have him in his starfighter still in the docking bay of a capship when it explodes.

13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It should be in a standalone novel.

If it's done in a 9-book series it would spread out the drama and the plot and seem too stretched (look at criticisms of LOTF, many feel it would have been better as a trilogy, and that Dark nest could have been a single novel). I'd rather have the whole storyline surrounding Luke's death to be contained in one book that is just soaked in good drama, plot, and characterization. I'd also like Georga Lucas to at least be indirectly involved with developing the plot of such a novel, too, if just to throw out suggestions.

14. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Kill the man, it matters not to me. He's not real. He's fictious. He doesn't live in my heart. I didn't grow up idolising Carrie and upset with Calrissian. He's just a character to me, nothing more.

15. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    I continue to hold that I don't think we should see him killed at all. The best possible end for him, in my mind, is the vanishing - no one knows where he is, but every so often, stories crop up of impossible things happening, impossible resolutions to problems, in the very worst parts of the galaxies. Wrongs being righted, slaves being freed - Jedi work. Only the Jedi order doesn't know of any Jedi in the area. The stories always speak of a single man, quiet, with smile lines, wearing simple clothing, with a green lightsaber that he rarely uses. And they always speak of hope.

16. RebelJoseWales

Sep 10, 2008
    I find an anticlimactic death and the end of hope in the Jedi far more entertaining.

17. jetsetterdavoo

jetsetterdavoo Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 3, 2006
    I love Luke, but it should be a "didn't see that one coming" death. Hot Chocolate down the wrong pipe.

18. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001

Master_Keralys : I continue to hold that I don't think we should see him killed at all. The best possible end for him, in my mind, is the vanishing - no one knows where he is, but every so often, stories crop up of impossible things happening, impossible resolutions to problems, in the very worst parts of the galaxies. Wrongs being righted, slaves being freed - Jedi work. Only the Jedi order doesn't know of any Jedi in the area. The stories always speak of a single man, quiet, with smile lines, wearing simple clothing, with a green lightsaber that he rarely uses. And they always speak of hope.

I rather like this too, Keralys. The only thing that would bother me about this would be the idea that Luke would be a loner, apart from his friends and family for the rest of his life. I guess I'd like a little more personal happiness for Luke later in life, rather than a fairly solitary existence among strangers.

19. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    I think that would make him happy. It'd be the opportunity to do what he'd always wanted, unencumbered by politics - simply wandering the galaxy making it a better place, fulfilling his idealistic dreams.

20. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I'd find that far less entertaining and almost the antithesis of SW.

21. RebelJoseWales

Sep 10, 2008
    And those are the primary contributing factors to my enjoyment.

22. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Yeah, I agree. I think it would be the most fitting ending possible for Luke to become an elusive wanderer who does good wherever he has to. Sure, it might be bitter sweet in that he accepts a more solitary existence for the betterment of others, but that's what makes it meaningful to me. The good thing about that ending is that it could even lead to another novel or smaller series where Luke is an important character without ever actually appearing in the narrative. Ben or another Jedi could begin the story feeling abandoned by Luke, but after following Luke's supposed trail and encountering first-hand evidence of what the mysterious Jedi has accomplished, they realize that Luke is right where he needs to be.

23. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    ezekiel22x :
    Ben or another Jedi could begin the story feeling abandoned by Luke, but after following Luke's supposed trail and encountering first-hand evidence of what the mysterious Jedi has accomplished, they realize that Luke is right where he needs to be.

So why couldn't we have both? Luke could be off on his own "right where he needs to be", but he could keep in touch now and then with family. After all, there are all sorts of communication devices in that GFFA, and I just don't see Luke totally giving up his family, especially after losing about 18 years of his early life with his sister, and never really knowing his own parents. Family has always been important to Luke.

24. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I'm still a fan of the idea Dawud posted here. If not that, I'd want to see what Keralys posted.

You like it because it's not Star Wars and would anger other fans?

25. KnightDawg

KnightDawg Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2007
    He should sense a great threat in the Force and take off on his own into the Unkown Regions and that's how it ends. Allow all of us to come up with our own conclusions as to the true fate of Luke..........Revan style!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.