IF Luke Skywalker was killed off......

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Jedi_LS, Jan 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RebelJoseWales Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    In a manner of speaking; I find incongruity hilarious and enjoy other people's frustration.
  2. Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Ah, I can understand the former, but don't get the latter.
  3. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    He's too busy coming up with awesome ideas like "what if Dooku got captured by pirates?"
  4. Master_Keralys Sometime Technical Aide and Erstwhile Lit Mod

Manager
    star 5
    I would personally be completely opposed to GL's involvement at any level other than rubber-stamping it.
  5. ezekiel22x Chosen One

star 5
    I wouldn't see this as Luke "giving up" on his family as much as I would that he recognizes that other people need him more so than his family does. He wouldn't necessarily have to abandon his love for Han and Leia and Ben and his family, but rather recognize that distant places in the galaxy need a Jedi protector more than Luke needs to be involved in the day to day affairs of his familial subsections. Of course, this avenue would probably depend on Han, Leia and company finding some stability in life, or at the very least not getting caught up in yet other Galactic Mega Crisis.
  6. darthadimentsu Jedi Master

star 1
    I like Keralys's idea in many ways - for Luke to become the myth in fact that he had already become in person. To make the perhaps bigger sacrifice - of life while living rather than of life by dying.

Alternatively, the old victory over death never really goes amiss.
  7. Karohalva Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    If Luke Skywalker was killed off......

HE WOULD SOON BE BACK, AND IN GREATER NUMBERS!
  8. RebelJoseWales Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Not really. We'd just get a grimdark version of him, probably addicted to death sticks, with family issues and some weird power no one else has...
  9. NewStaryknight Jedi Master

star 4
    Maybe it could be in another type of story about a new Jedi or a new hero to the galaxy questioning his role in things, so he or she goes on a journey to find the legendary Luke Skywalker to get some advice but can't find him anywhere. Then when the hero abandons hope, he or she hears of a hooded figure in the Unkown Regions righting wrongs and bringing hope to its citizens, and then at the end the hero meets an adult Ben Skywalker or an elderly Princess Leia who who give the hero a reassuring wink.

That way it gives the reader the message that Luke is still out there in some form or other and that he does keep in touch with his family, they just never tell anybody out right.
  10. TuskenTommy Jedi Knight

star 2
    My honest feelings on Luke being killed off---
    -I wouldn't have the same energy & excitement that i've had with buying the new Star Wars book, the energy that's been there since the NJO started. But i can also say that i've already lost energy & excitement because of the Legacy comic series making our BIG-3 storline a prequel.
    -To kill Luke off doesn't make too much sense simply put, because he is the most interesting character in the ongoing series. Has anyone skipped/or been annoyed at a Luke chapter? Going back to Vector Prime? I recall the sappy/dramatic Leia political chapters killing me. Never fealt that way bout a Luke chapter..He is Thee Grand Master & i like it that way..
    --Han & Leia are also very popular with me since Leia became bad-arse. She is a worthy co-pilot & makes the chapters with her & Han enjoyable.. Han wouldn't be the same without her & vice versa..

--~~THE GRASS IS ALWAYS GREENER?~~--

-Seems to me the biggest mistake ever made by DelRey is the way time flies. 5 years here,,6 here,2-3 here etc etc. Now all of a sudden the Big-3 are old. & now the PRE-TOLD ending is nearing due to Legacy comics. This si THEE-ONLY issue i have with Legacy. I love the writer & artist & have since Republic. But my precious era has been effected...bah
  11. Rouge77 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Luke killed off now would just be lame. It would be seen in the light of DR's previous kills. They achieved the shock they were after when they killed Chewbacca and Anakin, but then people were already used to major character deaths and the reaction to Mara's death was to a large extent resigned fatalism as her death came as a surprise to few, and then Jacen's killing, which they basically did just to show that they had the guts to kill the only surviving Solo son and it did came as a surprise for some because of that fact. Killing Luke would just be seen as taking a path now often traveled, a weak trick played too often which would just be a desperate attempt to gain publicity beyond the usual SW novel reading public in an effort to get bigger sales.

They should kill Boba Fett instead. Enough heroes have died. Kill the big surviving villain instead. Few would expect DR really to have the guts to do that.
  12. Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Of course, few would even call Fett a villain at this point.

Edit: I mean, I would, but most view him as an anti-hero.
  13. Saber_Leader Force Ghost

star 4
    I agree with several points already mentioned, mainly that Luke should know when his time is up and choose to sacrifice himself anyway. Also that whoever actually does kill Luke has to be a major threat, not just the current fallen Jedi/civil war. Finally, I don't think that a new major villain will be developed enough for this, which narrows the list of possibilities. The only current threat that has any real development is the One Sith. We know what happens in Legacy, and we know that they're around in LotF. Alema is told that Lumiya developed Caedus to distract Luke's Jedi from the One Sith; Luke should start to become aware of them (perhaps during his exile in Fate of the Jedi), forcing the One Sith to act. Still, few of the One Sith could take Luke; I only see two real options. Darth Krayt could challenge Luke, but I don't think he's risk his big reveal on the chance he could defeat Luke. Maybe if he sees that he has no other chance, but I feel that it's a small chance that Krayt kills Luke.

That only leaves one option, in my mind. A member of the One Sith, willing to face Luke Skywalker to keep his master's vision from discovery, and strong enough to actually defeat Luke.

Darth Wyyrlok I
  14. Zorrixor Chosen One

star 6
    Wyyrlok I actually isn't a bad idea. A member of the One Sith would be a lot more meaningful than the fallen Jedi Of The Month. If Luke died, but took Wyyrlok down with him, and in some way his sacrifice pushed back the New Sith Order's plans for a century that could be neat.

I think the only problem would be his ghost would obviously know about the Sith, so they'd need to explain why he never just spilt the beans. Though, I suppose it could be that he did "defeat the Sith", at least Wyyrlok and his Sith, but maybe just didn't realise Krayt himself was out there.

Actually... I may take back my comments of saying a Ganner death would not suit Luke... as I could envision a Ganner death scene were Luke to hold off a horde of Sith Lords.
  15. Dawud786 Force Ghost

star 4
    Stang, I still haven't picked up issue 69...
  16. Saber_Leader Force Ghost

star 4
    I don't think we'll see a Ganner death for Luke. Face a horde single-handed, allowing others to escape? Possibly. Laughing while he does it? Not going to happen.
  17. patchworkz7 Force Ghost

star 4
    I'd like to see Luke go out like Paul from Dune, just walking into the Tantooine wastes after some battle or another has burnt him out, and no one sees or hears of him again.

Or he just gets on a ships and disappears.

That's the way to do it.

There's no death that could really do him justice.
  18. A_Stuffed_Tauntaun Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Luke is clearly harming the plot lines/potential plot lines.

I also think the best course of action would be for him to die, leaving the protagonists in a Post ESB emotional setting. I think everyone wants that.
  19. Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group

VIP
    star 4
    I don't think that an Arthurian death has been depicted in SW yet, so it would be perfect for Luke. Including the "coming back when needed" prophecy that ties to the Force Ghost.

But I doubt it would happen because SW EU is largely about showing everything. Once the heroes watched ROTS on Artoo's internal DVD player, it had become clear that the attitude for main events is show-don't-tell.

The best chance were if Lucas found out and axed a project that didn't sit well with him, like the exploration of Plagueis and Sidious which would definitely not have been according to his vision. The best hope would be that Lucas somehow gets an official idea for how the story goes. Everything else wouldn't really work.
  20. Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Yeah. I could see Luke facing his death with a wry smile as Ben did, but he would die with the gusto (for lack of a better term) that Ganner had.

I think that (or him heading of to Millinar never to be seen again), the idea of a sacrifice ala Ben, Keralys idea of Luke becoming an unknown righter of wrongs, or Dawud's idea of willing himself into the Force before anything was going to kill his flesh would be the best ideas.

I don't want it and given the diversity of opinions in Lit, I don't think there's anything that everyone wants.
  21. Eewoco Jedi Knight

star 1
    I don't want Luke to die and don't see him harming any stories. Let's kill *insert your favorite character* to get an emotional setting and you'll see just how ignorant that blanket statement is. Death is permanant, capture like in ESB, learning some Dark secret like in ESB, facing evil and failing like in ESB is all great, but should be temporary because heros win in the end freeing their friends, accepting their fate and defeating the enemy.
  22. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    Until he comes back, finds out his son has begun to morph into a worm, preaches against his demon-possessed sister, and gets killed by a priest. On second thought, maybe not.:p
  23. Master_Jedi_LS Jedi Master

star 1
    The only reason some of you might want Luke to die is because the authors are doing such a bad job writing his character. If Luke is written well he is great to read about, but if he is this bumbling old fool that takes for ever to make a decision of course people are going to want him gone.

I myself am a big Luke fan and I don't know where his story should go. There are a lot of options to take but which is the right one. I know I don't want him dead. There are SO MANY stories that can still be told about Luke Skywalker!
  24. Ghost Chosen One

star 6
    Luke has been written poorly because he's too powerful. Once he knows all the facts and is determined to do what must be done, he becomes an unstoppable force of nature.

Here's a new idea:

You know how Brand and the other dead Jedi are in an eternal struggle with Palpatine's spirit, to keep him restrained to Chaos?

Maybe that's how Luke can go. Maybe he encounters a threat so powerful that it would require him to die, and struggle with this entity in the eternity of the afterlife, in order to contain it. That Luke has to surrender into the Force willingly, "becoming more powerful than you can possibly imagine" in order to contain this threat which only he would be powerful enough to do.
  25. Eewoco Jedi Knight

star 1
    I would hate to see that tbh. Luke deserves peace not war in his next life.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.