main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT If Padme had lived........

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Frankakin skywalker, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Remember, Yoda said, "Through the Force, visions you will see. Other places. The past, the future. Old friends long gone." The basis for that explanation is there, though I agree I'm just speculating.

2. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013

Once Luke was trained and able to use the force to get/create those visions. Leia wasn't.

As I said, if the two lines/ideas really did fit together, there would be no need for speculation. And really, the Force can be used as a very good catch all reason for pretty much anything/everything in the series.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The excuse that Padme was "sensitive" doesn't work for me. In no way should she have been so "crushed" by what happened that she died. Sensitivity is a good thing, but weakness is not, and plenty of sensitive people learn to cope. I can't respect or sympathize with the level of weakness that she displayed in that movie.

Even "Anakin, you're breaking my heart!" was like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. The better reaction would have been no tears, not in front of him anyway; a simple "You. Are. Insane." and either a faster-than-Han blaster draw or a run or walk back onto the ship.

themetresgained likes this.
  4. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Again, we'll just have to agree to differ. I find it believable, you don't.

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Even before she knows the precise nature of Anakin's involvement, she seems to think she won't live much longer, during Palpatine's "A Safe and Secure Society" speech in the novel:

Bail couldn't hear Padme over the din, but he could read her lips.
    So this is how liberty dies, she was saying to herself. With cheering, and applause.
    "We can't let this happen!" Bail lurched to his feet. "I have to get to my pod—we can still enter a motion—"
    "No." Her hand seized his arm with astonishing strength, and for the first time since he'd arrived, she looked straight into his eyes. "No, Bail, you can't enter a motion. You can't. Fang Zar has already been arrested, and Tundra Dowmeia, and it won't be long until the entire Delegation of the Two Thousand are declared enemies of the state. You stayed off that list for good reason; don't add your name by what you do today."
    "But I can't just stand by and watch—"
    "You're right. You can't just watch. You have to vote for him."
    "What?"
    "Bail, it's the only way. It's the only hope you have of remaining in a position to do anyone any good. Vote for Palpatine. Vote for the Empire. Make Mon Mothma vote for him too. Be good little Senators. Mind your manners and keep your heads down. And keep doing... all those things we can't talk about. All those things I can't know. Promise me, Bail."
    "Padme, what you're talking about—what we're not talking about—it could take twenty years! Are you under suspicion? What are you going to do?"
    "Don't worry about me," she said distantly. "I don't know I'll live that long."

6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Anakin was unconsciously using the Force in certain ways, including having precognitive dreams, before training.

7. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    I wonder why it is that dudes in this thread find it so easy to believe that a woman could die of a broken heart, whereas the women are like 'no, this actually goes against every other part of her character's treatment in the other films, this is nuts and bad writing'.

VanishingReality likes this.
  8. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011

To be honest, no matter what anyone thinks of Padmé's reaction, I don't think anyone thinks her reaction is worse than Anakin's. Even if one believes that Padmé died because she couldn't stand the thought of living without Anakin, at least she only let herself die -- while leaving her children in the care of trusted friends.

Anakin's reaction to the mere threat against Padmé's life was to betray everyone that cared about him and murder all the Jedi, including the children.

I don't really see it as a result of gender (and, even if that's the case, Padmé still comes out looking better -- Anakin literally says he can't live without her). Really, it's more of a character issue. Padmé's a martyr -- I can see her dying if she believes the cause worthy.

Kenneth Morgan likes this.
  9. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013
    Hey if I can live with Superman's mom abandoning him before Krypton went boom... Then I can live with this [face_dunno]

10. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

I'm a woman. And I found nothing wrong with Padme's death.

11. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    "In this thread" i.e. having been a part of the argument that has spanned 3 or 4 pages. Obviously.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    PiettsHat and DRush are women, I'm a woman and we're on the opposite sides of this.

I think perspective may have to do with personality than gender.

I agree with Piett that Anakin's reaction was worse, but Anakin's reaction was about as bad as it could get.

13. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    I wasn't suggesting that it was a hard-and-fast rule, just an observation :p

14. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

He is able to fly pods because he is seeing a second or two, if that, into the future. He wasn't have visions of the futures or relatives he never met

I'm a dude and I didn't like that part of the story. Beyond the medical impossible-ness of it, you're right it doesn't seem like Padme to just give up AND what kind of mother just gives up on her children? Sure your'e husband had turned and is basically gone/lost, but you now have these 2 infant's that NEED you, that doesn't give someone meaning? The whole thing would have been better and made sense (espically given Leia's line in RotJ) if Padme had gone to Alderaan as well and died off screen.

Who then turn them over to people who are basically strangers (at the very least, Luke is).

She didn't abandon him, she saved his life by sending him away. Now, had Lucas created that kind of situation for Padme at the end of Episode III. Maybe she gives birth earlier in the movie, she knows Anakin is coming to get her but she doesn't want him to get the children and knows he'll hunt her down if she runs, so she gives the twins to Obi-wan, tells Anakin they died in child birth (or maybe that she aborted them or something to keep them away from their father.......) and then Anakin ends up killing her in a fit rage over it, maybe Palpatine knows she is preganent and wants Anakin to get the baby so they can start training it basically from birth and he is unhappy he failed his master.......

In that kind of situation she does die for something she believes in, she goes out fighting, she dies protecting her children. The Leia line still doesn't make sense, but its a much better death for the character

15. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    His dreams are supposed to be occasionally precognitive or prophetic; even if we throw out the one alluded to in TPM, there's a better example in the novelization.

16. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

Except they never shown be, thats you adding something that isn't there to make your opinion fit better.

Also, pre-cog dreams (that might or might not be true, and if they aren't true were they really pre-cog visions?) and learning what your mother, who you never met, was really like aren't the samething.

17. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Wrong. My "opinion" was a reference to those examples in the first place. They are there: one is in the film, and the other is in the novelization. Not to mention that his prophetic dreams continue in AOTC/ROTS and become totally undeniable at that point. You act as if he had to be trained to have dreams. Dream training???

18. Darth Raiden

Aug 28, 2013

She didn't abandon him, she saved his life by sending him away. Now, had Lucas created that kind of situation for Padme at the end of Episode III. Maybe she gives birth earlier in the movie, she knows Anakin is coming to get her but she doesn't want him to get the children and knows he'll hunt her down if she runs, so she gives the twins to Obi-wan, tells Anakin they died in child birth (or maybe that she aborted them or something to keep them away from their father.......) and then Anakin ends up killing her in a fit rage over it, maybe Palpatine knows she is preganent and wants Anakin to get the baby so they can start training it basically from birth and he is unhappy he failed his master.......

In that kind of situation she does die for something she believes in, she goes out fighting, she dies protecting her children. The Leia line still doesn't make sense, but its a much better death for the character[/quote].

Ifmy memory serves me correct in the pilot episode of the animated series, Jor El gave her the opportunity to leave with Kal, but decided to stay instead

19. Darth Raiden

Aug 28, 2013

In that kind of situation she does die for something she believes in, she goes out fighting, she dies protecting her children. The Leia line still doesn't make sense, but its a much better death for the character[/quote].

If my memory serves me correct in the pilot episode of the animated series, Jor El gave her the opportunity to leave with Kal, but decided to stay instead

20. DLINE

DLINE Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2013
    Ok if she lived. Well she didn't.

21. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

There isn't one in the film. He says he dreamed he was a Jedi and he came back and freed the slaves. Thats not a prophetic dream. And in AotC and RotS he is a trained force user. And everyone has dreams, but not everyone has dreams of the future or were they learn about people they never knew, to a point were they felt like they actually knew them for years.

Ifmy memory serves me correct in the pilot episode of the animated series, Jor El gave her the opportunity to leave with Kal, but decided to stay instead[/quote]

That would bet he only version of the story I've heard including that element.

22. The Star Wars Archivist

The Star Wars Archivist Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    If she survived the force choke? She didn't.

"Only Sith deal in absolutes"

He made sure of it.

23. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    That's not a prophetic dream???? He became a Jedi so that part was fully correct, and he also freed the galaxy from becoming slaves to the Empire. There's also a precognitive dream about the Tuskens in the novel.

He was already using the Force before being trained, just without realizing it. Did the Jedi teach him to dream better?

24. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

A kid dreaming he is the real life super hero of the Star Wars universe, doing something he never actually does is not a prophetic dream.

As I said, he is seeing 1-2 seconds into the future, not getting visions of the future. And the Jedi taught him to connect with the force that his dreams did start to become prophetic, where they weren't in TPM.

25. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    He actually does become a Jedi. He actually does balance the Force, making him the Chosen One, kind of a "real life super hero of the Star Wars universe". Even the part about freeing the slaves is metaphorically true if not literally true.

We know he was connecting to the Force without necessarily realizing it before he was accepted by the Jedi. There doesn't seem to be any particular reason why receptivity to prophetic dreams should be any different.