main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT If Palpatine had suspected Anakins Child(Ren) had survived?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Eageryoungpadawan, May 2, 2015.

1. Eageryoungpadawan

Eageryoungpadawan Jedi Padawan

Feb 26, 2013
    I think that the lars homestead, and alderaan would have been on the first dozen places he checked

They should have picked a more out of the way location.

2. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Tatooine maybe, but Alderaan? Naah.

3. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Palpatine would have found them and trained them to be his acolytes, like Maul.

4. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    It does seem a tad silly, but Vader and the Emperor had no idea the children survived.

Django Fett likes this.
  5. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Tatooine may have been picked precisely because they believed Anakin would avoid it (or they might have still thought Anakin was dead). Plus it's very much out of the way of the Empire.

Alderaan, I'm not sure why they would have a reason to suspect though. Padmé was friends with Bail Organa, yes, but there's nothing really tying him to the children. Bail and Padmé shared a pod during Palpatine's speech but that hardly constitutes a reason to suspect he might be hiding her child.

6. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Wouldn't it be suspicious, though? Preggers!Padme dies and the Organas suddenly have a kid? Wouldn't that warrant a little investigation?

7. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Assuming Bail was dumb enough to start parading the kid around straight away, then yeah. But he was on the Petition thing, he knows Palpatine is going to be looking for dirt on him so he'd keep the kid out of the way even if she really was his.

8. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Did Palps even know Anakin was for sure expecting children? He only ever says "save your wife, from certain death."

I feel like if he knew the children were involved, he would've triple checked to make sure they didn't survive, or better yet if they did, groom them to eventually kill Vader, join him, and forever do his bidding.

9. SpaceLord2014

SpaceLord2014 Jedi Knight

Dec 31, 2014
    It was no secret that she was pregnant and he new of their relationship so that don't seem like it should even be a question (unless he knew that Padme was seeing someone else besides Anakin).

As for the hiding I think it would work but still wouldn't the empire be on the lookout for force sensitivies? I would think they would have their spy organisation on the lookout for children who showed above average skills in all types of areas and as such wouldn't Leia be in most danger for being in such a public household?

10. _Sublime_Skywalker_

May 8, 2004
    Actually, it's never commonly known Padme is pregnant. As much as it's painfully obvious, the people around her in ROTS are supposed to be unaware. That's why when Obi Wan is all "yo gurl, Anakin is the father," she seems so shocked someone has seen through her terrible disguise of just huge clothes.

The darkside clouds everything, keep in mind. Palps could've been so focused on turning Anakin and destroying the Jedi he failed to see it. I'm mainly asking, did Palps ever straight up say he knew she was pregnant or that the children died?

11. SpaceLord2014

SpaceLord2014 Jedi Knight

Dec 31, 2014
    Really? To me it was more shock that he knew it was Anakins and not the fact that she is pregnant. If GL tried to tell the story the way you described it I would have to say it's even dumber than I thought, hide a giant bulge? "yeah I just got really fat during the last 9 months, don't know how that happened". Not to mention twins, that is one giant tummy to hide. How can you say that people around her are to be unaware but the audience not? Are we to assume that everybody in the movie is an idiot? Not to mention the fact that Palapatine would have kept track on all the senators in general in order to manipulate the senate. Nothing in the movie to me even suggest that what you are proposing to be possible without everybody being dumber than Jar-Jar. We also have the fact that Anakin seems to confine in Palpatine, they discuss his killing the Sand People so from that we can assume they have a pretty chummy relationship which makes it even more likely that Anakin would have told Palpatine about the pregnancy (even though it's not stated in the movie).

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The EU did portray it as an "open secret" with plenty of people having already guessed she was pregnant.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  13. _Sublime_Skywalker_

May 8, 2004
    Also, part of the whole "what did you just say?" line in ROTS when Palps confronts Anakin about Padme dying is supposed to not only show Anakin's surprise as Palpy knowing about his premonitions, but knowing about Padme being his wife in general. As much as Anakin confided in Palps, I don't believe he ever told him about marrying Amidala. Not only does that risk his career as a Jedi, but her credibility as a politician.

What you say is true; the people in the universe would have to be stupid to not openly confront Padme about her obvious pregnancy, but this is also a universe that believes Anakin and Padme aren't actually together as well. This is also a galaxy where people wear weird and elaborate clothing. Padme's clothes although hiding a gigantic baby bump, is also flamboyant and consistent with the SW universe style guide. Like Iron said, many in the Senate kinda knew, but it was a see no evil speak no evil kinda deal. I'm not saying Palpataine didn't know, because he probably did; force sensitive twins, son and daughter of Skywalker, and he spends enough time with Padme and Anakin to sense the turmoil. I'm simply saying, it's never stated, I believe, that he did know.

14. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Wasn't it said somewhere in the novels that even the Jedi Padawans knew where Anakin spent most of his time when not in the Temple/on a mission? Honestly, it was a secret that kinda wasn't a secret yet everyone acted like it was because plot.

15. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Maybe the Emperor knew but wanted to keep it from Vader, but I think potentially it could be used in an EU Novel.

16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The comics - specifically, the Clone Wars comic Obsession.

Obi-Wan, when he arrives at Padme's house on Naboo, where Anakin is:

"Every Padawan on Coruscant knows where to find you. But I don't care what you do on leave. I'm only here because I need your help."

Jedi Knight Fett and AndyLGR like this.
  17. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    If Palpatine suspected that Anakin had surviving children, he would hunt them down behind Vader's back, and if he found them, he would give them false identities and raise them to be Inquisitors.

18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    "The Emperor knew, as I did, that if Anakin were to have any children, they would be a threat to him. That is why your sister remains safely anonymous."

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.