main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC If Pinocchio said "my nose will grow"

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , May 3, 2015.

1. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    What happens to his nose?

2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
  3. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    "We can confuse him and make his head explode! [robot voice] This statement is a lie. But if it's a lie, then it must be true! And if it's true, it must be... Whoop, whoop, whoop! KA-BOOM!"

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Colonel Campbell calls him on the codec and berates him for creating a paradox, game over.

5. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I was expecting the OP to be some complete non-sequitur. I am disappoint.

6. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Is it anywhere stated that his nose grows only when he tells a lie? I'm perfectly fine with a situation where if he tells a lie, he can't control the nose growth, but at other times, he can cause it to grow or shrink at will.

7. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    You're thinking of ultimate pinocchio

8. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

His third eye opens.

His nose, meanwhile, I dunno, achieves enlightenment.

9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Norman, coordinate!

10. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    I'd be like "holy **** this puppet just spoke"

11. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    He never indicated when his nose will grow. So long as, at some point in the future, he tells a lie and his nose responds appropriately, what he said is true. There's no contradiction here.

12. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    So this is like that whole "if a man is a liar and says 'I am a liar' is he lying" thing?

That paradox is stupid. It obviously depends on whether or no he's telling the truth.

13. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    It obviously depends on what Pinocchio thinks will happen. Or is his nose growth independent of his knowledge and completely omniscient of what is true and what isn't? Could Pinocchio just start saying "the winning lotto number will be 00001", " the winning lotto number will be 00002"... until his nose didn't grow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    It grows. No. Yes. No. I don't. Can't. Logic...processors....fail...does not....

15. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Well, except for the fact that deciding a proposition about future events has a definite truth value at the time it is made is significantly more philosophically problematic than the liar paradox, sure.

16. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Irrelevant, actually. Pinocchio's nose is not an independent arbiter of some sort of "objective" or "universal" truth. It would not have grown if he had laughed off the Big Bang as impossible. Rather, it only responds to what Pinocchio understands to be true or false according to his most earnest perception of the world. If Pinocchio is a fatalist, and if he therefore "knows" he will lie in the future, he is certainly telling the truth insofar as his nose is concerned.

17. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    We definitely don't know that, as I pointed above. You are making many assumptions here, Wocky, and this is a serious subject.

Darth Punk likes this.
  18. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Yes we do. Watch this scene.

Pinocchio describes meeting two monsters. When asked whether he was afraid, he says he was not, causing his nose to grow. If it were based on objective truth, this should not have happened. He was not, in fact, afraid while skipping school, because there were no monsters to be afraid of. But his nose grew because he knew internally that in the scenario posited (meeting monsters), he would have been afraid, regardless of whether he actually was. So he was functionally lying in his response by accurately describing his emotional state at the time in question. Subjective, not objective truth.

QED.

19. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Oh. You are basing your argument on the Disney version, not the original Italian fairy tale. That explains the lack of subtlety. Sad but understandable.

EDIT: Actually, you are completely right. The tale my mom read me had Pinocchio's nose growing whenever he was nervous; the moralizing "only when lying" might have been added a posteriori. This brings more questions, of course...

20. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002

It stays the same because Pinocchio isn't lying. His nose will grow...if he tells a lie. Therefore, Pinocchio, much like Obi-Wan Kenobi, realizes that omitting the truth is not necessarily lying.

And after he comes to said realization, he decides to run for Congress.

And yet nobody questions how a sentient puppet made of wood just created biological life in the form of the two baby birds...

Or did the Blue Fairy do that just to screw with him?

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  21. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    His nose grows because he continues the lie: "but they tied me in a big sack". It doesn't begin to grow until he says that after he's already said he wasn't afraid. It has nothing to do with whether or not he was afraid. Objective truth.

22. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    Does anybody really know the secret? Or the combination for this life and where they keep it? It's kinda sad when you don't know the meaning, but everything happens for a reason.

23. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I don't particular care about being nosy concerning Pinocchio.

24. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I think the real question is if Pinocchio puts his nose up to Thor's hammer and then tells a lie, will the nose lift the hammer?

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  25. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I strongly suspect Odin's magic is more powerful than some random fairy's, so probably not.