main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"IF" Plauegis Manipulated the Midichlorians to create Anakin, did he do it through Magic or Science?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by LottDodd, Nov 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    When creating Anakin's virgin birth (if that is indeed what Plauegis and Sidious were up to), was the process predominently a "Magical" or a "Scientific" process.

I know the term isn't generally "Magic" it is "The Force", and I'm sure that there was plenty of Meditation and force use in the process...

But was the creation of "The Chosen One" A Sith Ritual? With Chanting and Incense and the "Focusing of Dark Powers"?

Or was it more of a "Pseudo-scientific" Process with Lab technicans, and blood tests, and cloned midichlorian strains?

Was there a "Chosen One Creation Research Laboratory" Somewhere, or did it take place in the musty old tomb of some Forgotten Sith Lord?

2. TheLucasAdvocate1992

TheLucasAdvocate1992 Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 14, 2010
    Personally my gut says both science! and the Force were used in Anakin's birth, though I hadn't thought about it before now. [face_thinking]

3. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Call it 'Alchemy', which implies a mixture of both.

4. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    I'm going strictly magical here. Theres nothing to support the use of Science, and if they had the tech, they could have done it more than just once.

5. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    ANAKIN
    Master, sir? I?ve been wondering? what are midi-chlorians?

QUI-GON
    Midi-chlorians are microscopic lifeforms that reside within all living cells and communicate with the Force.

ANAKIN
    They live inside of me?

QUI-GON
    In your cells. We are symbionts with the midi-chlorians.

Oh, very magical stuff. I imagine Gandalf's microscope, test tubes & bunsen burner ended up being cut out of The Hobbit & LOTR to shave one or two pages off the total.

6. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003

[face_laugh]

7. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    You know, I always imagined Jedi wisdom was passed down through word of mouth the way Ben and Yoda taught Luke. But we found out that one of the Jedi's biggest flaws WAS that they were becoming more machine-like in their methods. They read an infants force potential on a computer screen, program their students from birth, and "If it does not appear in our records, it does not exist."
    If Qui-Gon had told little Anakin that "you will hear the heavens speaking to you" or the stars, or whatever, people wouldn't be complaining I think. But midichlorians are like the inverse of a common religious theme. Rather than the voice of the Force being "up there" its "in there, somewhere" which not only is more appropriate for the Sci-Fi setting of Star Wars, but is somehow less trite and cliche, and is a continuation Jedi's pantheistic idea of the universe as one big symbiotic life-form.

If technology is the opposite of nature in SW, and if the dark side is gives you unnatural abilities, does that mean the dark side IS science or vice versa? The Sith "create" electricity with their Force lightening, could that same electricity be used to resuscitate a dying person? If the Emperor did anything close to saving anyone from death, it would be putting Vader in his mechanical life support suit.

I doubt that answers the original question, but those are my thoughts at present.

8. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    Palps and Plaugeis probably didn't have to walk and walk and walk to pull it off though:p

9. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Magical. Palpatine was doing all kinds of crazy screwing-around-with-biology stuff by the post-ROTJ time frame, like literally "gifting" people with the ability to use the Force.

10. FalorWindrider

FalorWindrider Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 7, 2010
    Wow...

just wow...

The Dark Side IS Science? Yeah, dark age inquisitors thought that too.

If the Jedi know a scientific basis for Force Sensitivity, why shouldn't they use a way to verify it through such methods? And Vader was injured because he was an idiot. It was the application of prosthesis that enabled him to survive. It has nothing to do with science being bad. And if you think science is bad, good luck curing a fever by bleeding yourself.

11. StampidHD280pro

Jul 28, 2005
    Read what I said again and think metaphorically.
    Machines in Star Wars are helpful (if you ask for their help), but they are often associated with stupidity and war. "technological terror" "more machine than man - twisted and evil" Big machines do not solve problems in this story, big hearts do.

May I suggest you read some Mary Baker Eddy, refute it (you know you want to), and then go back, read it again, and refute your first stance. And try turning off your targeting computer every once in a while.

And just in case you haven't caught on just yet, I do NOT think that science is evil. Nor do I assume that GL does. He seems pretty keen on technology in film. Cloning and transhumanism... not so much.

EDIT: Back to the topic. The fact that Anakin's midichlorian count is "off the charts" and that the graphic on the screen looks like of an unlimited life cheat on a video game definitely implies something underhanded in his conception. I no longer think that Anakin was the will of the force.

12. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    From the POV of characters such as "Sith scientist" Darth Ramage, the Force is science.

13. StampidHD280pro

Jul 28, 2005
    If you take that line of thought a bit further, Anakin created life when he put Threepio together.

14. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    I am beginning to think it was mostly "scientific". We have seen nary a chant or a light of a candle (other than ewok magic) in the saga...
    But more than that, both the Jedi and the Sith seem to rely on traditional medicine. When Padme is sick and dying, Yoda and Obi-wan do not "Lay hands on her", they get her to the hospital, and wait worriedly to see what the droids have to say. The same thing with Anakin's injuries on Mustafar, I believe Palpatine's use of the force was able to help stabilize Anakin (And Anakin's own strength had alowed him to survive to that point as well), but the first thing Palpatine asks for is a Medical Capsule. The Emperor does not sacrifice his stormtrooper gaurds as a blood offering to the dark side, nor does he draw arcane symbols on Anakin's burnt body.
    When "The Chosen One" was being concieved, I believe it had to be a similar situation: Test Tubes and Droids. Certainly Plaugeis and Sidious are focusing dark energies concurrently, but from the outside it would look like "scientific research".

I first asked this question after seeing a great piece of art in the amazing new book "Star Wars Art: Vision's" (If you get a chance to peruse it, do, it is phenomenal). One of the pictures had a shirtless Darth Maul dancing with Urns of Incence around a sleeping (and Pregnant) Shmi Skywalker. Palpatine (I can't remember if he was there, or just a hologram) watches over bathed in dark energies. A very striking image.

15. Darth_Magus

Darth_Magus Jedi Master star 2

Apr 25, 2002
    Good points Lott,

It does make me wonder, continuing on with your view of a scientific Sith methodology if this was something that evolved in their order after Bane made the the Rule of Two, as perhaps the more ancient Sith were far more magical in their methods, pure speculation yes, but possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.