main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

If Starcraft is considered the classic RTS game, why haven't they . . .

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Excellence, Nov 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    I've seen so many reviews calling Starcraft the classic game that all RTSs are compared to . . . the way at first all 1st person shooters were called Doom-type games in the 90s. So why haven't they made a Starcraft 2 to capitalise on this success?

There's a Starcraft: Ghost game still in the works, but I think a Starcraft 2 would be enthusiastically received, don't you?

2. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Probably because they made the wisest decision a gaming studio could possibly make, and decided not to ruin the good name of SC with a crappy sequel that they only made to make money.

3. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    What makes you think the sequel would have been crappy, Hawk. Not that I'm saying Brood Wars was sterling material---it was much harder and, well, storywise as predictable as a breath mint would last in a Hutt mouth.

4. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    I'm not saying it's guaranteed to be crappy - Half-Life 2 is, from what I've heard so far, at the very least a worthy successor to the original - but it wouldn't be the first time a studio has released a sequel for no other reason than to capitalise on the success of the first. If they spent as much time and money on it as they did something like Warcraft 3, then I'd be all for it.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Plus, they didn't have to put out a new game right away anyways- Starcraft has been around for 7 years, and it was just as popular a couple years ago as it was when it launched.

They let the fanbase grow and mature. Assuming they put out a quality product, imagine how big SC2 will be when it does come out.

6. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Plus, they didn't have to put out a new game right away anyways- Starcraft has been around for 7 years, and it was just as popular a couple years ago as it was when it launched.

I think part of that is because they haven't launched a sequel so we're just stuck with the original game.

7. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ...up until half a year ago, it was STILL the game i played the most on my system..

I think they realize that, when they sit down and do a sequel, they BETTER insure that it absolutely lives up to it's namesake..

8. Rayson

Rayson Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Mmmm..starcraft....*crunch,crunch*

9. Boutros-Boutros

Boutros-Boutros Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Because Warcraft was due for a sequel first. I'd wager that Team 1 has been working on Starcraft 2 since shortly after the release of The Frozen Throne expansion set.

10. AdmiralZaarin

AdmiralZaarin Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2001
    Starcraft is by no means "the classic RTS", and any one who tells you that it is is most likely wrong.

Command & Conquer forever holds that particular appellation in my heart.

And besides, Kane's head is shiny. How many Zerg can lay claim to a cool goatee and shiny head?

11. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    C&C revolutionised the genre, nobody would argue that. Most RTS games these days still follow its basic formula. But Starcraft remains one of the most played RTS games of all time, and I think you'd be hard pressed to find any game - including C&C or Red Alert - that surpasses it for enjoyment and replayability, at least in terms of popular opinion.

12. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    The admiral speaks true; there was a time when they were called Doom-type games, or Quake-type games, or Command and Conquer-type games.

Yet Starcraft is getting old and it's odd that there has been no proper sequel, when Warcraft and other games have spawned offspring.

13. Boutros-Boutros

Boutros-Boutros Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 5, 2001
    It isn't unusual at all for Warcraft and Diablo to have sequels before Starcraft, or for Ghost to be developed first. Blizzard's recent development history looks like this:

Blizzard Team 1:
    Warcraft
    Warcraft 2: Tides of Darkness
    Beyond the Dark Portal
    Starcraft
    Brood War
    Warcraft 3: Reign of Chaos
    The Frozen Throne
    ???? (possibly Starcraft 2)

Blizzard Team 2:
    World of Warcraft

Nihilistic, followed by Blizzard Team 3?:
    Starcraft Ghost

Blizzard North:
    Diablo
    Diablo 2
    Lord of Destruction
    ???? (possibly Diablo 3)

So the team that made Starcraft was busy with Warcraft 3, and the other games are made by completely seperate development teams.

14. plo_koom

plo_koom Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 26, 2002
    Blizz has promised a SC2.

I really don't know what they were thinking with ghost. Everything about it looks so stupid. Some of the units look so stupid in 3-D, and they really didn't even stick to the same designs.

15. Darth_Iquitous

Darth_Iquitous Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    I'm anxious for StarCraft Ghost, just so I can reimmerse myself in the SC game universe.

Nothing can beat a starcraft sequel, tho...nothing. NOTHING!

16. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    Well if you read som interveiws with blizzard top employee's and they said they will revisit the starcraft universe but never said anything else.

with WC3 all done and SCG about done and WOW comming out in a few weeks....they need to start something else.

IMO i hope that they make it more like the old SC and less like WC3. But heck, i'll take anything.

dkt

17. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    C&C revolutionised the genre

Meh, "Dune II" is still the cornerstone of RTS, in my opinion, but as previously mentioned, how many people still play Command and Conquer nowadays?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.