main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

If the Droid Army was set to fail, why should we care about the Clone Wars?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Cantina_Owner, Nov 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cantina_Owner

Cantina_Owner Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 20, 2003
    Since the Clone Wars is going to be one of the series, I'm hoping this is ok to post here.

I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything, I'm just finding it hard to care about a war where one side was pretty much set up to lose.
    Am I missing something?
    Would Sidious's plan had worked if the droid army won?
    Help a brother out here cause I just don't get it.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Sidious was a master of "Plan B"- very little of his plans worked out how he originally intended and always had fall-back options to get what he wanted. It wasn't until the very end that things went exactly right (well, the Mace and Yoda encounetrs are debatable). I would be more surprised if he didn't have a plan in the event that the droid army somehow overwhelmed the clones by accident.

The Clone Wars are less about which side is going to win- thats been mostly pre-determined from the start. It's about the individual stories set against that tragic backdrop.

3. Rogan_Agar

Rogan_Agar Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2004
    Did you care about the prequels, although you knew how they would end? ;)

Of course you did.

In fact I think that Sidious kept everything in balance. He wanted the war to go on as long as possible, killing as many Jedi as possible.

Most of the battles were even until the very end.

Then the Republic gained ground and started to fight the CIS back into the Outer Rim.

4. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    The way I see it Sidious was controlling both sides, so it doesn't matter who won in the end, he'd still have been victorious. All he really wanted was a new apprentice.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >> Then the Republic gained ground and started to fight the CIS back into the Outer Rim.<<

It's actually more like the CIS retreated into the Outer Rim to draw the Republic forces away from Coruscant.

6. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    Are you sure? From LOE, it appeared that, while Sidious planned the Outer Rim withdrawl, I got the feeling that he didn't plan the attack on Coruscant (at least to occur when it did) until after Dooku suggested he "get away from Coruscant for a while" when the Jedi started closing in on him.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    My impression was that it forced Sidious to initiate the Coruscant assault earlier than planned- he probbaly wanted the Outer Rim Sieges to go on for a bit longer- but that he always intended for the end-game to happen there eventually and was setting up for it.

8. Cantina_Owner

Cantina_Owner Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 20, 2003
    Ok. That's a little more like it.
    This

He wanted the war to go on as long as possible, killing as many Jedi as possible.

and this:
    The way I see it Sidious was controlling both sides, so it doesn't matter who won in the end, he'd still have been victorious. All he really wanted was a new apprentice.

helps a lot more to "care" about all the wars we'll probably be seeing soon.
    Thanks everybody.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.