main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit If the galaxy wants to explore The Unknown Regions why not colonize them more?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Matthew78, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    The Atlas also conveniently refers to ships coming and going from the Unknown Regions and Wild Space to sell their wares at spaceport worlds in the Republic/Empire.

There are worlds mapped and charted and hazardous routes to and from certain systems in the UR, but as a whole, galactic economy manages without heading into those parts all the time. However, AOTC:ICS said the Mining Guild had billions of mining operations on the galaxy's spiral arms, implying all the arms, including the ones going into the UR. But a mining colony could just mean droid-operated ones with slow-hyperdrive freighters leaving for civilized space now and again. No sentient would ever need to set foot on those worlds.

BobaMatt likes this.
  2. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    I always thought that the presence of hyperspace anomalies plus the number of dangerous threats native to the region would make colonization difficult. Especially when the regular known regions get caught up in wars after wars. But anyway, I do like the idea of this corner of the galaxy where there is no law and holds a lot of mystery.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  3. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Actually it just implies more then 1. ;)

4. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000

Backing this up-"sphere of influence" doesn't necessarily mean there's Chiss living normally there any more than Afghanistan being part of either Russia's or England's "sphere of influence" early last century meant there were Russian or English civilians living there. Military forces? Sure. Civilian colonies? Probably not. The Chiss seem more interested in keeping people at arm's length, not expanding per se.

5. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    The quote from AOTC:ICS doesn't restrict their mining to the known regions:
    The speeder was designed for scouts exploring the wastelands of worlds lacking complex native life. Zam acquired hers on one of the billions of anonymous, young, high-metallicity planets dominated by the resource-hungry Mining Guild in the galaxy’s spiral arms.
    We know of many uninhabited worlds simply used for resource-gathering and processing in canon. In fact, The Unknown Regions Campaign Guide outright states that corporations in the Republic/Empire launch private enterprises to travel into the UR, taking all the risks themselves in order to gain even more resources.

The book even states that as far back as the Old Republic era, there were scouting expeditions launched by both the Republic and non-government corporations regularly. Again, the Atlas has freighters and transports coming and going to worlds in Wild Space and the Unknown Regions, so someone is at least keeping regular contact on the other side, as well.

6. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    The Atlas and TUR CG also happens to have whole colonies and convoys disappearing on regular basis, as well as hyper lanes just vanishing, whilst even something as small as the Senex/Juvexs already includes millions of uninhabited worlds. Even if the Guild just set up shop somewhere down the spiral past Gamorr they would already be covering those billions of worlds.

Sure interpreted miners have been to the Unknown Regions and even have set up colonies there, if the hyperlane is stable and the colony endures, it will became Wild Space, if it becomes part of the wider galaxy and part of the central government in some form, it will be part of the Outer Rim (Bespin and surround are a perfect example). If they fail it will just be another missing expedition to the Unknown Regions, likely to never be seen again.

Btw. things coming and going from Wild Space is what makes it Wild Space ;) and if traders from or to the the Unknown Regions get regular trade going it will become Wild Space, if not, they were were likely never seen or heard from again.

7. Kashuula Korulanlaa

Kashuula Korulanlaa Jedi Master star 2

Jan 18, 2016
    the holomap from the movie
    [​IMG]
    once i have SWTFA on youtube (i preordered it) i will upload the HD holomap
    Note: look at all the planet in the UR!=D=

8. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    I did notice a lot of Aurebesh on the map in the film, hopefully it'll turn out to have more entries than the version in the VD did. :)

Btw, since the map was from the pre-ANH era, that makes for a lot of named systems in the UR. Which would work even if the majority of exploration used to be by telescopes.

Kashuula Korulanlaa likes this.
  9. Kashuula Korulanlaa

Jan 18, 2016
    well yes but most of all the planets in the Ur are From the Legends Universe, and there are only three system in the UR of the Canon Universe (Ilum, Rakata Prime, and The StarKiller Base system

10. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    I always thought it was as simple as "exploring the galaxy has been a slow process, and the Unknown Regions are the parts they haven't gotten to yet."

I mean, 500 years or so before the movies, the Corporate Sector was an unknown region too, IIRC. Then they created the CSA to explore and develop it. Eventually, I'm sure they'd have gotten to everything, but that would've taken millennia.

MercenaryAce and Gamiel like this.
  11. Kashuula Korulanlaa

Jan 18, 2016
  12. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Man, those tiny unclickable pictures are frustrating.

Anyway, I also sort of think "Unknown Region" is a name that has stuck, even as people have gotten, to, er, Know those Regions a little better.

Sarge and dekaneas like this.
  13. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Kind of like the (West) Indies/(Native American) Indian terms. Or "Greenland". I bet there are a bunch of real world examples of those types of misnomers sticking.

14. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    A picture for ants?

CT-867-5309 and dekaneas like this.
  15. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    There are known unknown regions, and there are unknown unknown regions.

16. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Also colonial terms. "Old World" vs "New World."

Iron_lord and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    UR is probably a bit like Africa in the 19th-centery, the coast and main rivers are mostly mapped but what is in beyond that is practically unknown for the Europeans.

Iron_lord and Tzizvvt78 like this.
  18. Kashuula Korulanlaa

Jan 18, 2016
    the image size is format is really messed up, it's suppost to be 10 times bigger
    here is a link to it http://i.imgur.com/DcDiKC7.jpg
    thanks

VVVVV this image is sopposted to be 5000 pixels by 5000 pixels (7.4 MB)
    go to link
    http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/snakra/images/9/91/DcDiKC7.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20160525150112

19. GoingInside

GoingInside Jedi Master star 1

Mar 31, 2013
    Those were regions were actually fully mapped by the brilliant stellar cartographer Nellem Unknown, and he named them after himself.

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

With him following up on the work of the cartographer Wild, who named Wild Space. :D

21. GoingInside

GoingInside Jedi Master star 1

Mar 31, 2013

Not to mention Frederick "Deep Core" Harriman, who - of course - named the Outer Rim.

Iron_lord likes this.
  22. Kashuula Korulanlaa

Jan 18, 2016
  23. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Thanks! I'm wondering, are those names you've written, translated from the Aurebesh in the film?

24. Kashuula Korulanlaa

Jan 18, 2016
    yes and it's so painstakingly illegible to figure out the letters in Aurebesh, it took me days to read them by watching the part in the movie with the maps, and then i would go on to Wookieepedia, to see if their name after or already exist, and then pinpoint them with map from The Essential Atlas which I am still doing (i pinpoint them by exact XYZ coordinates) for example Ahch-To (first Jedi temple From SWTFA) XYZ is -465.00=X +050.00=Y And circa.1/5 off the Galactic Plane to the upper top of the Galactic Disc=Z
    but it's amazing what detail the map has [face_thinking] [face_waiting] [face_dancing]

Sarge and Tzizvvt78 like this.
  25. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Glad to hear it, and it's fun to see the nod to TOR with Zakuul and to the Ssi-ruuk with Lwhekk.

Kashuula Korulanlaa likes this.