main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga If the Prequels were made first

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by D-Ludicrous, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    @Darth_Nub

Great post.
    On thing that could be added.
    In the ANH film, Luke never mentions his mother, he doesn't ask Obi-Wan or Owen about her.
    Since Obi-Wan obviously knew Luke's father well, it would stand to reason that he would know his wife.

So maybe, Luke lived with his mother until she died. This could have been at the Homestead or elsewhere.
    Say that she died when he was 10-12. So he knows and remembers his mother. So no reason to ask about her. But he doesn't know his father, hence why he jumps at any mention of him. In this scenario, Luke's mother also didn't tell him much about his father fo some reason.

Obviously in RotJ this was not the case as Luke had no memory at all of her. But in light of that retcon, why didn't he ask Obi-Wan about her?
    He knows nothing about either of his parents and yet he only asks about his father.

Just a thought.

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface

2. Thom Skywalker

Thom Skywalker Jedi Master star 1

Dec 1, 2014

There are lots of cases where an older actor had played a younger role...
    A healthy person in his 30s may look younger...
    The interval between each movie could have taken less than 3 years...

But, ok... You may cast another actor...

3. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    That does come up now and then - yes, it does fit that Luke wouldn't ask about his mother if he already knew, particularly if the Second Draft backstory was still in place (I believe that technically it was at that stage, simply because GL hadn't gone any further, and nothing contradicts it until ROTJ).

Luke doesn't actually 'ask' Obi-Wan about his father in ROTJ in the same way, although he does challenge him with what he'd originally been told - "You told me Darth Vader betrayed and murdered my father". That's first and foremost on his mind, establishing the truth.
    Obi-Wan then explains what happened to Anakin, reveals that Leia is Luke's sister - and in the script, he continues with the story of what happened to Luke's mother without being prompted. Luke didn't fail to ask about his mother in ROTJ, he didn't have to. Unfortunately, as the dialogue was cut (it's pretty lengthy exposition), there's a hole where an explanation about Mother Skywalker should be, and with a twin sister involved, the idea that Luke knew about his mother at the time of SW/ANH doesn't work anymore.

Now that I think about it, Luke doesn't ask Obi-Wan anything about his father in SW/ANH until after Obi-Wan volunteers a story completely different to what he'd been told before ("How did my father die?").
    There's not necessarily any reason for Luke to ask about his mother, as Obi-Wan doesn't mention her, and at that stage, what Luke had been told about her might have been close enough to the truth, the only real difference being that she was the widow of a Jedi Knight, rather than the widow of a navigator on a spice freighter.

4. Jangounchained1990

Jangounchained1990 Jedi Knight star 2

May 31, 2015
    This might have happened.

5. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    Great post.

Boba is a jerk in OT, but it is okay for the fans. Now if Anakin is a jerk in PT this is not cool.

mes520 likes this.
  6. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    definitely would be more double-bladed sabers and more General Grievous-esque characters lol

Jo Lucas likes this.
  7. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Luke would get a text from Han saying, "Our hyperdrive broke. Can you give us a ride?"

8. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    If the OT was made from 99-05, I think thinks would end up being a lot like the McQuarrie concept designs (more in regard to ANH). CGI would ensure that budget/technology limitations wouldn't leave much to be rewritten and simplified. It would definitely have a wider scale to it, and reference a lot more events of the past/future, since the series was already on a roll. Because of the technology allowed for ANH, the rest of the trilogy would likely be starkly different.

The prequels are harder to predict. Obviously, TPM would be the most changed. It would be a little more dialogue heavy, and many action-heavy sequences would be removed-reworked. Though the locations would be relatively easy with the swamps/city of Naboo, and the dessert of Tatooine. The interior of the Trade Federation battleship would require a soundstage, not unlike the blockade runner. The Coruscant scenes would have to be changed drastically. Assuming that history would repeat in that the sequels would be allowed a greater budget and have more advanced technology at its disposal, I'd expect AOTC and ROTS to be much the same. The biggest CGI elements here were probably droids, so I'd just expect that to be replaced by costumed actors.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  9. Droid_Rage

Droid_Rage Jedi Youngling

Oct 4, 2015
    Just one question.... Would the writers still have Leia kiss Luke?

Jangounchained1990 likes this.
  10. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Not directly related to the topic of this thread, but I'm glad that technological concerns caused Lucas to produce Star Wars in this order. If it had been produced in the natural order, I think the production team would not have thought "Let's make a film where the audience can jump in at Episode IV and have a story that can stand alone", and therefore we would not get the tight, cohesive story that is the OT. Certainly continuity would be better, but it's unclear that the storytelling itself would have been better, and I think the small continuity problems one sees as a result of filming in an order that is not the natural order are a small price to pay for what was gained in terms of storytelling.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  11. Darth DoJ

Darth DoJ Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 13, 2016
    According to Hamill, they planned to make episode 3 between the release of ep 5 and filming ep 6. That would have been weird.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  12. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

Wow! That's a great idea. It would be like the 1992 Wuthering Heights film, which featured Juliette Binoche portraying both Cathy and her daughter.

13. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Where did he say that? I've never heard that before in my life, but I agree that would have been very weird had it transpired.

It would be like if Lucas just filmed the series in Machete order.

14. AshiusX

AshiusX Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 7, 2016
    Then Anakin becoming Vader would become of the greatest twists in cinematic history. I can't imagine the public reaction. But the succeeding films would probably come out much quickly. The public will be clamoring to know what happens next.

15. Darth DoJ

Darth DoJ Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 13, 2016
    There's a thread on this board (in the OT section) about the ESB trailer being restored, the second post in the thread is an interview just before ESB was released and Hamill says that the next film will be episode 3 with an 8 year old Luke... I think this is the video :

MrMojoRisin likes this.
  16. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    If the prequels came out from 1977 to 1983, there would be a lot more practical effects and no CGI, which a lot of OT fans don't like about the prequels. Some difficult action scenes, like others mentioned, would likely be removed, and more real filming locations would have been used. I don't think the dialogue would have been better or worse, and we'd have more sympathy for Vader upon his introduction in ANH, whether the originals (in this case the sequels) came out immediately after the prequels or from 1999-2005) and we'd see Tarkin as too significant. We may have seen cameos from Yoda and Palpatine in ANH, and more references to prequel elements.

Actors like Ian McDiarmid, Peter Mayhew, Anthony Daniels, and Kenny Baker could reprise their roles in the later films, as well as whoever would play Obi Wan and possibly Anakin

PCCViking likes this.
  17. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I think Vader would not be as menacing a character and thus less interesting. You'd need a much stronger ROTS in order to keep the saga going. There would have to be a moment where you'd expect Vader to be lost to evil forever.

18. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

To do that, they would show him on screen either killing the younglings or not releasing Padme from the Force choke, forcing Obi-Wan to intervene physically to stop his assault on her.

19. SithLord28273

SithLord28273 Jedi Youngling

Sep 22, 2016
    Good question. I think it maybe different like the PT would have been better and the OT still would be great too. I always wondered this myself at times.

20. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    I think that more prequel characters would've made it into the OT. A lot of them were killed off for simply not appearing in the OT. It's likely Padmé, the Senate, Yoda, and Palpatine would have a much bigger role in the OT.

If you're talking about whether or not the prequels were made in 1977, then Coruscant may not have appeared due to the tech and the story might be completely different. If they were made from 1999-2014 starting with Episode I, then the OT would have much better visual effects and of course, different actors.