main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST If the ST story was created by George Lucas, will the ST be an original plot or like ep. 1-6?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Blazer-Smith, Mar 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blazer-Smith

Blazer-Smith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 28, 2004
    As I get older, I find sequel movies to be a little less interesting than I did when I was young. I believe the ST was outlined by George Lucas. Will it be an original idea that surprises us or will it be familiar? This is not about the environment we will see on film. It's a matter of storyline. Will this be very original?

My hope is that we get an incredible story that keeps us on our toes, unable to guess the ending.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Maybe if you define "original" a little more clearly, I might be able to offer an opinion. Remember, this is episode 7 of a continuing Saga. That means there's going to be come kind of consistency with 1-6. Some hope for a lot of connection, others don't. Are you saying you want an E7 that is more like a brand new Saga?

Darth_Articulate and Dak Oolron like this.
  3. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    It's already been stated several times that it will continue the story that I-VI gave us, and will be the end of the Skywalker Saga (though not necessarily the Star Wars Saga itself)
    Considering George's involvement, which is highly likely to be much more than we're informed of, I expect a fairly uniform 9 part saga

4. Blazer-Smith

Oct 28, 2004
    By original, will there be true surprises or a story that you can't easily guess after a 20 minute introduction? At the end, I personally would like a "Sixth Sense" moment where you say "I didn't see that coming."

5. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    M Night for Episode VIII director

6. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    George Lucas is the Master Storyteller.

I love his ability to create worlds and characters. Utterly amazing.

He's made us accept and love names like "Obi-Wan Kenobi", "Qui-Gon Jinn", and "Watto" and characters like Admiral Ackbar and Jar J..you get the point. I think it would be a continuation of the Skywalker saga with echoes of the previous two trilogies (Sith vs Jedi against the backdrop of a rebellion of some sorts). Don't forget, JJ Abrams/Arndt/Kasdan rewrites are built on the backbone of his story arc.

7. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    I think Ep7 (and the ST in general) will only barely be based on Lucas' original treatments, if at all, by this point. I always got the sense that the news of Arndt' departure was one of those 'read between the lines' moments that basically meant this was now entirely in JJ Abrams' hands, and that you could forget about Lucas' involvement. Hopefully I'm wrong, because I don't think it would feel like Star Wars without Lucas' input in regard to the story. As much as people complain about Lucas as a director of actors, he's still brilliant on a macro level; a true universe creator.

8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Thing is, aren't both Kasdan and Abrams actually friends with Lucas? I'm sure they didn't just abandon Lucas' outline, as that could be construed as a breach of trust between friends. Changed some things around, no doubt, but probably always with Lucas' consent.

People seem to be making such a big deal over these re-writes. You do know they happen literally all the time in the movie business?
    See Dark Horse's The Star Wars series as a good example of this.

9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I doubt Arndt getting bounced also means the Lucas went with him. I do, however, get the sense that his story may have been changed but I also guess Lucas was involved in some of the changes. I highly doubt they just flat-out tossed everything that had Lucas' idea imprinted on it. In a very vague sense, this will most likely be George Lucas sanctioned/overseen major beats / story structure.

10. NoChesterHester

NoChesterHester Jedi Master star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    There is also the rumor that they haven't parted ways at all... That he is working on Ep 8 now.

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/michael-arndt-working-star-wars-8-033400507.html

11. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    The rumors, which seem to have been accurate about the Arndt/JJ disagreement, and even the news about it, all seem to agree that the story didn't really fundamentally change, but what changed was an emphasis on certain characters.

We've even heard Arndt may be working on E8 right now, so I think Lucas's vision is still being realized.

12. Blazer-Smith

Oct 28, 2004
    Not to prequel bash, but the PT isn't exactly an original story. It's more fill in the gaps. No suprises. Not much that we couldn't see coming by the half way through TPM. Sure there were a few details we discovered, but we never got a "No, I'm your father" moment.

propeller and whostheBossk like this.
  13. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Nothing could ever quite top the "I am your father" moment... in terms of surprise... and I think Lucas was wise not to try. It would have looked cheap (IMHO). However, I think Anakin being an immaculate conception and the idea that he was either created by the force directly, or by the Sith indirectly (which one is still in dispute), as 'the Chosen One' is a fairly considerable shift in Star Wars lore. Also, that Anakin turned to the darkside out of fear of losing his wife (rather than just being a not very nice guy) was another 'biggy' for me... and of course that Stormtroopers (or as they were Clonetroopers) were clones of Boba's father, and were on the side of the Jedi was quite sizeable. :)

14. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I do not think that means what you think it does. Immaculate conception refers to Catholic dogma regarding the Virgin Mary and not Jesus' conception/birth.

Virgin birth is the term you're looking for.

Immortiss and Darkslayer like this.
  15. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Yep - 'Miraculous Birth' is probably a more apt term for Anakin given the quasi-religious significance.

16. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    We'll since he is a Sith science experiment ;) , I'm not sure "Miraculous Birth" is apt either. "Unconventional Conception/Birth" maybe.

Darth PJ likes this.
  17. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    If not known by general viewing audiences, one of the big surprise/reveals in the ST could be that Anakin was indeed created by someone. Whether it washes away the intrigue and mystique or simply makes us hate the villain even more, it would fit into the surprise of Luke being Anakin's son in the first place.

But again, that is for those who know nothing or very little about the EU, which will be most of the viewing audience whether people here want to believe it or not.

T-R- likes this.
  18. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Ha - That's even better... :)

T-R- likes this.
  19. MillionthVoice

MillionthVoice Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Not to prequel gush, but I couldn't possibly disagree more. If you disregard the fact that certain story items were known in advance (and by the way, previously known is in no way whatsoever synonymous with unoriginal) the prequel trilogy deals with subtle power plays, the limits of democracy and some personal issues that, regardless of whether they were dealt with in the best way imaginable, are not your everyday Hollywood fare. And there are surprises there, it's only that we were spoiled a few years before going into the theater.

20. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I disagree. I think we got it during the opera scene of RotS. It wasn't as dramatic or as straighforward, but it was there. I remember sitting in the theater for the midnight showing, and as soon as Palpatine delivered his dialogue there were a few gasps and people started to whisper to each all around the theater.

Let's be honest, how many movies actually have an "I am your Father moment"? Not many.

21. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    ^This

I want to see the Behind the Scenes of Episode VII almost as much as the movie. LOL. The TPM Behind the Scenes featurette remains the best I've ever seen.

22. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014

Which one is that?

23. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I think "Test Tube Baby" is the term. :cool:

24. Blazer-Smith

Oct 28, 2004
    True. But we all knew going into TPM that Ani was a pilot then jedi that went bad because he follows the emperor. We knew he becomes Vader. We knew the Jedi were going to die and Obi and Yoda were the only survivors. It was obvious by the middle of TPM that Palpy was going to consolidate power. We knew there was a clone war coming.

Not much original to the story if you know that.

Are we going to be 30 minutes into Ep 7 and see a predictable story pattern play out? I personally would enjoy a surprise.

25. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I'm guessing that would be "The Beginning". Great documentary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.