main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST If the ST story was created by George Lucas, will the ST be an original plot or like ep. 1-6?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Blazer-Smith, Mar 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    The Beginning and Empire of Dreams are two of my favorite behind the scenes documentaries. A shame Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith never got that sort of BTS treatment.

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah, there's that "In a moment" Ep. 3 doc which kinda-almost-gets close but they basically just go over the same bit. "Beginning" and "Empire of Dreams" are next level BTS docs. They're basically behind-the-scenes complete features. I completely forget the Ep. 2 doc, which is a shame.

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Episode 7 will continue the story from 1-6.

4. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I guess that's why they call it "Episode 7" :eek:

5. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Several weeks ago was trying to convince me it was going to go the route of the Star Trek movies. 1, 2-4 as own arc, 5 and 6 doing their own thing. :rolleyes:.

6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I didn't care for In a Moment that much to be honest. It was interesting, but purely technical. Same goes for the Episode 2 one, From Puppets to Pixels. Very interesting (more so than In a Moment), but not even on the same level as The Beginning.
    Yes, and they will totally recast the Big Three too! [face_sigh]

7. Blazer-Smith

Blazer-Smith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 28, 2004
    how do you continue a story that wrapped up? Save the galaxy again? If that's as original as the ST gets I will probably be in for a disappointment. But they'll still get my money :D

dolphin likes this.
  8. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999

49% of me wants to see the story end with ROTJ where the story was perfectly wrapped up with a neat bow. 51% wants to see what an Episode 7 would be like. :D

9. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The Jedi Order isn't fully reborn yet. Nor is the Republic. We have room to do a lot.

T-R- likes this.
  10. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    AOTC had two... From Puppets to Pixels: Digital Characters in Episode II, and State of the Art: The Previsualization of Episode II. They were both quite good really, and I like that they wanted to cover different territory for all the different docs, but I do agree that none of them quite reached the heights of The Beginning and Empire of Dreams.

BigAl6ft6 and Visivious Drakarn like this.
  11. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I think the OT was wrapped up really well. I think the PT opened it up again. I feel like a broken record, but Darth Plagueis, Midi-Chlorians, Qui-Gon Jinn, Immortality, the Netherworld, Science vs. Faith, Unnatural vs. Natural abilities, the Prophecy, the Chosen One, Sifo-Dyas...I don't remember any of these characters or themes being resolved in the OT. In fact, I don't remember the GFFA being saved. It was inferred, but since there is now a ST that can no longer be taken as gospel. I do recall that Anakin Skywalker was redeemed, in part by his son, who destroyed (as far as we know) Emperor Palpatine, who in fact is Darth Sidious, and fulfilled the Prophecy of the Chosen One, which may or may not have been misread. We still don't know the answer for certain. One of the beautiful things about the story. It's left to the individual.

As we can see, thanks to the writer of the PT, there is much to resolve. I think it will be an original story. I recall many here who felt that the PT story would be about The Clone Wars. It wasn't. Some of what we had heard since 1980 were present in the story. Other aspects completely surprised me. The Prophecy, The Chosen One and Midichlorians being just a few. Whether you care for them makes little difference to the PT's original content. I would rather the artist have free reign over their creation, than inhibit him/it with 'a chorus of disapproval', by many who believe they comprehend the story better than the storyteller. If you don't like the PT, then just forget it and watch the OT. If the PT informs plot themes in the ST, which I think it will invariably, then I hope it does so in a manner that allows you to appreciate the PT all the more.

Just one thing: I think midichlorians, derided by so many, is in fact the key to the continuation of the story. We've learned that they are natural symbionts, communicating the Will of the Force to the Jedi. For mutual advantage. The Sith manipulate them, unnaturally, to their singular advantage. How this happens has yet to be told.

12. run_luke_run

run_luke_run Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2004
    I agree.

There's a natural human tendency to ponder where we come from. Some of us know very well where we come from and have a rich understanding of our ancestors and our roots. For others it's a mystery; either with secrets that are purposely locked away by older generations, frayed relationships, or simply by having no family historian or good record keeping.

Regardless, I think this is a universal desire; to understand and explore one's origins.

Given the menacing past the Anakin had as Darth Vader, which is more than likely still having powerful emotional, political, and familial impacts in Luke's present, I think it only natural that he will have a desire to explore his father's, and therefore his own roots.

Who was his mother? What was his mother's and father's relationship like? Who knew them as a loving couple? How did she die, exactly? And (drumroll)...

Just where did my father come from? These all seem like natural questions that would leave a burning hole in one's soul. And I'm also not so sure Luke would take whatever ghost Yoda, Obi-Wan, or anyone else would tell him. After all, they seem to speak in riddle-like fashion, and always from a "certain point of view"...I think he will want to find the answers to these questions for himself.

Personally, I hope this is one place the ST goes. Like Immortiss stated, the story is left up to the individual, and many of us have different ideas about this topic, but I for one want to see Luke (or others) go on a journey to explore the answer to these questions.

13. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    I think VII is going to be original (for good or bad), and somewhat of a departure from what has come before. Though, as Immortiss has stated, there are many plot lines that could be developed from the PT era; though all of these will not necessarily be delved into. Another drawback to making TCW and Rebels "canon", is that long standing answers to film questions can be summed up in a side cartoon; as opposed to the main narrative. To each his own. Overall, yes, VII will be part of the saga. Just not in the way many are hoping IMO.

14. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    That's funny, because I saw a commercial yesterday for a service that uses DNA to uncover ancestry and it occurred to me that I couldn't care less who my ancestors were. I'm me and that's all I need to know, so I wouldn't say it's a universal desire.

Alpha-Red and Blazer-Smith like this.
  15. run_luke_run

run_luke_run Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2004
    Well you're weird.

;)

Mystery Roach and Blazer-Smith like this.
  16. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Interestingly, it seems like Lucas might have hashed everything out already. This interview with his son Jett makes it pretty clear that he started writing before Star Wars was sold to Disney and since Jett himself already knows what is going to happen, I'm guessing Lucas has already pretty clearly laid everything out. It's basically going to be about a new generation so I would hope that it will be an original plot.

17. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002

This could open up a whole new direction and a thirst for knowing more that would make all the future episodes very interesting. I would be in favor of this as it would make sense Luke would go on a journey to find out where his father originated from. This will explore pieces of what we have learned from Mortis episodes from TCW which I need to go back and watch. Also, just more of an understanding of the force and how it works will leave us wanting more. I feel this is a great idea and also believe it will be explored in the future episodes.

18. propeller

propeller Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 4, 2014
    I genuinely think that Lucas's involvement in these films is going to be very small (I don't believe for one minute that he had any coherent plan for another trilogy up his sleeve; maybe a few vague notions, sure, but three treatments?) - let's not forget that he sold the franchise to Disney and therefore no longer has creative control or any say in how the plot develops. If JJ watches the edit and decides to cut a character, that's up to him! Disney is looking to create a long-term cash cow, and that means new characters and a new, malleable universe, free of the constraints of the EU and possibly even free of a few of the constraints the prequels introduced.

Maybe a few vague ideas will make it into the new films, but the vision is that of different directors and a different group of writers.

Blazer-Smith likes this.
  19. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Well, wether the story is original or not? We already know one thing for certain. The story of I-VI has already been retconned. The Sith are back

20. MakingStarWars

MakingStarWars Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 2008
    I've seen a set of concept art from before Abrams was aboard and probably slightly before the Disney buy out. It appears Lucas' work was foundational. But things like BB-8 were just a droid. Not a ball droid. In fact, the first attempt at BB-8 he was a box droid that looked like something out of Wall-E. It seems to me the gist of it is from Lucas but the important extrapolation came later on. I am curious to learn officially what his contribution was.

21. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Well the OT was retconned to include the Sith who weren't in the story in the first place or Anakin as the Chosen One and well just about everything in one way or another just like the end ofANH the Empire which would fall apart after the Death Star was destroyed.

In fact TESB retconned ANH and ROTJ further retconned both of them.

Anakin did destroy the Sith who were at the time himself and Sidious. So what he did was true from a certain point of view. He destroyed the Sith as they were comprised then and ended the threat to the balance of the Force as it was then.

Yes that is what he spent possibly as many as several years on. Rumours of Lucasfilm doing VII-IX in more recent years like in 2010:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/47173

While watching and tweeting, someone mentioned the below IESB story about a 3rd STAR WARS Trilogy, to be delivered after the 3D STAR WARS re-releases. This is not new. This has ALWAYS been George's plan. Remember last year at this time of the year? Every source I have at Lucasfilm has continually stated that the plan is to do a third STAR WARS trilogy taking place after RETURN OF THE JEDI. But you have to realize - that talking about it, is going to make it miserable waiting for. It is DOWN THE ROAD. The only time it'll be truly exciting to talk about, is when sets officially get built, when Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford & Mark Hamill get signed to come back, and it is for real. Right now, it is just a plan. A far off plan - and plans can and do change, but it will happen when George is ready.

Let us not forget he gave them treatments for a ST. He placed all of the pieces into place before he left. After he sold it he still was involved in story conferences and the script stage which was already in drafted forms. Let us not forget that Star Wars movies are George Lucas movies which means that to make a ST they will have to look, feel, sound and come off like Star Wars movies. Not LOTR or TREK or Matrix or Hunger Games movies.

Of course it is. That is not what we are talking about though. Lucas' involvment was in the foundational stage both in terms of the decades of making I-VI and the basic plan for the ST and other films like Han Solo, Boba Fett etc.

Don't know what constraints the PT introduced but as stated over and over again the movies and TCW from George are canon and will be adhered to as will the additonal movies, TV series, books and comics. It's going to be a unified universe like the Marvel but to include everything.

Don't know what you consider vague. A story with Luke, Leia, Han and the old familars, a new generation and the state of the galaxy and the like is hardly vague. What it does is give them exactly what we think he have them. A solid starting point from which to work.

The million details of how it all comes together is up to them.

Andy Wylde and Immortiss like this.
  22. Blazer-Smith

Blazer-Smith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 28, 2004
    We will probably never know. Fingers crossed the plot is not just a re-hash of ep.IV-VI.

23. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    Link?

Is there confirmation of this?

24. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I hope you are right. This is Disneys baby, have faith they may be able to tell great Star Wars tales. George is retired. Good for him.

25. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014

It's so candid for an official behind the scenes doc.

[​IMG]

TX-20, BigAl6ft6 and dolphin like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.