main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC If there is a God, then why is there evil and suffering?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    IF there is a God, then
    1. why is there human-caused suffering? why is there evil? (examples: murder, rape, wars, burglaries, vandalism, car accidents, persecution, etc.)

Because God completely respects our free will. Obviously he would be much happier if we didn't do so much evil stuff, but he's not going to force us into doing good, because that would essentially destroy our free will. God doesn't want the humanity to be a bunch of puppets who, while good, don't have free will. It's our choice entirely whether we do good or evil.

2. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    It does not follow from the assumption of an intelligent, self-aware universe creator that it is interested in how we treat each other or what happens to us.

3. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Yet, looking at some of the people running around these days, one should think that teaching basic morals, etiquette and social behavior in schools would improve the state of society. Of course those would differ from country to country.

I also don't like how God is linked to moral. God is probably the most amoral fictional character there is.
    Why do religious preachers/ leaders love to claim that belief is the moral fabric of our society?
    Separation of church and state? Start at separation of church and moral 101.

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    This. Religious ≠ good. Not always at least.

Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  5. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    Just to throw a monkey wrench into the works, exactly how is perfect divine foreknowledge (knowledge of past, present, and future all as one) compatible with human free will (the idea that the future is not set, but is dependent on our decisions)? How is this not simply the *appearance* of free will to us, rather than genuine free will?

6. imiller

imiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    I believe most classical Christian (and to some extent other, similar monotheistic religious traditions) theologians have this "bigger picture" type of answer in their theodicy (answer to the problem of God and evil). However, some splinter traditions (Pelagians, Open Theists, etc) take at least one if not more planks out of the "omnipotent, omniscient, and omnibenevolent" platform of God, and replace it with a stronger emphasis on free will.

Which, actually, could be viewed as a different kind of "bigger picture" - the importance of individual choice.

Just putting some thoughts in, not necessarily advocating them.

MASTERPRENN likes this.
  7. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    That is kind of the question. It all depends on what you take as the primary - is omniscience primary, or is individual autonomy primary? Quite a few theological groups have posited that there is some kind of synthesis of the two involving some kind of mystery.

And then there's the radical philosophical libertarians (not political) who prioritize free will over all, and the determinists, who prioritize foreknowledge and power over all.

8. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Lots of 'assuming free will exists' in this thread

9. GargantuanThrillMachine

GargantuanThrillMachine Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2012
    i can see lord_vivec's point to a degree. when all of your possible options have already been determined, freedom is irrelevant. but, does this imply free will, as well?

10. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Well what does science show us? How can we even know if it does or does not?

I'm a deist/borderline agnostic so if there is a creator, I'm not sure the creator would have to stop evil from occurring or bad things from happening.

Maybe in the larger scale of things, a creator capable of creating something as vast as the cosmos, bad stuff happening to us isn't that bad in universal context?

So it's really kind of silly to blame "God" in that respect.

11. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Why is it irrelevant? The motivations and actions are both there, and both still have weight.

12. GargantuanThrillMachine

Sep 7, 2012
    there is an element of predetermination that you seem to be neglecting from that line of thinking

13. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Well...cards on the table, I am a hard determinist who still believes that individuals are responsible for their actions, so I posit both some element of "mystery" and some elements of co-determinism, where an external determination can be paralleled by self-determination.

14. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    As far as an all-knowing God having foreknowledge as it relates to free will, look at it this way. If a parent knows their child well enough to know what he’ll do or say in a given situation, does that mean that the child doesn’t have free will? Similarly, I’d say that God knows what we’ll do, even if we don’t.

Regarding tests & suffering, I’ll offer something I recently found by Abdu’l-Baha, Perfect Exemplar of the Baha’i Faith:

Again going back my own experiences as a parent as an example. When he was 6 or 7 years old, my son once bragged about what he’d do if a kidnapper tried to take him. In response, my wife grabbed him and held him motionless, and said “what’re you gonna do now? I’m just a girl, and I’m not even trying to snatch you away.” My son had an over-inflated assessment of his own abilities, and my wife showed him what’s what. I’m sure he suffered some embarrassment, but he was a lot more cautious after that.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  15. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Schopenhauer had the right of it.

16. GargantuanThrillMachine

Sep 7, 2012

yes. you are responsible for your choices amongst the predetermined. but you aren't free to do whatever it is you want.

17. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Actually, I think all we ever do is what we want - we never act contrary to our desires, which is where I think responsibility comes in. We aren't free to do anything at all - we are finite beings, after all - so I can't, for example, fly, even though I want to, but I can buy a plane ticket, if that's what I want.

18. Quixotic-Sith

Jun 22, 2001
    I'm pretty familiar with all of this, being a philosophy professor and all. I raised the question to poke the bear. ;)

EDIT:

Merk, that analogy doesn't really work - your understanding of your kid isn't the same theological claim that is being raised about perfect divine foreknowledge. The model is much more akin to God watching the The Matrix again - he knows the outcome of every "choice" Neo makes because he's seen the movie, and the movie does not change, but Neo believes that his choices are up to him. Neo believes he possesses free will (i.e., he is experiencing the *appearance* of choice), but can not do anything other than what God knows we will do. Perfect divine foreknowledge appears to constrain human agency to only the decision path God knows (this is the example I use when I teach the Philosophy of Religion in my Introduction to Philosophy courses).

19. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    If someone says “you don’t know what 2+2 is” you could just say “yeah I know”. But if you say “2+2 is 4” then you don’t have to prove yourself to that person or anyone who witnessed you giving that answer ever again.
    When God created all life in the heavens (angels) and on Earth (humans) he gave them free will. Even though Adam and Eve were perfect they decided when given a choice to disobey God.
    The reason why there is suffering on Earth is because Satan brought up a challenge that humans could govern themselves without needing God. God could just of said “Of course they need me. I created them and I know what’s best for humans.” But by allowing Satan to ‘try’ to prove his point, God will prove him a liar. And we have all seen it. No government/kingdom on Earth has brought about peace. Egypt, Babylon, Greece, Rome, United States and so forth have not solved man’s problems. There is still wars, hunger, crimes, ect… going on that none of these government’s have fixed.
    So God has allowed allll this time to take place to prove Satan a liar and to show every living being (Angels, fallen angels aka Demons, humans) that we need God to rule… not us… and not have Satan around.
    Gods time to step in is soon. He gives us this promise at Danial 2:44 “And in the days of those kings (kingdoms on Earth or Goverments on Earth) the God of heaven will set up a kingdom (His Kingdom) that will never be brought to ruin. And the kingdom itself will not be passed on to any other people. It will crush and put an end to all these kingdoms (Human Goverments), and it itself will stand to times indefinite.”
    Once God does that, and Humans are under his rulership. Never again will God have to prove he is the Supreme ruler. Even if an Angel thousands of years from now says “Hey I can rule humans better then you” God will never have to prove that again. It’s being proved now for time indefinite. So Satan will be removed and humans will no longer be ruling themselves. Then humans will live forever under peace under his rulership.

Many people view God as the ‘bad guy’ but that is the furthest from the truth.

Legacy Jedi Endordude likes this.
  20. Quixotic-Sith

Jun 22, 2001
    Or, you know, none of that, since we're talking about faith claims. :)

EDIT:

And the idea of being given free will is a bit of a fiat and theologically inconsistent. Incidentally, do you believe in biblical prophecy? If so, doesn't that necessarily assume a fixed future, which is also incommensurate with genuine human free will?

:)

MASTERPRENN likes this.
  21. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    So how exactly did those experiences happpen? And how can you be certain those visions -- which seem to be colored by traditional images of what "God" and angels should look like - weren't dreams or hallucinations?

22. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    So God has allowed allll this time to take place to prove Satan a liar and to show every living being (Angels, fallen angels aka Demons, humans) that we need God to rule… not us… and not have Satan around.

So, our suffering is just a means to god showing up a guy? Sounds like god's a jerk.

Ender_Sai and MASTERPRENN like this.
  23. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    I've been trying to find a place to jump into this discussion. But over and over again I'm hit with the realization that I just don't think it matters. And even if it did, I don't think I really care. I know that when I act, most of the time, I am making a conscious decision to perform whatever action I am performing. And I believe that people should be held responsible for the conscious decisions they make, and the consequences of those decisions. But I don't honestly don't care whether the root of that biological process is predetermined or scripted or completely unknown to the universe before I make it. The answer to that question doesn't influence what I think about how the world works, what makes things bad or evil, or god.

harpuah likes this.
  24. Quixotic-Sith

Jun 22, 2001
    T.J. Mawson. "How can I know I've perceived God?" International Journal for Philosophy of Religion. (2005) 57: 105-121. ;)

Clickie

25. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    There is no measurable way to know. You can only say they were what they were but you cannot know "God" created them or sent them to you. You cannot even say for certain what happened at all. Was it a vision? Was it a dream?

We tend to fill in the "unknown" with what we individually believe. But it doesn't make it factual.

26. Quixotic-Sith

Jun 22, 2001
    This actually touches on one of the book proposals I'm writing now. The idea of moral responsibility for choices needs to change - there's just too much neurobiological evidence against what you are arguing.

27. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Can you shoot me some links and reading on that? I'd be really interested exploring that more.