JCC If there is a mod, then why is there spam and trolling?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Obi-Zahn Kenobi, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Obi-Zahn Kenobi Chosen One

star 7
    I have never understood why often spam and trolling happen even when mods are online. A Senate thread was derailed and posts unworthy of the Senate were made, yet a mod joined in!

I will never understand this. It makes you lose faith in the administration.
  2. mrsvos Force Ghost

star 5
  3. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Well, there are two basic ways to look at this.

The first school of thought would say that this indicates mods are not in fact all-knowing and all-powerful, merely more knowledgable and powerful than users. This obviously presents a potentially troubling view of what it even means for a mod to be a mod.

The second school of thought says that, though the mods could edit every post and even prevent us from posting things that are against the TOS in the first place, the mods choose not to. They choose to let us have free will and post what we want to, whether or not it's morally good. In the end, this school of thought contends that if TOS compliance is not observed out of free will, it's not really TOS compliance at all.

Personally, I tend to agree with the second school of thought.
    Last edited by solojones, Jan 24, 2013
  4. Lugija Force Ghost

star 4
    In this thread: Trolls and people who honestly believe that no one has asked this question in the 50 years of the Internet, 130 years of telephones and over 10 000 years of people painting cliffs.
    Point Given likes this.
  5. ophelia Cards Against Humanity Host. Ex-Mod

Game Host
    star 6
    If mods existed, it would be necessary to destroy them.
    V-2 likes this.
  6. JoinTheSchwarz Comms Admin & Community Manager

Administrator
    star 8
    A mod just posted here.

God will never post in the other thread.

Checkmate.
  7. Lugija Force Ghost

star 4
    I still don't believe they exist. Having one of them write here is just anecdotal evidence.
    Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  8. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    Since Moderating is a philosophical idealogy, it is to be expected that a follower of said belief system is who posts on its behalf. You aren't the Mod... simply a faithful servant. It doesn't matter if I never know the truth about the original Mod. You, Daveeed, were called to be the light of the boards.
    Last edited by A Chorus of Disapproval, Jan 24, 2013
    Sarge likes this.
  9. Likewater Force Ghost

star 4
    Because the mod's are farming. The truth is mods feed of misery, pain, and sarcasm....like Darksied but they also can't let chaos reign, so they let a little trollage through so they can lap up your tears and gain enough streangth to moderate.

[IMG]
  10. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
  11. Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA•

star 6
    We have a canon, an Old Forum and a New Forum, fallen bitter ex mods, and frequent "pizza" raptures...So the "Report" button is like prayer request?

I'm sensing a necessary new forum style...I'll go on a pilgrimage for a new banner.
  12. DantheJedi Force Ghost

star 5
    Is this about my posts referencing Aliens' Lt. Vasquez and a Schoolhouse Rock cartoon about suffrage in the Women in Combat thread? 'Cause that's just how I roll.
    Ender_Sai likes this.
  13. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
    To further Daveeed's post; what happens to retired Gods?

Oh wait. Neil Gaiman covered this.

lol @ God.
    Darth_Invidious likes this.
  14. darthhelinith Force Ghost

star 5
  15. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    The Mods ban in mysterious ways.

In the beginning The Owner said "Let there be Theforce.net." And there was Theforce.net.

He saw that the URL was good and separated the forums from the main page.
  16. beezel26 Force Ghost

star 7
    The mod squad stopped banning trouble makers when it appeared the only ones left were the troublemakers who just so happened to be their friends. So don't expect anything to change. The mods are going to support those they like not those being wronged unless its their friends. You might see the mods stick out their necks if we had a larger population in the JC but that shipped sailed long ago. Now they just need people to post so get used to the crude crass behaviour by everyone including exmods and users alike. And if they can't say what they want on here they all go over to Facebook and say whatever they want and the mods join in. When users complain mods just say its not our board.
    Face it, this place lost its luster a long time ago. We are all a bunch of dinosaurs watching the asteroid get closer and closer.
    Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  17. AAAAAH Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    i do crue crass behaviour and i am not friends with any mos and i am somehow still here. what about that.
  18. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Personally, I don't believe in trolls.
  19. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    Mods allow trolls to hang around for the sheer entertainment of other posters.
  20. Fire_Ice_Death Chosen One

star 7
  21. Valairy Scot Chosen One

star 5
    There is only the Force.net.
  22. GenAntilles Force Ghost

star 4
    The mods are infallible. If they do not hear your cries then you must sacrifice a thread to appease them.
    Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  23. Alpha-Red Force Ghost

star 5
    Let's sacrifice the Gun Control thread.
  24. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    I've got one word for you: dysmodism. [face_devil]
  25. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9