main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga IF there was another live action movie made, what would you like to see?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Loupgarou, Sep 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I suppose seeing Yoda younger would be interesting. It would be a nice insight into all the different things he's experienced over the 900 or so years.

Although I don't know if I'd really be in to seeing a movie about a character who looks like this:

[image=http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070707201608/starwars/images/thumb/b/b1/Yaddle9.jpg/250px-Yaddle9.jpg]

Just looks abit...unsettling...to me. Cartoonish...you know?

2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    This sounds completely awesome, although the Dark Lord novel seems to imply that Obi-Wan spent his days following Owen, Beru, and nephew Luke around. :p

3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    When not shooting desperadoes.:p

4. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    They should have cast Eli Wallach as Jango Fett:

[image=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_YcJN5ZAyGRg/SULEikPYENI/AAAAAAAABW0/P0nye8uJ1Cw/s400/tuco_blooooondiiiiie.jpg]

OBI-WAAANNN!!! You know whose son you are? You don't know, everybody knows... You're the son of a thousand fathers, all bastards like you... and your mother, your mother, you - OBI-WAAANNN!!!

Imagine the Army of the Republic being made up of thousands of clones of Tuco...

5. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    [face_laugh] That'd be great.

6. shanerjedi

shanerjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2010
    I think a star wars sequel trilogy needs to tackle the droid question and what it means to be human head on. They would definitely be more philosophical. Maybe 3PO is swept up in some sort of droid rights movement?

But if there was one and only one star wars film that was left to be made I would want it to deal with the beginnings of the republic and the founding of the jedi order.

7. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    This may be controversial but I'd throw out EU and do a prequel (Star Wars: Prologue as I like to call it) that shows the rise of the Sith to dominance in the galaxy, the Jedi's war to free the oppressed worlds, the Sith in fighting that led to the rule of two and finally the formation of the Republic. Not a trilogy, just one 3 hour war movie. It would actually tell two stories. One would be of a Jedi during the war, the other of a Sith Lord. Rather than the 10,000 years of war in the EU, it would be a single conflict between Jedi and Sith a thousand years before TPM.

8. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Interesting choice of words - some notes of GL's in Rinzler's Making Of ESB include a 'prologue' episode as part of a rough outline of the prequels - it would be followed by a 'Clone Wars trilogy' and then an 'epilogue' episode, all set before Star Wars/ANH.

There's not much else about what this outline represented, but considering other comments from 1979 by Gary Kurtz (as well as more recent comments from Kurtz that seem to be a little bit confused) I imagine the prologue would have been about the early days of the Republic and the Jedi. Presumably the history of the Sith would have been touched upon as well.

It's very rough, vague stuff that never came to pass, but it seems that GL had an interest in showing such ancient SW history as far back as 1978/79, and he's also been quoted in the last few years about saying that a film about "the Old, Old Republic" could possibly happen as a one-off. If and when there's another SW feature not connected to either TCW or the live-action TV series, my money's on it being along those lines.

9. MiricaEclipse

MiricaEclipse Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2011
    Something before 3 & 4. I'd like to see a cameo of Luke and Leia, but maybe not focus on them... why not some Jedi who are trying to hide from the Empire? Very little of people like young Han and Leia and Luke, thought maybe a short cameo... I love those guys, but this should be different... I kind of wish it could happen though... [face_batting]

Mirica

10. AricaBolts

AricaBolts Jedi Knight star 1

May 20, 2011
    I'd LOVE to see more of the empire, like more starkiller and more Mara Jade, maybe have Obi-Wan hunted a little, and the rebellion's beginnings!

11. Jedirockstar1138

Jedirockstar1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2011
    the thought of a reboot is an absolute disgrace. And there will never be any more films so forget about it....

12. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    New Jedi Order. I wanna see em fight the Vong.

13. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    Agreed on all examples. "Irregardless" gets under my skin too, but apparently it's acceptable usage now, according to Webster's dictionary.

Others that bug me are "should of", "anyways", "expecially/ expresso" and "like I said". They should be "should have", "anyway", "especially/ espresso", and "as I said".

I could go on and on, but I won't. :)

14. MrFantastic74

Oct 4, 2010
    I don't hate the PT, but I do think it is horribly broken. So, in my opinion, the PT could stand to be fixed, i.e. rebooted. In fact, I would give my left leg for a PT re-do, as long as the reigns are handed over to different writers and directors.

As for the OT... I don't know. I love it so much that I feel it shouldn't be touched, but on the other hand, if it directly follows a PT reboot, and if it is done correctly, it could be made to work. We'd be talking about a reboot twenty years or more from now anyway, and I think the audience at that time would be excited to see a new version of the Adventures of Luke Skywalker. After all, Batman was rebooted with great success, and I happen to think that the latest Star Trek reboot is the greatest thing to ever happen to that franchise.

15. MrFantastic74

Oct 4, 2010
    Agreed. I think most of the EU material is crap. The key is to avoid all the cliches that EU writers continually employ, and to get new blood to write and direct the films. It would not bother me at all if currently accepted EU "cannon" is ignored, as long as the movies are well made/ entertaining.

16. MrFantastic74

Oct 4, 2010
    I would be very interested in new Star Wars movies covering different time periods. "The Old, Old Republic" seems the most interesting to me, but I wouldn't mind seeing material from the "Dark Times" period. I also think reboots could work if done properly.

Also, the Trilogy format is not necessary; single stand-alone films would be acceptable.

I wouldn't mind seeing "non-traditional" films that take a fresh, new approach to SW. For example, they could use a rock score instead of the LSO or do away with the SW logo and text scrawl in the beginning. Don't get me wrong- I love all the traditional SW stuff, but I think a new batch of films could stand to have a new look to make them stand apart.

17. gobalicious

gobalicious Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 30, 2010
    Blasphemy against the good name of John Williams!

In all seriousness, I'd like to see a reboot of the OT and PT. Preferably it would happen 20+ years from now after George has passed and the public has been starved of Star Wars for a while. I wouldn't stretch it out over two trilogies however, just put into two action-packed 3 hour films. This would require some pretty big story changes however. Perhaps there is only one Death Star that is destroyed in the OT film. Anakin would have to start out in adulthood in the PT film. I'd also lose some of the focus on Anakin throughout the PT. Star Wars is more than just a character study of a tragic hero. It also shows the stories of diverse characters in diverse locations.

18. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    Aside from my Star Wars Prologue concept mentioned above, I wouldn't mind seeing something set in the far future. For me the Skywalker Saga ends with Jedi. The Emperor and his heir are killed, the people rise up in celebration in such numbers that the Imperial military has no choice but to sit down and work out a peace deal with the Rebels to restore the Republic and the long conflict between the Jedi and Sith is finally over. The galaxy is at peace. The End. I don't like that EU drags it out for another 20 years and then loads more stories on top of it. I also don't like that the Old Republic era basically turns the Clone and Civil wars into just another conflict in a long line of wars which is why I'd throw it out to do a single film set a thousand years in the past. I mean no disrespect to EU writers or fans, it's just my personal preference.

With that said, a film set far into the future could be interesting. Take "A long time ago in a galaxy far far away" literally and have it so that the Jedi/Sith conflict is ancient history and that the Republic/Empire has long since disappeared. Basically set Star Wars in present day, not on Earth or anything like that, still in the galaxy far far away but with the Skywalker saga being a story within the GFFA that's like the Epic Cycle stories of Homer with some possible basis in fact but for the most part it's myth. The old landmarks like the Jedi Temple and Senate on Coruscant, Jabba's Palace and even the Lars homestead on Tatooine are now ancient ruins, wasted away over time. Have a galaxy that is divided with many hyperspace routes being closed off as more and more worlds look to fend for themselves and become suspicious of aliens and other worlds. Make the galaxy dirty and gritty with no central government, no interstellar law to speak of with some worlds coming together in small factions, fighting with other factions for precious resources but nothing on the scale of a galactic war.

Against that kind of backdrop, bring back the mysticism. The Jedi Order is long gone. The tales of their deeds, their powers seen as gross exaggerations if not made up all together. The Force has long since vanished from the eyes of the galaxy. Take it right back to A New Hope when the Force was this impossible thing that was hard for Luke to understand and have that kind of journey with a new protagonist learning of its existence and potential. Only this time there are no wise old Jedi Knights to guide him. By complete accident he taps into a power that has been lost for thousands of years and he doesn't know of the dangers of the dark side beyond the old stories.

And of course over time it escalates. The Force is brought back into a violent and corrupt galaxy. From there you can go a few ways. You could have a kind of witch hunt where certain groups seek to hunt down and destroy anyone who seems to possess the ability to use the Force and thus prove its existence or you could see the creation of a new Jedi Order dedicated to learning the secrets of the Force that were lost thousands of years before with a mission to unite the galaxy once more, only for some to be corrupted by that power. Or you could have different galactic factions seeking to exploit these new Force users for their own nefarious desires.

In some ways it's a reboot. Not of the Skywalker story, but of the galaxy. The Skywalker story is ancient history and the galaxy is not what it was. So the film (or films) would see a kind of rebirth of the Jedi and a return to the mysticism and mystery that accompanied A New Hope only this time it's not an evil Empire and Sith Lords that provide the obstacles, it's a divided and lawless galaxy.

19. gobalicious

Dec 30, 2010
  20. MrFantastic74

Oct 4, 2010
    I agree with your feelings about the EU, and I also like your concept for a film far into the future of the SW galaxy. Something like this could certainly work, and it wouldn't step on any toes as it wouldn't be a true reboot.

21. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Did people actually suggest reboot? WTF.

Either go far into the past or far into the future. Tales of the Jedi, KOTOR, origins of Yoda, for the past, or far beyond Legacy for the future.

22. MrFantastic74

Oct 4, 2010
    It's not that crazy a concept. I would at least like to see a PT reboot.

23. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I am going to be quite frank, and please understand that I do not DO NOT intend any form of insult to people, but the idea of any sort of reboot of the Star Wars Saga is one of the dumbest ideas that exist on this Earth.

24. gobalicious

Dec 30, 2010
    It would be very dumb to do it now, but a couple decades from now, when the memory of Star Wars has faded, it isn't so dumb.

25. MrFantastic74

Oct 4, 2010
    Personally, I'd rather see something new (that ignores EU material altogether) over a reboot, however...

I'm pretty sure that thousands of fans would love a reboot of the PT. That trilogy could use a complete overhaul from scratch (starting with a complete reworking of the story). If it is done correctly, it could work. It's not my first choice for new SW films, but I have to admit that I would be first in line at the theatre.

I wouldn't want to see a reboot of the OT either (those films are sacred ground to me), but...

I do think that sometime down the line someone will attempt a complete SW saga reboot. It may not be six films. It may be four films, or even two 3-hour films as someone posted above. If it happens, it will be 30 years from now when all that's left of GL is his brain encased in an arachnoid-like robot, and he agrees to allow other parties to take on the project.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.