main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST If there's a female lead... is Disney going after the Hunger Games money/audience?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jedi_Lantern, Oct 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I did read that excellent post and I agree. For the ST I definitely think it's best to keep the central focus on one or two characters. Following that, however, I do think there's more of an opportunity for multiple leads working within a structure similar to Marvel's, where they can have the films concentrating on individual characters leading up to the larger ensemble films.

Immortiss and Dra--- like this.
  2. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I still say that in the OT, though Luke was protagonist, both Leia and Han were "leads," right along with Luke (which is why I sometimes argue when someone decries SW for not having "female leads" in the films, when I tend to think they mean "female protagonists").

3. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I think what we have here is a situation where the definition of protagonist is more definitive than the slightly more vague term of lead, which may be more open to interpretation.

Immortiss, Dra--- and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    So what are we arguing about now? Female protagonist or female lead? Or does it matter?

Immortiss, Ryus and Dra--- like this.
  5. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    No, it shouldn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. More women in SW films is a fine thing. My concern is more about trending characters in the Ahsoka Tano mold, but you and I both know that's nothing to do with her gender. :D

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Ugh, no. If she had a penis and blue skin, she'd be Thrawn in Outbound Flight. I couldn't stand him either.

My response to the RLM complaint about "no clear protagonist" in the prequels was "Who cares?" I'd rather have multiple main characters and I think it's possible to do that and still have full arcs and character development for all of them.

7. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I think it does matter. Being against a female lead is even more extreme than being against a female protagonist. It would amount to arguing that none of the main heroes should be women.

I think what the OP of the thread was against was a female protagonist, like Katniss. She's more than just a lead. The move is her movie, as the book was her book and told through her POV (from what I recall). It's like saying is this Arnold's movie or Stallone's movie; is this Jennifer Lawrence's movie or Angelina Jolie's movie?

Some people feel more uncomfortable with a female protagonist than they do a female lead. Princess Leia's probably a good example. These anti female protagonist people don't mind Leia so much because she's bookended by Luke and Han. No one can say that ANH is Leia's movie the way The Hunger Games is Katniss's movie.

Trebor Sabreon: I think we both understand where we're coming from on this issue better now, and I'm sorry we had a clash over it before. I don't think you are incorrect to refer to some characters as leads although I think of them more, functionally speaking, as supporting characters. To back up your take on it, I was looking over the academy awards nominations. They have awards for male and female leads, as well as male and female supporting characters. I'm just guessing, but they probably look at screen time as the deciding factor whereas I look at function. If you're mainly considering time > function, then I think Carrie Fisher could have been nominated for Best Lead. But if you look at function first, then she plays a supporting character that shares a lot of screen time.

anakinfansince1983:
    It's possible. The big question is time and if you will have enough of it to do them equal justice.

Immortiss and Darth_Pevra like this.
  8. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    [:D]

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Dra--- : My issue is that because The Hunger Games is Katniss' movie, it's impossible to like The Hunger Games unless one likes Katniss. That's too many eggs in one basket IMO.

And back to what GGrievous was discussing earlier about leads in TCW, I loathe Ahsoka Tano but I still like a good part of TCW. I liked it less and less as she became more and more predominant.

I would like the ST to appeal to a broad base of people by having more than one lead character.

Trebor Sabreon, Immortiss and Dra--- like this.
  10. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I can understand that view. The only reason I don't like these structures generally is because they're usually poorly done; in fact, they are tough to do right (TV is a different story; more time to develop). If they are well done, I have no problem with them.

As for Star Wars, I either want one female protagonist, or I want a co-structure with a female and male (Luke's son and Leia's daughter). The argument for a single female protagonist hinges around the need for showing a female in charge and making decisions, rather than deferring sometimes to male characters.

As for leads or supporting characters, we can ponder if we should have more women than men. Should the ST privilege an ideal equality, or should it lean strongly towards a female POV?

Immortiss likes this.
  11. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    I've been hoping for dual-protagonists mostly because it's a difficult thing to execute well, and my thinking is that in accepting the challenge and striving for something difficult to achieve, very good things could come of it, not the least of which would be giving us something we've not really seen in the saga.

Also, I think that, assuming we get them, either potential child of both Luke and Leia/Han would be equally deserving of having the story of the ST center on them, and I don't think I'd want to see one lord over the other, story-wise. I mean, if it has to only be one, my preference is for Luke's son, but that doesn't mean I'm any less interested in "Jaina's" story than I am "Ben's," really.

If, as you suggest, another benefit of having co-protags is the opportunity to appeal to more folks, then all the better.

I'd argue for equality over either a strongly male or female p.o.v., but if the casting call is any indication (and if I remember correctly), I believe of the seven characters listed, five were men. We can make of that what we will.

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011

I think if the script writer feels that the protagonist or one of the protagonists should be female, then she should be. I don't think there needs to be a lot of thought put into it nor do I think that there is a definitive "female POV" any more than there is a definitive "male POV." The writer envisions a personality for a character and then assigns a gender, and voila.

That said...if I had to choose between an all-male cast of characters and a female character appearing only in the "traditional and submissive" role, I would choose the former. Gender has nothing to do with that, I just have no respect for submissive weak-willed people and less respect for the mindset that women are "inclined to be" or are "supposed to be" that way.

13. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012

This is my reasoning on it. A co-protagonist structure for the ST makes sense for organic narrative reasons -- we have two sides of the Skywalker family fans are interested in.

Another solution for multi-lead or ensemble structures is just to forget developing some of the characters too much and allow their typology to shine in a fun way. Someone can just be a scoundrel and be entertaining for audiences seeking pure entertainment without taking time from the plot developing them.

But sometimes when writers go this way, all characters end up flat, and the whole ensemble just seems too stereotypical.

EDIT: anakinfansince1983:
    When I say POV, I don't mean one, but a range of views that differ from one another. It's a female POV insofar as we have say five female characters, representing a wide range of views or types. A counterpointed view.

Immortiss and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  14. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Bring on the sibling rivalry!

15. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Why do you loathe Ahsoka Tano

16. Merkual

Merkual Jedi Master star 4

Jun 3, 2013
    Why do you loathe Ahsoka Tano
    -------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]

17. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Wrong question.

Dra--- likes this.
  18. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Haha, why?

I don't want to debate Ahsoka here, but she grew on me as the show progressed. By the end, I was a fan.

Mystery_Roach and Darth_Pevra like this.
  19. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Just because when anakinfan starts talking about Ahsoka she won't stop.

I like Ahsoka too. At first I was skeptical about Anakin getting an apprentice, but now I think she was a really nice addition to the verse and I even accepted her into my personal canon.

Mystery_Roach, Ryus and Dra--- like this.
  20. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Why isn't she being held up as a positive example of a female lead in Star Wars?

Dra--- likes this.
  21. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    She is.

Dra--- likes this.
  22. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Not sure.

I haven't watched the series in a while. Maybe it's something obvious I can't remember.

23. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Hope we haven't released the Kraken?

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Her responses are more like a nuclear irradiated, super-powered Cthulhu.

25. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Reminder: Please discuss the topic, not each other.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.