main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST If there's a female lead... is Disney going after the Hunger Games money/audience?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jedi_Lantern, Oct 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I'm guessing he means the next one. I hate to say it, because I think there's a good possibility of a female lead and that's worth discussing, but is it possible that this thread has run its course?

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    But... where will Fly Guy's socks post when they register...???

Mystery_Roach likes this.
  3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    In the JCC of course!

4. greenhelmet

greenhelmet Jedi Youngling

Dec 19, 2013
    You honestly do not make a compelling case for masculinity. But, at least if you keep trolling here we know you aren't ruining some poor girl's life. If you are gonna spend your sad, sad life alone... you might as well spend it being endlessly banned from a Star Wars forum...

5. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Once you finally find someone better to annoy than us, I hope you create one more sock in 2015 to let us all take turns ridiculing you when Episode VII has a female lead and becomes the highest grossing SW film yet.

6. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Some people dream of being heroes. Others dream of kicking sand in people's faces.

It's up to us to respect dreams.

Mystery_Roach likes this.
  7. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    What I think is most interesting about his socks is that he takes the time to get an avatar for them, knowing he'll get banned the first time he posts. Talk about no life.

8. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Maybe I've been taking the wrong approach. Maybe our friend Fly Guy just needs some love. Yes I love you Fly Guy, and I sincerely hope there's a kindhearted woman out there somewhere who can look past the mental and physical deformities to break down the wall that you've built up around your heart to protect yourself, and open you up to the joys of life that you've so obviously been denied. Maybe then you'll see that women aren't all evil creatures who either scream or laugh when you try to talk to them. I know it sucks to be a virgin at your age, but hang in there and try to have a positive attitude, and things may just start looking up for you.

Dra--- likes this.
  9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I am pretty sure all women laugh at him when he talks to them. I have read samples of his communications to women.

10. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Well who can blame them, but if Darth Vader and the Grinch can be redeemed, then maybe there's still hope for FG's heart to grow three sizes as well.

11. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Has this thread reached its expiration date?

12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Keep it active until March or so, we'll probably know if there's a female lead by then or not.

13. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Eh I don't know... It's likely to keep getting derailed for some time to come and it was already kind of a hotbed for this sort of thing. It seems to me that most open-minded people here have no problem with the notion of a female protagonist, and I'm not sure what even the civil debates accomplish, but if anybody has a good argument for the continuation of discourse on the subject I'm all for keeping it going.

Edit: I'm sure there's some way to talk about the dramatic possibilities that a female lead would offer, but I wonder if the title of this thread doesn't already create somewhat of a cynical and hostile environment in which to discuss that (not saying that was the intention of the OP).

Han Burgundy and Immortiss like this.
  14. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Honestly, the thread would have the same semantic content if it were asking: Are you a neanderthal or not?

15. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    That's why I'm wondering if there's a way to frame the discussion in a way in which that can be better avoided.

Something like, "What storytelling opportunities does a female lead in the ST present?"

Only maybe a bit more concise.

16. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I agree. There needs to be some kind of narrative substance behind the question rather than some absurd assumption about female leads merely being an unpalatable trend.

Then again, I don't see why the Hero thread wouldn't suffice.

17. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    You know what that lull in the pimp game between thanksgiving and Xmas is like, he'll be too busy for us after next week.

18. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Neanderthal may be giving too much credit. As for the thread, it's entertaining to see how many ways Chorus can rip a Sock.

19. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    The one thing I worry about with having a female lead is that it's going to mean we have to have an unnecessary romance. Or worse…a love triangle. It seems as though it's impossible for Hollywood films to not insert pointless romances into the story that use up valuable running time and this is especially true of female leads. One of the things I found frustrating with Korra for example is just how much time it wasted on the stupid love quadrangle. Avatar: The Last Airbender had some time for romantic relationships, but it was very limited (in the case of Aang and Katara or Sokka and Suki) or related to the plot (Mai and Zuko or Yue and Sokka). Or there's The Hunger Games that, yet again, has a love triangle. Twilight of course, also famously had one.

Brave didn't, but, unfortunately, it fell into the trap of being a stereotypical "princess doesn't want to get married" story -- which isn't too bad, but I do wish they could have come up with something more original that didn't have marriage hanging over the whole thing.

I'm just don't understand the proclivity to include romances in films when they nothing to do with the plot. What if every film randomly decided to show an aunt-nephew relationship? It's just bizarre. For JJ Abrams, see 2009's Star Trek. You could cut out the Spock-Uhura romance and it wouldn't change a darn thing about the plot. Heck, Kirk's hook-up with the green girl had more plot relevance. And it would have been more true to Spock's character and less problematic for Uhura's to cut out the romance anyway.

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I agree, and I think the ST has the chance to prove that a movie can have a female lead without her having to be romantically involved with anyone.

21. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Keep it simple, make it a Tarantino style female lead revenge movie

Kill Will

22. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    DING-DING-DING! =D=

Frankly, Chorus, you wouldn't be asking that if you didn't already know the answer...

23. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    There was a heroine thread, but everyone made jokes about heroin.

A female protagonist with The Force as her only devotion. I like that.

Pensivia, Dra--- and Barbecue17 like this.
  24. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Disney wants everyones money, not just the Hunger Games crowd (which will never make as much money as Star Wars). Star Wars is one of the few series that doesn't need to change much to achieve grabbing all the Hunger Games fans cash too.

There will be a Female in a leading role, the casting hunt for Rachel proves this. Deal with it, haters.

Now we can close the thread since everything that could be said has been beyond how they should use such a female leading role.

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  25. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    This post keeps coming up in my mind when I see this thread.

As others have said, it's really beyond its expiration at this point. I think discussing potential female leads in any other thread that's being used to discuss potential characters, such as the hero or villain threads, is a good idea. Locking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.