main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

If they could un-publish one piece of SW lit...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mastadge, May 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LianaMara

LianaMara Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 30, 2000
    Crystal Star (waro was weird)
    second choice- Planet of twilight (those droch things were disgusting)

2. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    The Glove of Darth Vader collection. YUCK!

3. aleja

aleja Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 23, 1999
    Vector Prime.

The other usual suspects: Crystal Star, BFC, CotJ, are ultimately harmless and can even be ignored as the stand-alone stories they are. And at least the more satisfying books - TTT for example - had already been published so one knew there was hope for more satisfying books somewhere down the line.

But VP was the kick-off novel to a supposedly "we're doing things right" line of books, trumpeted in the press. And it only served to show how frelled up the whole story is - a very sad and disheartening precedent. IMO.

4. Leela

Leela Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    CoPL. Without a doubt. No questions.

The 'Glove of Darth Vader' books are worth having for the covers [face_mischief]
    -Leela.

5. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    The HST, particularly Rebel Dawn.

For a variety of reasons, I wish bria had never existed.

If not that then probably Crystal Star. Who were those people? She is a good author, but the main characters were unrecognizable in it. And if I'm on the subject of unrecognizable characters, I can't forget CoPL.

6. Sith_241

Sith_241 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Vector Prime because then Chewbacca would still be alive!!

7. Master_JoshuaWindu

Master_JoshuaWindu Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2001
    I would have to say that my least favorite would have to be:

1. as everyone has said the Crystal Star just totally sucked, it had me on the brink of denouncing the EU.

2.Planet of Twilight was just as bad.

And whats the deal? you guys didnt like Vector Prime? I think the New Jedi Order has to be the best SW books ( for me anyway) since the original Thrawn Trilogy

8. Jedi_Master_Thrawn

Jedi_Master_Thrawn Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 5, 2000
    Crystle Star. It was disturbing

9. Jedi_Master_Allya

Jedi_Master_Allya Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 17, 2000
    I didn't think CoPL was terribly good as a Star Wars book. Teneniel was cool, and I took my name from it, but that's because it sounded cool. The plot wasn't the best, they weren't really in character, but the names sounded good.
    And Warlord Zsinj added a plot for the Wraith Squadron books, so we do owe him some credit.
    I guess I've got sort of a soft spot for it, as it was the first EU book I ever read.

10. luke_sk

luke_sk Jedi Youngling

Apr 16, 2001
    The Correlian
    Trilogy...The whole thing about the Solo children made it really boring.

11. Ben_Skywalker

Ben_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 20, 2001
    Planet of Twilight. that is the most boringest book that i have read so far. i fell asleep while reading it(really!!)
    i wish it was never made or they could of had a better author..

12. killfire

killfire Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2001
    It should be A New Hope ...

Let's face it, if the usual unscrupulous Imperial (like Daala, Piett, Zsinj (spelling?), Isard, Thrawn, ...) had brought up Princess Leia with the Death Star plans, he / she would have destroyed the pod with C3-PO and R2-D2 just to make shure and then tortured Princess Leia to name the rebel base instantly (Come on, a dark lord of the Sith being unable to read the mind of a seventeen year old girl not trained in the force? After all Exar Kun did in the JAT this is ridiculous). Then Obi-Wan would still
    be on Tatooine, and Luke would be a moisture farmer because Owen and Beru wouldn't have been killed. Han Solo and Chewbacca and Boba Fett would do as Jabba would like, and this stupid little rebellion would be wiped out by the Death Star. Of course the Emperor would die exhausted from the Dark Side without ever hearing about Luke, and the Moffs and Grand Admirals would get rid of Darth Vader (Thrawn would think of something for shure ...)´. Then when the Vong come along, the twelve death stars build until then will get a little target practice after the justfied destruction of Bothawui and Mon Calamari.

13. accrispin

accrispin Author of the Han Solo Trilogy star 1 VIP

Jul 11, 1998
    Wow, I'm gettin' some votes here. Maybe this is one poll I'll "win!"

<vbg>

-Ann C. Crispin

14. Lott_Dod

Lott_Dod Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2001
    The Darth Maul Journal.
    Splinter of a Mind's Eye.
    The Black Fleet Crisis Trilogy.

15. Teebones

Teebones Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2000
    The Crystal Star, by far.

And personally, the Han Solo Trilogy is only rivaled in my eyes by the Thrawn Trilogy. It was amazing, I have to say. A very enjoyable read.

16. jastermereel

jastermereel Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 19, 1998
    i can't belive i'm only the second person to say BHW...or B**nty H*nt*r W*rs...by Jeter {ptoouie, I spit at his name}...i've already delivered my rants on those before though...so i shall spare you of that pain now...BURN THE BHW!

17. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    The Young Han Solo trilogy were some of the best EU books written. :)

There are some books I don't care for and some individual plotlines I wish they could eradicate. Clones, superweapons, refusing to allow Leia to become a Jedi, etc.

18. silverblade

silverblade Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 24, 2001
    I agree that the Crystal Star is weak. I was not fond of the Barbara Hambly books either. But, I would have to say the Splinter of the Mind's Eye stands out as a book I really can't stand. Luke holds his own against Vader with almost no training? Oh, a force-focusing crystal! WIZARD!!!!!!!!! I remember reading Kevin Anderson's note in The Essential Cronology about Luke later saying that he thought he'd been inhabited by the spirit of Kenobi. Nice try, KA, but the book still sucks, IMO.

19. RogueNineJedi

RogueNineJedi Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2001
    Unpublish these books!
    1. Children of the Jedi...
    2. The Crystal Star...
    3. The Truce at Bakura...Life force starfighters? Ugghhhhh....

Storylines I'm sick of:
    *A little known Imperial superweapon has surfaced and fallen into the wrong hands...
    *Ol' Borsk schemes to make Leia look bad and usurp more power...just kill the hairy bugger off!
    *Han/Leia is in mortal danger, which forces Han/Leia to mount a rescue.

Like the NJO or not, at least it opens up some fresh possibilities.

20. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    holiday special

21. Destiny_Skywalker

Destiny_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 12, 2000
    Jaster... perhaps you're wondering why we're not complaining about BHW (sorry for swearing there)...
    Most of us haven't read it. ;)

22. Anakin SkySolo

Anakin SkySolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    silverblade says--

I remember reading Kevin Anderson's note in The Essential Cronology about Luke later saying that he thought he'd been inhabited by the spirit of Kenobi. Nice try, KA, but the book still sucks, IMO.

First, Dan Wallace co-wrote the book. So he could have written the passage instead of Kevin Anderson.

Second, the explanation regarding Kenobi's spirit comes directly from Splinter of the Mind's Eye. From page 2 of the Del Rey paperback (emphasis mine):

Although [Luke] had seen Kenobi struck by the lightsaber of Darth Vader on board the now obliterated Deathstar battle station, he could not be certain that the old wizard was truly dead. Vader's saber had only left empty air in its wake. That Ben Kenobi had departed this plane of existence was unarguable. What no one could tell was what level of existence he had passed into. Maybe death and...

Maybe not.

There were time when Luke experienced an agreeably crawly sensation, as if someone were lurking just behind him. That unseen presence occasionally seemed to move arms and legs for him, or to supply suggestions and thoughts when his mind was helplessly blank. Blank as that of the former farm boy of Tatooine's desert world.

And again, from the combat itself, page 285 (again, emphasis mine):

"I'm...I'm Ben Kenobi," Luke whispered in an odd way.

For just a moment Vader seemed shaken. "Ben Kenobi's dead. I killed him myself. You are simple Luke Skywalker, an ex-farm boy from Tatooine. You are no master of the Force and the equal of Ben Kenobi you will never be."

"Ben Kenobi is with me, Vader," Luke snarled, gaining confidence every second, "and the Force is with me, too."

23. Mecca-Don

Mecca-Don Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 28, 2001
    jastermereel, I agree. The Bounty Hunter Wars were extremely weak. I'll put them in second place right behind the Crystal Star as books that should be "Un Published."

24. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    I have no problem with Splinter in the Mind's Eye but it shouldn't be canon in the SW EU universe. No chance in hell that Luke could hold his own against Vader. I don't go for that Obi-Wan puppet-controlling Luke thing either. If that was the case, Obi-Wan could have done it at any time he wanted. Also, Vader says dialogue that you would never hear him say in the films or any other piece of EU. He sounds like a cheesy, one-dimensional villian.

25. mj

mj Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 12, 1998
    Yay! Someone finally said Splinter of the Mind's Eye! The attraction Luke had to his sister in it made me wanna hurl.

Aside from that I have to agree. Unpublish the Crystal Star, please! (As you can tell, I'm a Luke fan...)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.