main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT If they did this with the OT, would you pay for it?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Drewdude91, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    What if they made a "custom edition", where fans can pick and choose what parts of which versions are in the OT? For example, suppose you really love the newest editions, but really hate Han shooting second? So, they can make him shoot first, while keeping the rest of the special edition in there. I know this will never, ever happen, but I think it would be pretty cool. Your thoughts?

2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Nah. The blu-rays are perfect for me. Nevertheless, this is a notion I'd support for the people who don't adore every single modification

Andy Wylde likes this.
  3. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    As I've said in other posts, I would be all over a set like this like white on rice - it would be a Day 1 purchase for me. That being said, a set like this would be quite expensive & logistically difficult to put together, since any variation (from the 1977, 1997, 2004, and 2011 cuts) would have to play seamlessly....

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That would be cool but nuts to do.

5. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    If the rumor about the OOT coming to BluRay is true, that's all I'd need. Even some of the acceptable changes to the OT (The Falcon taking off from the pad on Tatooine) wouldn't bother me to omit. Please, let the OOT BluRay be true!!

6. Lego Thrawn

Lego Thrawn Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 30, 2013
    I'm actually very pleased with the SE we got with the 2003 DVDs... in all reality, the only thing I absolutely positively want GONE for good, is the stupid ghost of young Anakin. Kill it. Kill it with fire from the bowels of Hell itself.

7. Drewdude91

May 21, 2011

Then with this Custom OT Set, you could get the 03 special editions, and change Hayden with Shaw!!

Lego Thrawn likes this.
  8. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    I'd be into it.

9. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Of course I'd buy such a set - but realistically, one which provided a 'pick-and-choose' version that played seamlessly would be unlikely in the near future. However, I don't think it'd be unreasonable to have a version with options that appear at certain points to show certain major changes (plus deleted scenes). Such options have been around on various DVDs for a long time.
    If an 'Ultimate Edition' with all the major releases of each film was to be released, you could include such options in the latest cut.

10. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Hey - just wanted to add to the above posts that, in general, it's tough to add deleted scenes into a film, unless it's done well. I don't know much about this logistically, but I watch a lot of films on DVD/Blu-ray, and it seems that in some cases where deleted scenes are added into a film, you can tell because there's a "pause" in between the regular film & the deleted scene; case in point, the "Stripes" Special Edition DVD has some extra scenes (if you watch the "Director's cut"), and it's very sloppily done - the editing is poor, and you can tell where the regular film ends & the deleted scene begins. I've seen this in other DVD's, but can't think of other examples off the top of my head...

However, this isn't always a problem..In many other cases, the additional scenes/changes fit together perfectly in the film. I.e., all of the additional versions of the OT (1997, 2004, 2011), the Alien & Aliens Director's cut (both the theatrical & the director's cut versions are on the "Alien Anthology" DVD & Blu sets), the various versions of Blade Runner, etc.

This is why a "pick & choose" option for the OT may be problematic; I'm not saying the technology isn't there to set this up so that the scenes we pick & choose won't fit together seamlessley with the rest of the film...what I am saying is that this will be difficult to do properly.

Sarge likes this.
  11. Drewdude91

May 21, 2011
    There aren't too many deleted scenes added in, it's more effects and stuff. Personally, I love the original ESB, but I much prefer McDiarmid's Emperor. So why not have the original cut but splice in McDiarmid as Emperor.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  12. beedubaya

beedubaya Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 15, 2014
    This would be great. I believe Han shot first and Anakin's force ghost would be a nearing fifty and not a twentysomething, but I do like McDiarmid as Emperor and I like the CGI special effects added to Mos Eisley and Bespin.

13. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    The fact that this is even an idea, when you think about it, says a lot about the changes that have been made multiple times over the years. Personally, I'd be OK with an OOT as well as the blu ray OT (both on blu ray disc of course).

14. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    It's a nice idea, but would be way too costly to implement, and the technology isn't there.

15. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    I would not, I'd much prefer to just stick the original. Regardless of any flaws.

16. Darth Rycbar

Darth Rycbar Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 1, 2014
    I just want a version with better colour, no matte lines, etc., but with all the original scenes and no dumb edits.

Yanksfan likes this.
  17. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    You can always do some editing magic on your PC.

18. Drewdude91

May 21, 2011
    True, but i don't have the time or skills. If someone were to get a license from Lucasfilm or Disney to do this, they'd make some serious bank

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I might do it.

I'd certainly take an ROTJ Blu-Ray edition with Silent!Vader throwing Palpatine down the shaft.

20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Which, ghost Anakin?

21. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    I'll take a version where the Emperor cackles with excitement when Vader tosses him down the shaft.

Emperor: "MWAHAHAHA, your journey to the darkside is now complete!"
    Vader: "You totally misread this. I'm good now."
    Emperor: "Make up your miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiind"

22. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I would pay handsomely for such a version.

23. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    This x a million

24. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    I've thought about this for years. I would buy it tomorrow :)

25. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    The short answer is if it has the words 'Star' and 'Wars' in that sequence, I will buy it.