main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT If Vader and Palpatine's first target is Leia?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Slowpokeking, Dec 22, 2012.

1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I don't think Leia even needs the greater good as motivation. Leia is very passionate and aggressive, she's absolutely full of anger, fear and pain and more importantly she doesn't show much or any control over it. In an emotional confrontation, the dark side would be with her in an instant and she'd use it without even realizing it, it would happen very quickly, making her mental and emotional toughness mostly irrelevant. How can she resist if she doesn't even know what the dark side is? To her it's just emotions. Why would she want to resist if it helps her fight back? She'd probably like using the dark side to smack Vader around a bit. In her mind she wouldn't be turning evil (that would come later down the road) she'd just be fighting back against evil. Luke realizes the folly of using his rage to fight the dark side because he's been taught the Jedi way, Leia hasn't.

Really, Vader and Palpatine wouldn't even need to do much to get Leia to use the dark side, they'd just need to trigger an emotional response. They don't even need to mention the dark side or anger or hate, that would come all on its own because Leia would bring it with her.

kainee likes this.
  2. Felicia

Felicia Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    Palpatine needed Padme killed because she was apposed to the Military Creation Act. At the time of Attack of the Clones Palpatine was strill trying to get the Clone Army approved by the Senate. Padme was one of the main detractors of that bill. If Palps removes her then he has one less person standing in his way. Padme pretty much tricked him as she arrives on Coruscant and Darme gets off of the ship and it blows up. Padme pops out of the smaller ship unharmed.

Darth Maul appears on Naboo in Attack of the Clones. Where as Obi-Wan and Qui Gon Jinn have to take care of him. Why was he there if not to kill Padme? At the time of the Phantom Menace at the beginning Anakin has not yet been discovered. Yet by the end of the Phantom Menace she is still alive. They have a droid army chasing her in the Phantom Menace. In Attack of the Clones Palpatine has Dooku hire a bounty hunter to kill her and all of these attempts fail. Palps failed in his attempts to kill Padme.

I have not once seen Palps referred to as a political idealist as Dooku was. I have never seen Palps try to do anything good for the galaxy ala Jacen Solo. Palps was evil. He wanted to be the sole leader of the "Empire." Palpy killed his Master in his sleep and not once does he say he wants to help the galaxy. He never mentions this to Anakin at all or to Luke. Palps is just a bad man out for power. I do not understand why because Leia does not cower at the sight of "Lord Vader" this makes her arrogant. Leia stood up to him without being a Jedi. If she were a trained Jedi Knight "Lord Vader" would have had a more difficult time than he did with her. Leia at the time of A New Hope was used to depending on herself. When we first see her in a New Hope she is carrying the plans of the Death Star so the Rebel Alliance can blow it up. Leia is pretty much out there on her own. Leia also sends the droids down to Tatooine and stays on the ship and faces "Lord Vader" alone. Leia is the daughter of the Chosen One and she stood up to "Lord Vader".

3. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Both Luke and Leia were equally capable of succumbing to their more negative side . . . but for different reasons. Leia may have been prone to anger and unforgiveness, but Luke was headstrong, impatient and clung to attachments a bit too much. Each sibling had his/her own set of personal faults that made them both equally capable of becoming Sith. In fact, I would say the same for every single character.

Why do people seemed to believe that only certain people are easily capable of succumbing to evil? I don't understand this thinking. We're all capable of doing this for different reasons. All it takes is the right moment or situation for this to happen.

kainee likes this.
  4. Felicia

Felicia Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    That should have been Darth Maul appears In the Phantom Menace and not Attack of the Clones. There was fast typing again I'm sorry for the confusion. [face_blush] All people have a darkside but some people are better at making choices than other people.

5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I agree, mostly. I don't agree with the "No way she'd turn evil dude no way!" idea, as if certain people are completely immune.

But I think some people are more susceptible than others, some are more likely than others.

Also, not sure if I made it clear, by bringing up Vader I was stating that Leia didn't have the compassion for Vader that ultimately saved Luke.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I was never really convinced that Luke was in danger of turning, even though I know that suspense was supposed to be there in the throne room scene. I was far more concerned that Vader would let Palpatine kill him.

I'm not saying Luke wouldn't turn, I think part of the point of the story is that it could happen to anybody, but I think if Leia were in that throne room, she would have struck Palpatine down before he tell her that he could feel her hatred.

7. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Until the right situation appears that lead them to make wrong choices. No one is invulnerable to wrong choices or succumbing to evil.

I thought Luke was in danger of turning, considering his reaction to Obi-Wan's death in ANH and his rash decision to go to Leia and Han's aid in ESB . . . a decision that nearly led to disaster for him.

8. Frankakin skywalker

Frankakin skywalker Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 13, 2012
    You read Infinities? They are so awesome!