main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series If Vader appears, should Anakin as well?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, Feb 6, 2014.

1. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Yes I know technically Anakin will be appearing for sure if Vader does.

If Vader does appear on the show, should we see the Anakin vs Vader conflict within him? A part of old Anakin still alive? In ROTJ a point was made that Vader was not pure evil (unlike Palpatine), that there still remained a little trace of the good man version of Anakin, and that is why he was able to show love to Luke and return to the path of good.

If Rebels portrays Vader, should there be a time(s) when a little bit of "Anakin" is seen. Or should Vader in any of his hypothetical appearances in Rebels never have any trace of old Anakin showing?

Of course there could also be the possibility of showing flashbacks of Anakin.

Dra--- likes this.
  2. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013
    Considering that this is only 5 years before ANH, I'd say that this conflict is not nearly as prominent anymore...no need for a Vader/Anakin metacrisis focus.

TKT, Revanfan1, Master_Rebado and 2 others like this.
  3. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    They could show the internal conflict, but nobody besides Vader himself and Palpatine should be aware of it. Everybody else should see evil incarnate.

Katarn's Beard likes this.
  4. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    Not really feeling it. I know, we've had several stories where we see these last little sparks of Anakin and Vader wrestling with who he used to be and who he thinks he should be...but those were really early stories. Weeks and months after ROTS stories. By Rebels, being set just a couple years before ANH and all, he should be pretty comfortable being a Dark Lord of the Sith and a badass villain.

5. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Only when and if he meets Ahsoka. But only a few hints, nothing more.

Otherwise no, hell no!

JediFan215, KED12345 and CT-867-5309 like this.
  6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Yeah, it's not really what I'm looking for.

7. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    At this point, Anakin Skywalker is, if not metaphorically dead, at least metaphorically comatose. Vader should not be portrayed as anything but Vader.

8. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    Was it not until the discovery by Vader (and the Empire) of Luke Skywalker that Vader had any "reigniting" of his good side?

That realising he had any family alive made him feel hope again albeit if it was to overthrow the Emperor.

Luke then of course in his interactions with Vader manages to draw "Anakin" out of Vader and lead to Anakin being able to purge Vader and be redeemed.

9. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Ahsoka is sorta his foster daughter, someone he knew rather intimately, more than Luke in fact. If he was interested in Luke, it would consequently make no sense that he would not be interested in Ahsoka's fate. Of course "interested" means that he would probably want to turn her. For her own good of course...

The difference here could be that he doesn't realize he is hurting her. When Luke chose death over allying with him, I think that was a great shock. How could anyone refuse all that power, all the gifts he has to give? It made him rethink his purpose and his life.

That's why in Ahsoka's case I hope he succeeds. If she falls, he will be reaffirmed of his dark side values. Because if even the righteous Ahsoka choses the path of the dark side, it has to be the right one, doesn't it?

Original Oatmeal and Lady_Misty like this.
  10. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    GL says in the ANH DVD/Blu-Ray commentary that Vader is "being pushed around by bureaucrats".

Original Oatmeal likes this.
  11. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I'm not sure how bureaucrats can possibly push Vader around, or why he would let them at this point. He allegedly turned to the dark side to bring peace to his new Empire, not suffer more politicians.

There's not much continuity to that thought.

12. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    I think the idea was that the loss of Padme caused Vader to forget about his vision and he came to see serving the Empire as just a job.

Of course, Vader's subservience in ANH could easily be explained as Vader not caring about the Death Star.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  13. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Vader cares a lot about the empire. Why else would he risk his neck in a one-man fighter or talk to Luke about "bringing order to the galaxy"? He loves the idea of the empire, just not always the execution.

He suffers them, alright, until they do something damaging and die of an unrelated "accident" or a tragic heart attack.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    No "internal conflict," Vader is just cold calculating evil at this point, with Anakin buried so deep within him that he cannot and will not recognize his presence.

And no Vader being intimidated by anyone other than the Emperor.

TKT and Mr. Atom Bomb like this.
  15. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    =D=[face_rofl]
    As long as what we see in ANH isn't contradicted.

Lady_Misty and Darth_Pevra like this.
  16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Agreed. I sort of think Vader chose to accept Tarkin's authority over the Death Star though, or he was told to do so by the Emperor. I don't think Vader was afraid of Tarkin.

Lady_Misty, Revanfan1 and purplerain like this.
  17. Mr. Atom Bomb

Mr. Atom Bomb Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012

Couldn't agree more, on both points. Less is more with Vader- I want his few appearances to be genuinely intimidating and/or chilling, and not to be diluted through overuse.

18. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    No.

Cold, ruthless and dominating - no emotional unstable/pathetic Vader.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  19. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Not over the top, but I wouldn't mind a bit of it where appropriate.

The thing about Darth Vader is, at a fundamental level he was never really a very good Sith Lord. And that is not a commentary on his powers or abilities as a warrior, lest anyone get the wrong idea - rather it is an observation in regards to his mental state.

He spent over 20 years trying so hard to be the darkest, blackest, most brutal Dark Lord around... but he was never able to crush the candle of light in the depths of his being. He went about and did the darkest and most outrageous and most monstrous deeds, as much to try and prove his utter darkness to himself as to anyone else. But behind the facade, he was always pathetic and tormented and riven.

20. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Conflict makes a Sith more powerful. I believe that is true for outer conflict with the world and with enemies as it is for inner conflict with yourself. Only when you are challenged can you grow and become stronger. Vader carries a tornado in his soul and that is why he is a strong Sith.

Palpatine is an example of someone without any inner conflict, and because of it he never really challenged himself. Deep down he is still a little child, endlessly greedy for toys and power. He has a lot of physical power but mentally he is rather weak.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  21. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    No. Vader has by this point had time to "scab over." He's become the cold, evil villain we see in ANH. The only thing I think we'll see of his "Anakin" side is his extreme temper. Losing his cool, tearing apart his enemies, etc. Compassion, indecision, whining? No, these parts of him are dead and he should be full-on Vader by now. That's my take on it and I'm not changing it.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  22. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Perhaps we should get a scene with Vader complaining heavily, and saying, "It's all Palpatines fault".

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't actually want to see that but damn, that's funny.

24. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    In flashbacks. Perhaps a dream.

Also if they would something like my Niece fanfic series I'll just die the happiest camper. Vader has to deal with someone from his past life and close to his wife. In this case his niece, Senator Pooja Naberrie. Vader feels very conflicted about it and one can see remnants of Anakin.

25. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Wow, that plot is really popular in fanfiction. It's right up there with "Padmé survived somehow and now seeks Vader" or "Vader has to care for a mute Luke Skywalker".

I don't want to see any of these. No sappy storylines please. If you show some glimpse of Anakin, have it end in tragedy.

Lady_Misty likes this.