main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series If Vader appears, should Anakin as well?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Isn't that true of 99% of all dark times protagonists?

Ned Stark comparisons don't help the case...

2. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    Considering their desire to recreate ANH, I doubt that Anakin will appear.

TaradosGon likes this.
  3. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    This kind of piggy backs off what I said in another thread comparing the tone of the OT that was more of a simple, fun adventure that was light on gloom and heavier on the humor VS the prequels - specifically AOTC and ROTS - which really dove into the gloom and emotional hardships of Anakin, with the latter half of ROTS getting into some really serious and gloomy ****.

An exception going to TPM, which I felt was more in line with the OT more so than it was with AOTC or ROTS.

And I'm not saying that the prequels were devoid of humor or that the OT didn't have it's serious moments, merely commenting on how I regard the overall feel of the two. The OT never really took itself too seriously. The villains were just guys that let their hate flow freely and it seemed that if Palpatine and Vader could succeed in getting Luke angry enough, he would just fall. It wasn't particularly realistic, but simple. Or when Alderaan is destroyed, Leia gets over it in like two seconds, the emotional impact of it just is never dealt with. The tone doesn't get bogged down with the emotions of the characters. They are not portrayed in a way to really facilitate sympathy.

With the prequels, Anakin crosses the line of severe hate several times and comes back (killing Tuskens and murdering Dooku). The depiction of Anakin's fall was way more involved and tried to put a more realistic spin on how someone could come to do awful things and justifying them as good and how Anakin was distraught. For instance, I believe in the bonus features for ROTS, there is a clip of Lucas talking to Hayden about the character and explaining that while on Mustafar that Anakin is constantly asking himself "what am I doing?" and then justifying it to himself that he's doing it for Padme. And that there is the shot on Mustafar where he's got tears in his eyes, and that it's because deep down he knows what he's doing is wrong.

With Rebels looking like it's going to pull more from the OT, I'm expecting more of that over-the-top adventure where villains are villains because of power, not because of complicated and irrational justifications for horrible things.

I think Vader, as in ANH, is going to have it together. I mean, when he confronts Obi-Wan in in ANH, he merely boasts of his power. He doesn't lash out with "I HATE YOU!" or accuse him of turning Padme against him, or get emotional over the damage Obi-Wan did to him, or try to blame Obi-Wan for Padme's death or anything like that. Vader merely taunts Obi-Wan, asserting that he has surpassed him in abilities.

I expect more that Vader. Not the emotionally shattered one from ROTS.

4. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    Considering what happens to both of them, it's kind of an apt comparison of the danger of being too good a guy in a bad era.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  5. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Me too. Though I think his boasting does reveal a little about his emotional state.

I never bought into the idea that he fears Palpatine. But I will believe that he fears Obi-Wan, even if he grew to be far more powerful than him.

6. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    The thing is, Ned Stark is a very grimdark type himself. Everyone in GoT is, even the heroes. Ned is like the goodest of the good guys in GoT, yet within the first ten minutes of the pilot episode he summarily chopped a guy's head off. For the crime of running from a bunch of undead types who slaughtered all his comrades, no less.

I thought that scene was kinda there to let you know the kind of world this place is. You get that summary execution and it's like "...and this is the GOOD guy!" and it sets the tone for the whole setting early on. It throws you in at the deep end, you know from then on it's going to be a GRIM DARK world. If the main hero does that, what the hell are the villains going to be like?

And it goes on from there.

Of course Bail ain't like that, but then Star Wars is nowhere near as grimdark a setting. So he doesn't have to be.

minnishe likes this.