main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

If weed becomes decriminalized (or even legalized) in Canada ....

Discussion in 'Communications' started by wk_sock, Oct 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2001
    There?s nothing wrong with pot. I feel safer around people who?ve been smoking pot all evening than people who?ve been drinking all evening. THC is not as addictive as nicotine or alcohol. Pot smells a heck of a lot nicer than tobacco.

Am I allowed talking about my political party of choice?
    [image=http://www.gazette.uwo.ca/2000/November/21/photos/weed.gif]

Proud to be Canadian!
    [image=http://ursu.uregina.ca/~carillon/jan29.98/features/canada.jpg]

2. legacyAccount

legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2012
    i think that the issues wasn't that it was mentioned in the thread, but instead that it wasw mentioned in the inital post, so it was one of the things that the thread seemed centered around.

and i don't think the issue is so much 'illegal substances' but instead the recreational use of illegal substances.

as long as a discussion isn't centered around pot use, i don't think there should be an issue with it being mentioned once or twice. but when it becomes a "smoking pot" thread, that's when there's a problem. the same way a distinction is makde between a getting drunk thread, and a what's your favorite kind of beer thread.

but that's just my 2¢.

3. Dark_Lord_Erik

Dark_Lord_Erik Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2001
    We allow discussion of marijuana and it's effects, or should marijuana be decriminalized. Both of those topics would go in the Senate.

It's when you start topics like "Do you smoke?" in JCC that it's not going to be allowed. And I'm quite sure that it's not going to change.

4. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2001
    as long as a discussion isn't centered around pot use, i don't think there should be an issue with it being mentioned once or twice. but when it becomes a "smoking pot" thread, that's when there's a problem. the same way a distinction is makde between a getting drunk thread, and a what's your favorite kind of beer thread.

Oh yes, that makes sense. I just think that pot should recieve the same treatment as alcohol, which is more dangerous in my opinion.

5. toochilled

toochilled Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 17, 2000
    Sounds reasonable to me.

6. kephy

kephy Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2000
    "and the state of stupid is Texas. Got that kids? "

I am highly offended by this. Highly offended.

7. gundark

gundark Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 1999
    Can we discuss bongs, bowls, hookahs, pipes or other devices since it's legal to import them as long as there is no drug residue present?

8. kephy

kephy Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2000
    Don't call it a bong, it's a "water pipe"

9. gundark

gundark Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 1999
    My apologies.

"Water pipe"

10. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    It's already legal in Amsterdam.

And the rest of Holland.

*puff*

11. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    I Me Mine, I Me Mine, I Me Mine. [face_plain]

12. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    The legality of it isn't an issue, it'e if the grand high staff want it on their site.

13. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    THC is not as addictive as nicotine or alcohol. Pot smells a heck of a lot nicer than tobacco.

And Pot can kill you quicker I hear

Because if Cannabis becomes legalised, it will most like be used for medicinal relaxment purposes.

I doubt most talking about it hear would though

IMO, there's no need to talk about it, so it shouldnt be allowed in some form

14. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
    being as how the servers are in the US, I don't see how a Canadian law will affect it much.

That's a really, really, really bad argument.
    It's almost offensive in it's callousness.

15. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    No, I doubt it would be allowed even if it was legalised in the US. The people that run this place insist on forcing as many people as they can to follow their beliefs that they wouldn't care if it was legal.

16. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
    Yes. Yes we do. That's what communications is for, apparantly. [face_laugh]

17. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    That's a really, really, really bad argument.
    It's almost offensive in it's callousness.

Yes, it's callous, but there's strong precedent in U.S. law that you are legally responsible for what information is contained on your servers. So leagally that is a legitimate arguement.

18. Saint_of_Killers

Feb 18, 2001
    Talking about using illegal substances is not illegal. 1st amendment. So TFN isn't risking legal action by letting people talk about smoking a fatty boom batty blunt.

19. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    It doesn't matter.

Let us consider a newspaper. The columnist have the right to say pretty much anything, however the editor has the right to decide if it get's published in their paper.

The same applies here, you can say anything you want but the Owners have the right to decide if it goes on thier boards.

The freedom of speech does not extend to having other people pay for it.

20. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Quote:
    "Talking about using illegal substances is not illegal. 1st amendment. So TFN isn't risking legal action by letting people talk about smoking a fatty boom batty blunt."

[bored, monotone voice] TFN is not a govenement. It is a private website. The first amendment does not apply. [/bored, monotone voice]

Damn, the record broke.

21. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    Isn't going against the Constitution, like... a sin or something? [face_plain]

I'm glad that we are able to discuss it on FanForce Canada. The JC is about 90% Americans. We're outnumbered there. I don't think it would be wise to push our luck and pressure the administration to allow us to discuss it there, even after legalization takes place.

22. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    i don't even want to start in on this topic...........but for the rest of your, this is what i have learnt about forum policy in the last 3 or so years........

"don't talk about anything that an 8 year old child who can't read english's mother who translates for him would be offended by"

because apparantly the best way to raise a family these days is to totally ignore anything that Queen Victoria would be offended by and let your children discover all sorts of sinful things when they go to college, and hope they don't drop out, pregnant and hepped up on goofballs

23. NathanDahlin

NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2000
    Quote:

[blockquote]The people that run this place insist on forcing as many people as they can to follow their beliefs that they wouldn't care if it was legal.[/blockquote][hr]

What? Are they putting a gun to your head or something? Honestly, that's both untrue and inflammatory. Is it too much for TFN staff to ask for people to follow some simple guidelines while they're here? They're not forcing you to follow their morals. They're just asking you to abide by their wishes while you're on this forum. No one's stopping you from going to other forums and posting profanity, sexual innuendo, weed support threads or whatever.

24. Saint_of_Killers

Feb 18, 2001
    "[bored, monotone voice] TFN is not a govenement. It is a private website. The first amendment does not apply. [/bored, monotone voice]"

That's not what I meant. I meant that saying TFN could get in trouble with the law for allowing discussion of illegal substances is wrong.

And Nathan, perhaps force wasn't the right word. Maybe influence. In order to post here, you have to conform to their morals while you're here.

25. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Well the owners of the site never said that they'd get in trouble. The rules are their personal preference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.