main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends If You Call (AU J/Z romance; sequel to "Fast as I Can") COMPLETE - prequel link up 07/27

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Trickster_Jaina_Fel, Jan 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trickster_Jaina_Fel

Trickster_Jaina_Fel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2002
    If You Call
    By Trickster_Jaina_Fel

Disclaimer
    : Alas, barring plot and the odd OC, I own none of the established characters, star systems, concepts, or?really much at all. I?m not making any money off of this.
    Summary: Sequel to Fast as I Can. Six months after their argument, Zekk and Jaina run into each other again?in the middle of one of her risky missions, this time, and with history to further complicate the matter. And if you call, I will answer / And if you fall, I?ll pick you up / And if you court this disaster, I?ll point you home.
    Keywords: Jaina/Zekk, AU, romance, general, Zekk, Jaina Solo, Peckhum, Kyp Durron, OC's
    Author?s Note: Title and summary lyrics are from ?Call and Answer? by Barenaked Ladies.

Zekk knew that Jaina visited Peckhum; the old spacer never hid that information?in fact, Peckhum made a point of sharing it. Zekk usually cut Peckhum off before he had even started in on it. Zekk could be relatively certain that Jaina was not engaged; but the image of her temper was much more clear.

In six months, they hadn?t spoken a word. Zekk?s new job co-piloting the Grey Hawk consumed his time, even when they returned to Coruscant. He had never worked as hard in his life, let alone enjoyed his stable employment. He had thrown himself into learning everything he could about ship engines and piloting. Raven Lee and her crew seemed amused by his fervour but were generally helpful, so long as he kept his eyes off the secret compartments. They had been together too long to trust an outsider. Zekk thought he was winning them over, though; the captain liked him, at least.

If he missed more than just Peckhum when he was flying through the Outer Rim, Zekk worked harder to stop dwelling on it. The Outer Rim tabloids and news had other targets than the daughter of New Republic heroes, and only Mique was bent enough to share copies of the Coruscant ones. Zekk was doing very well forgetting about his friend, he thought, right up until Jaina made things difficult again.

x-x-x

Tattooine was always a trouble spot, and not just because his fellow crewmembers had gotten on the wrong side of the Hutts. Scooti, their overly young mechanic, invariably found the worst bar in Mos Eisley?not to mention any other city they docked in?and the stupidest or meanest men to fight over her. With the captain and her first mate always taking care of business on the planet, Zekk?s duties usually expanded to keeping an eye on the unwitting trouble magnet. With any luck, he managed to keep Scooti out of jail, though rarely off the bar?s banned list.

?Well, I?m off,? she told the crew as soon as they had landed. She knew enough, at least, to give warning now. ?There?s this cantina I heard tell of, the Dustbowl, and??

?Why don?t I come along, then,? Zekk interrupted. The places she had heard tell of were always the worst.

Hrul, the Hawk?s enormous first mate, growled something?either a warning or a threat. Zekk might not know Hrul?s species, but Hrul?s Scooti-sized soft spot hadn?t gone unnoticed since his first week on the Hawk.

?We?ll even try to keep you out of jail this time,? Zekk added, rolling his eyes.

?I just want a drink,? Scooti protested.

?And I am completely okay with that plan,? Zekk agreed. ?But I?m bringing my blaster anyway.?

x-x-x

Despite Zekk?s best intentions, Scooti soon darted out of his immediate line of visiond, and he only caught glimpses of her through the night when she returned to the bar for drinks. There was a particularly dense mass in the crowded bar, off in the shadows, and that would be his first target if things went sour. Until then, Zekk found himself a drink and a table on the catwalk.

He had a reasonable view of the cantina, but the table?s location held him slightly apart from the mass of beings. Growing up a Coruscanti orphan had given him a sense of when?and around whom?he should stay off the ra

2. Neo-Paladin

Neo-Paladin Jedi Master star 4

Dec 10, 2004
    No kidding, I was re-reading FaIC when I got the PM for this. o_O

This post has a great vibe. I see a hint of what Zekk has built himself up to become and how the consummate survivor is becoming a little bit more. It's that diamond in the ruff transitioning into ... what's next. o_O Seeing Zekk's instincts in play is rare enough, and great to see because of it. The OC's are fun too, they set the tone really well.

I, as always, look forward to more.

3. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Ooh, Jaina? What did you get yourself into?

I like how Zekk's proto-danger sense was working there. And can he please punch Kyp? Pretty please with a concussion on top? ;) [face_laugh]

Awesome start, Erin. Please continue the PMs. [face_love]

4. ZekksGoddess

ZekksGoddess Jedi Master star 4

Oct 2, 2004
    Ugh- I finally got a chance to read this!

Zekk knew that Jaina visited Peckhum; the old spacer never hid that information?in fact, Peckhum made a point of sharing it.
    Teehee. He would.

Zekk could be relatively certain that Jaina was not engaged; but the image of her temper was much more clear.
    Obviously, time hasn't worn down his remembrance of that temper. :D

Zekk was doing very well forgetting about his friend, he thought, right up until Jaina made things difficult again.
    *rubs hands together* Heh. Here we go.

She had draped herself across the man?s lap without a hint of her pragmatic nature. It was far worse than his glimpse of her in Revashed, almost a year previously.
    I like that line.

I'm feeling Zekk's worry for Jaina, and I'm a little worried myself- worried that maybe she's getting in over her head again?

I'm so happy for the update and looking forward to the next one- thanks for the PM!

5. blurt

blurt Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2008
    This is really interesting, I read through "Fast as I Can" first and really liked it.
    Whatever undercover job Kyp and Jaina are working on I hope one of them gets a chance to knock some sense into Zekk.
    You can't just pretend people don't exist when when you're mad at them, how many times did he do that in "Fast as I Can"? And he's clearly worried for her safety, so it's not like he doesn't care. Sorry, I know he has self-worth issues and gets defensive and pushes her away instead of talking through things, I guess he thinks if he avoids her she can never reject him. Anyway, it's driving me crazy and has to stop!

6. Trickster_Jaina_Fel

Oct 3, 2002
    NP: No kidding, I was re-reading FaIC when I got the PM for this.

perfect timing, then *g*

This post has a great vibe. I see a hint of what Zekk has built himself up to become and how the consummate survivor is becoming a little bit more. It's that diamond in the ruff transitioning into ... what's next.

Thank you! He's definitely had some time to come more into his own, now that he's prodding his own potential. That, at least, is one thing in his favour if/when he decides to tackle the mess he left with Jaina ;p

Seeing Zekk's instincts in play is rare enough, and great to see because of it.

Glad to hear it - you can expect more of those hints, at the least ;)

The OC's are fun too, they set the tone really well.

Thanks! The crew might not play as big of a role as I originally expected, but I never coul resist throwing in a few OC's [face_mischief] :p

Jon: Ooh, Jaina? What did you get yourself into?

Oh, biting off more than one can chew is really just part of her DNA, at this point :p Besides, what could *possibly* go wrong? :eek: [face_mischief]

And can he please punch Kyp? Pretty please with a concussion on top?

Haha, um...no. That's one brawl Zekk really couldn't win :p

Awesome start, Erin. Please continue the PMs.

Thanks, and will do :D

ZG: Zekk knew that Jaina visited Peckhum; the old spacer never hid that information?in fact, Peckhum made a point of sharing it.
    Teehee. He would.

Oh, Peckhum's just *waiting* for an opportunity to matchmake like mad. He'll be the humour element in this fic *g*

Obviously, time hasn't worn down his remembrance of that temper.

Really, after one run-in...it's really not something to forget :p

I'm feeling Zekk's worry for Jaina, and I'm a little worried myself- worried that maybe she's getting in over her head again?

Oh, you know Jaina. She just can't quite turn down the chance to get into trouble. At least she has Kyp and a team for back up this time?

I'm so happy for the update and looking forward to the next one

Thanks! :D

blurt: This is really interesting, I read through "Fast as I Can" first and really liked it.

Thank you! I'm so glad you enjoyed FaIC (and this first post) :D

Whatever undercover job Kyp and Jaina are working on I hope one of them gets a chance to knock some sense into Zekk.

Oh, don't worry. Jaina isn't the type to let things go easily :p

You can't just pretend people don't exist when when you're mad at them, how many times did he do that in "Fast as I Can"? And he's clearly worried for her safety, so it's not like he doesn't care. Sorry, I know he has self-worth issues and gets defensive and pushes her away instead of talking through things, I guess he thinks if he avoids her she can never reject him. Anyway, it's driving me crazy and has to stop!

Zekk's issues certainly came back to screw them both over in FaIC, but he's had six months to deal with things since then, so there have been (or will be) some changes, if that makes you feel better. And Jaina will definitely be hammering into his head just what he did wrong, so that should help get him on the right track :p

~TJF

7. Trickster_Jaina_Fel

Oct 3, 2002
    When Raven and Hrul returned to their ship, Zekk was not surprised that they had decided to stay docked. ?Just until we find another job,? Raven added. ?Scooti hasn?t visited the jails yet, I see. I?m sure she?ll make up for lost time.?

Hrul snorted, and headed into the ship. ?How do we know she hasn?t already set it up?? he rumbled.

Raven grinned before turning back to Zekk. ?By the way, that cantina Scooti was raving about?people have been disappearing faster?n usual. Best not go back anytime soon.?

Somehow, Zekk was not surprised by any of it. Not even a bit.

x-x-x

Zekk was even less surprised when, the next day, a small figure barrelled him into a back alley. Even once he was in the alley, Jaina kept pushing until they were halfway down the side street before she dragged him into a doorway. ?You kriffing son of a Sith?? she reared up.

He decided it was in his best interests to cut her off. She looked even angrier than he had expected. ?You?re alright. I mean, what are you doing here??

Jaina focused on him her blackest glare. ?Fake amnesia,? she said, ?will not get you out of this. What the kriff do you think I?m doing here? What are you doing here? Or in that bar, for kriff?s sake? A death wish isn?t any more acceptable than amnesia, Zekk.?

Apparently, she wasn?t going to take the bait for distraction. Zekk tried again; he had hoped for more time to prepare, and even the past night hadn?t filled his ideal quota. ?The ship?s mechanic?Scooti?wanted to go. Probably for the trouble. I was keeping an eye out for her. What?s so bad about it??

Jaina?s mouth tightened across her face; Jedi Knight Solo, who had fought on Quec?slig, and lost a war. ?Stay away from there, Zekk. That whole neighbourhood. You have no idea??

?Well, obviously not, Miss Cryptic,? he snapped, taking the offensive. ?I grew up on Coruscant. I?m not easy prey.?

Jaina?s expression, if anything, only got darker, sterner. Her face was almost unfamiliar to him, no ready sign of his friend to be found. For the first time, he seriously wondered what, exactly, he had done to Jaina with his disappearance. ?There are some?many?things that you aren?t ready to fight, Zekk, and this is one of them. Don?t walk into that bar again, do you understand me? I might not be able to drag you out alive.?

At least they weren?t talking about six months ago anymore, Zekk thought, but he felt a chill. ?Raven said people have been disappearing,? he said, watching the Jedi carefully. He noticed more than he wanted to. ?You and Kyp are here to stop them??

Jaina ignored his question. ?Did she say anything else?? It sounded like a reflex. ?How?d she find out??

Zekk shook his head, then looked away. ?She only said that she heard people were disappearing. ?Faster than usual.?? He hesitated. ?I could ask around.?

?No.? Jaina?s reply was both immediate and sharp. ?Absolutely not.?

He reared back a bit at the command. ?Excuse me??

?Stay the kriff out of anything to do with this, Zekk.?

?I?m not a kid??

?But I?m a kriffing Jedi Knight,? she snapped, getting uncomfortably close. ?This is my mission, and I know a sith of a lot more about this than you can even imagine, and you are not getting in the way.? She couldn?t hold it back any longer. ?And why the sith hells did you just take off like that, you stupid kriffer??

Jaina looked ready to punch him, and Zekk took an instinctive step back. ?I took a co-piloting job,? he said. ?They shipped out quick.?

Jaina sneered, reflecting his disgust. ?Right, too quick to say anything. You stupid? Stay the hells out of that cantna, Zekk. I?m not feeling very knight-in-shining-robes for you at the moment.? She pushed past him, and was swallowed by the crowd before he had stepped back into the alley.

He couldn?t be sure, but?had her eyes been wet?

?Kriff.?

x-x-x

Scooti probably thought he was in permanent buzz-kill mode, and she gave him the finger when he tried to cut her browsing short. He decided to defy Hrul and leave her alon

8. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Yes, Zekk. Her eyes were wet. :D Now go to the cantina and get resuced by her, declare your mutual love for each other... have some kids...

Great emotion there, Erin. Cant wait for more!

9. blurt

blurt Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2008
    Oh Yeah, I'm sure this will end well. Good plan!

10. Neo-Paladin

Dec 10, 2004
    Well, what's the good in being a survivor if you aren't going to survive a little? o_O
    I liked the line: ?No, but it?s Mos Eisley. ?It?s dangerous? isn?t really a surprise, except that anyone felt the need to say it.? It shows he's still picking up on the little things that keep him alive.

The rumination about Brakiss tweaked my interest. Why remember him now?

Jaina certainly knows how to get Zekk's attention. Perhaps someday she'll figure out how to get his attention where she wants it, when she want's it. ;)

11. turnip3030

turnip3030 Jedi Youngling

Mar 13, 2003
    The "eyes wet" part made me smile a bit. The Zekk of old would have imagined the wet eyes. The Zekk of now slowly realizes it after she storms out. Big steps for him. More please, :p

12. ZekksGoddess

Oct 2, 2004
    Zekk was even less surprised when, the next day, a small figure barrelled him into a back alley. Even once he was in the alley, Jaina kept pushing until they were halfway down the side street before she dragged him into a doorway. ?You kriffing son of a Sith?? she reared up.
    [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]
    Maybe my favorite part?

I?m not feeling very knight-in-shining-robes for you at the moment.
    I like that line. Clever.

In defiance of Jaina-hammered good sense, Zekk would definitely return to the Dustbowl that night.
    Eeek! Zekk!

I'm proud of him, though, for facing this (or hoping to) head on, instead of running away from it.

My my, how interesting all these pieces are. I'm just not sure how they fit together. Brakiss and his disappearance...Zekk...Jaina...the Dustbowl...

Oi. I can't wait for the next post!

13. Trickster_Jaina_Fel

Oct 3, 2002
    Jon: Yes, Zekk. Her eyes were wet.

Jaina would probably hit him if she knew he had noticed :p

Now go to the cantina and get resuced by her, declare your mutual love for each other... have some kids...

First: kids [face_laugh]. Second: we'll just have to see how Zekk goes about this [face_mischief] :oops:

Great emotion there, Erin. Cant wait for more!

thanks! :D

blurt: Yeah, Zekk's plan...does lack a certain something, doesn't it? Like, respect for crazy danger :p

NP: Well, what's the good in being a survivor if you aren't going to survive a little?

Well, exactly. Even if, you know, really dangerous mission he's walking into, here :p

The rumination about Brakiss tweaked my interest. Why remember him now?

Well, there's the part where he has his own reasons for wanting to be involved. Other than that... [face_mischief]

Jaina certainly knows how to get Zekk's attention. Perhaps someday she'll figure out how to get his attention where she wants it, when she want's it.

Seriously, these two have more timing problems than some Shakespeare characters :oops:

turnip3030: Zekk is slowly getting a clue :rolleyes: He's grown up a bit since FaIC, plus he has a little more perspective to help him out. Thanks! :D

ZG: Maybe my favorite part?

*snerk* Thank you! Jaina's temper is a little too much fun to write [face_mischief]

I'm proud of him, though, for facing this (or hoping to) head on, instead of running away from it.

He's learning--he needed the past six months, even there are some key spots that he *really* should have handled better. Like...anything to do with Jaina :rolleyes: But he'll get there eventually.

My my, how interesting all these pieces are. I'm just not sure how they fit together. Brakiss and his disappearance...Zekk...Jaina...the Dustbowl...

[face_whistling]

x-x-x

Zekk looked different that night; he knew it even without Scooti?s whistle, or Raven?s appraising eye. If Jaina was playing a protective role, then so would he, especially if there was any real risk for him to take. The black clothing was for dangerous jobs, when the whole crew came along to make an impression. The blaster on his hip was partly for show; the holster almost hidden by his cape, and the knife in his sleeve were not; Coruscant?s undercity hummed in his blood. With any luck, his background would be recognizable, and eyes would shift to easier prey.

Once inside the cantina, Zekk ordered a deep red drink, and sat at the bar. He didn?t see Jaina or Kyp yet, but he didn?t expect the Jedi to make any kind of contact if he missed them. Instead, he tuned into the audible chaos that he hadn?t paid any attention to the previous night. Schemes, threats, and bribes abounded in this sort of place. Drugs were sold and used; less than savoury nights arranged; and dozens of jobs, the kind Raven wouldn?t dare take, were planned. He wasn?t focused on the normal mayhem. Menace and crime could be found in any bar in Mos Eisley; threat was familiar to the Dustbowl?s clients. But the night?s fear was not at all characteristic of its type, and the crowd was far thinner than it should have been.

It could be just the rumours, he supposed, even with the healthy egos of bounty hunters and criminals. But the fear hummed, too, with secrets. No wonder Jaina was playing the pretty girl; but unless she was beating boys on the side, all she?d have was?something he couldn?t imagine her giving?and chivalry that would have died a long time ago. All other avenues would take time Jaina didn?t have. She had probably been spitting mad even before she saw him the night previous.

This, at least, he could help her with.

The bartender brought Zekk?s drink, and the young human slid some credits across the bar. ?Quiet night,? he remarked.

The being?Zekk couldn?t name his species?counted the credits, noted the tip, and nodded briefly. ?Certain type o?people,? the bartender said back. ?Not the regulars. Others. Explains your face.?

Zekk looked do

14. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Dang... Jaina's gotta have quantum armor self-control for not shiving that guy. I loved her and Zekk, there. He probably wore mor alcohol than drank. ;)

15. blurt

blurt Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2008
    Okay, before I was wrapped up in the J/Z part, now I really want to know what's going on in that cantina. It must be big if Jaina didn't deck that guy.

16. ZekksGoddess

Oct 2, 2004
    Coruscant?s undercity hummed in his blood.
    Yess. Rugged, tough and rumble Zekk, at your service. :D

Get 'em, Zekk!

Zekk decided that he absolutely was not going anywhere, no matter how many death glares Jaina sent him. Even knowing that Kyp was somewhere in the background was not sufficiently reassuring. ?Why don?t you let me know what kind of work you?d have me do, and I?ll tell you if it?s something I might have trouble with,? Zekk said, meeting Joolu?s eyes squarely.

Jaina downed her drink in one go, and was waving for a refill even before she had replaced her glass onto the counter.

*gasps*

This Joolu is a creep. Obviously, Jaina's in pretty deep, whatever role she's playing. I'm getting wrapped up into this storyline- can't wait for the next post!

17. Neo-Paladin

Dec 10, 2004
    I have to say, what you left unsaid was even more effective than what you said, because of how you said it. You manage to capture the grit of the GFFA underworld so well that as I read it my imagination was painting in the grime on the walls. You spun up the tension with some excellent intimations that spelled nothing out, left no doubt what was communicated, and gave me all sorts of space to fill in the nasty details. What was unsaid about Joolu's character was well balanced with the details provided as well to leave me loathing. o_O

18. Trickster_Jaina_Fel

Oct 3, 2002
    Jon: Dang... Jaina's gotta have quantum armor self-control for not shiving that guy.

That, or some *very* good reason(s) for playing tough [face_whistling] But you just know Joolu won't be getting a plea bargain, if Jaina has anything to say about it.

I loved her and Zekk, there. He probably wore mor alcohol than drank.

*snerk* No doubt [face_mischief]

blurt: Answers about the mission/situation will be coming up in the next chapter, but it's...definitely big [face_worried]

ZG: Yess. Rugged, tough and rumble Zekk, at your service. grin
    Get 'em, Zekk!

Plenty of Coruscant!survivor!Zekk in this fic, that's for certain. Enjoy :D

This Joolu is a creep. Obviously, Jaina's in pretty deep, whatever role she's playing.

Joolu is a loose canon psychopath, seriously, and all-around unpleasant guy. Jaina doesn't exactly have an easy role this time around.

I'm getting wrapped up into this storyline- can't wait for the next post!

Thanks! Next post should be up...tomorrow, I think, hopefully :D

NP: Thanks so much! IYC's not quite the practice in subtlety than FaIC, so I'm glad to hear it's still balancing out. As for Joolu, he's--yeah, really, I don't want to *know* what he does in his spare time. But it's something nasty, and *he* is downright dangerous, so it's good to hear that it's coming out :)

~TJF

19. Trickster_Jaina_Fel

Oct 3, 2002
    Look: answers! Well, some of them, anyway :p

x-x-x

Jaina came alongside Zekk a good hour?s walk from the cantina. ?He?s going to kill you,? she told Zekk, striding forward with him and refusing to meet his eyes. ?And if he doesn?t, I?m tempted to do it for him. Have you completely lost your mind??

?I?m playing mailboy, Jaina. It?s not like I?ve been put in charge of the psychopath?s ?grace? standards.?

Jaina grabbed Zekk?s hand, sharply pulling him to a halt. ?Exactly what do you think you?ll be delivering?tax invoices??

Zekk studied her worried expression, and the fatigue in her eyes. Outside of the bar, it was easier to see just how worn down she was. Not like Quatroc?not devastated and drained?but the mission?s toll was unmistakable. ?Jaina, what exactly is going on? I?m getting involved, whether you want me to or not, but I can be more helpful?safer, even?if I have a clue.?

Jaina tried to stare him down for a moment, then sighed in apparent surrender. ?Fine?but not in a crowd. And we have to take the long way?just in case. Follow me, and don?t fall behind.?

Without further warning, the Jedi led Zekk on an elaborate route, dodging between people and oncoming traffic, into shops and out back doors. It was a good half hour before they finally ducked into a small grease spoon near the slave quarters. Jaina pulled Zekk directly to a table at the back. When they sat down, he immediately noticed the broken light above them. Once his eyes adjusted, he could see well enough, but he knew Jaina had chosen it specifically.

?Have you eaten yet?? she asked, not looking at him.

?It?s past midnight.?

?I?m starving. I haven?t eaten since?I guess it?s yesterday morning, now.? Jaina rubbed her temples, perhaps trying to wake up.

?How are you not drunk off your rocker??

Jaina waved at the serving droid, which bobbed its way to them. ?No alcohol on the job. Just caffeine, and lots of it. Hey, I?ll have?? Jaina glanced at her menu, then back at the waiting droid. ?The burger, fries, your daily soup, and a mug of caf. And water, as soon as you can. Zekk??

He shook his head. ?Nothing for me, thanks.? He waited until the droid had returned with Jaina?s drinks and left again, before he leaned forward. ?So, what is Joolu?s boss running??

Jaina started to reply, pressed her lips together to reconsider, then opened her mouth again ?Joolu works for?a number of people, really, and we won?t catch half of them on this mission. But his boss is a man named Traest. He?s?? Jaina?s lips tightened. ?He?s the one we?re after, this time.?

Zekk drummed his fingers on the table, noticing Jaina?s tight grip on her mug of caf. Her eyes flicked up to met his, but he sensed her withdrawal. ?What?s happening?? he asked finally. ?The people who are disappearing, what?s happening to them? Is it?a prejudice thing?I mean, hate crimes? Or??

Jaina swallowed some of her caf; judging by her grimace, it was either too hot or too bitter. She cleared her throat. ?Part of it is for a, um, a specific niche of the slave market?of Force sensitives?or people that they think are Force sensitive. As far as we can tell, that?s how it started. It isn?t just the Dustbowl, but it?s been more obvious there?and many of those involved are taking advantage of it as a meeting place. These are dangerous people, even for their sort?the kind of dangerous that doesn?t require subtlety, and they?re aware of it.?

The droid-waiter deposited a bowl of soup and an enormous burger in front of Jaina. ?Anything else?? it asked. The droid was supposed to hover, but had long since degraded to pitching forward and dropping as its propulsion energy gave out and recuperated in fits.

Jaina indulged in a mechanic?s overview of the droid?s flaws, but shook her head. ?We?re good, thanks.? Her mouth was already stuffed with a fry. Zekk noticed that she had actually managed to scrub most of the grease stains off her fingers, though her nails were still short and uneven. It was absurdly reassuring, given the distance in her manner, a

20. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Jaina grabbed Zekk?s hand, sharply pulling him to a halt. ?Exactly what do you think you?ll be delivering?tax invoices??

Dangit, Erin! I almost got mountain dew all over my screen! [face_laugh]

Aww, I loved them actually talking there. A lot of authors wouldn't do that, have them talk through things and have ZJaina chew Zekk out like that-which he deserved. And Traest... ugh, what a repulsive slime. Awful experiments, too.

Great post, Erin! Can't wait for more!

21. Neo-Paladin

Dec 10, 2004
    Ooo, the plot thickens! :) Again, the little touches made this Star Wars from top to bottom. I also really appreciate that the plot is very imaginative but I don't have to stretch at all to reconcile it with the setting. Even if I wasn't connected to the characters (which I freely admit I am) I would be throughly hooked by the plot. Speaking of the characters, they've both shown a lot of their better qualities here and that feels satisfying.

I look forward to the next post. Please drop me a PM?

edit And may I say, I've had more BNL running through my head since you started this fic than any time in the past five years, "Call nd Answer" particularly.

22. Trickster_Jaina_Fel

Oct 3, 2002
    Jon: Dangit, Erin! I almost got mountain dew all over my screen!

*snerk* Happy to amuse :D

Aww, I loved them actually talking there. A lot of authors wouldn't do that, have them talk through things and have ZJaina chew Zekk out like that-which he deserved.

[face_blush] Thanks! There's a bit of an odd pattern to their conversations, because of course a mission like this is the *worst* time to deal with Personal Issues, but they *will* be talking now and again :)

And Traest... ugh, what a repulsive slime. Awful experiments, too.

Yeah--we haven't heard the last of Traest, either :\

Great post, Erin! Can't wait for more!

NP: Ooo, the plot thickens! Again, the little touches made this Star Wars from top to bottom. I also really appreciate that the plot is very imaginative but I don't have to stretch at all to reconcile it with the setting. Even if I wasn't connected to the characters (which I freely admit I am) I would be throughly hooked by the plot.

Thank you! The sequel took me off guard, so I was worried that the plot would stumble more than a little, so I'm very please to hear that you're enjoying it :D

I look forward to the next post. Please drop me a PM?

Will do :)

edit And may I say, I've had more BNL running through my head since you started this fic than any time in the past five years, "Call nd Answer" particularly.

[face_laugh] Happy to help :p

I lost track of my 5 days/1 post schedule, hence the lack (or lateness) of update tonight. Hopefully I'll manage to edit the new post before it gets too late tonight, but otherwise there'll be an update tomorrow for sure [face_blush]

~TJF

23. Trickster_Jaina_Fel

Oct 3, 2002
    x-x-x

Zekk?s room was dark when he returned. The rest of the ship was silent, and almost as dark?he had let the sleep cycle lights lead him through the familiar walkways. The others were either asleep, or enjoying Mos Eisley?s nightlife and the crew?s open schedule. Raven ran a tight ship until she found herself between jobs, and then she took her time making a new schedule. They could easily be in Mos Eisley for a few weeks before Raven contracted work again.

Zekk found his bunk by touch and sat down, not bothering with the lights. He had planned to comm Peckhum about Jaina, but it would be as early on Coruscant as it was late for Zekk.

He was tired, but did not start preparing for sleep. His eyes were adjusting to the dark as best they could, aided by his familiarity with the small room. His desk; drawers; the small sink and mirror; the gadgets and tools spread across any available flat surface; a few datapads with information on piloting, mechanics, and one on Outer Rim government. His new life, contained in the belly of a ship, surrounded by crewmembers. A whole new life for an orphan scavenger, now flying across the galaxy.

He closed his eyes. He hadn?t worked this hard for anything besides survival in years, and it had paid off even with his co-workers, who were beginning to accept him. Trust was a rare commodity amongst smugglers, even with co-pilots who could hardly claim ignorance if boarded. The crew was less careful and suspicious by far than they had been when Zekk had started. They weren?t friends, but Scooti let him tag along, and Hrul helped him with repairs.

It wasn?t enough, Zekk admitted in the dark. There was something missing, and he hadn?t been able to see it until tonight. Irony was a kriffer.

?Well, then,? he muttered. ?Time to get to work.?

x-x-x

Peckhum always looked older as a holo, but Zekk had learned to stop asking about the spacer?s health after the second tirade. He saved his scrutiny instead for Coruscant layovers. When Zekk finally asked about Jaina, however, Peckhum?s expression was mischievous enough for a much younger man. ?Haven?t seen her in a month, because she?s on a mission,? Peckhum gossiped. ?Somewhere on the Outer Rim. She looked??

?I just ran into her, actually.? Zekk suspected that his expression was as rueful as his voice, but he couldn?t quite control either. ?On Tatooine.?

Peckhum looked almost too gleeful, as if he had arranged the awkward encounter himself. ?Did you?? he crowed. ?How?d it go??

Zekk didn?t have the heart to tease the old spacer about a holo-film reunion. ?Well, she didn?t hit me,? he said. ?Although she could be saving up. She really wasn?t too happy about me.?

?Told you to talk before leaving, didn?t I?? Peckhum sounded surprisingly unconcerned. ?How?d it go??

?Besides the part where she yelled at me and probably hates me??

Peckhum pshawed. ?Hell hath no fury, my boy, but that girl no more hates you than she ever did.?

?Well, I sort of inserted myself into her mission, despite her threats, so she?s probably changed her mind.?

Finally, Peckhum?s smug grin subsided. ?Your girl didn?t talk about the job much before she left, but she said it was dangerous.?

?I?ll be fine, Peckhum.?

Zekk?s guardian wasn?t completely reassured. ?You couldn?t have just bought her flowers, taken her out for dinner? Girls like that stuff. Jaina?s a girl. Sort of.?

?I think she?d prefer a new tool box over a garden, actually. But I?m trying to help.? Zekk became more serious. ?Not just for her, either. The mission?it?s bad news. It wouldn?t be right, not doing anything to help.?

?It means you can?t distract her,? Peckhum said, sounding disappointed. ?But being a hero could work out, too. Remember: play to your strengths, remind her why she fell for you in the first place.?

Zekk paused, but forced the words out. ?Did she??

Peckhum looked torn between exclaiming his jubilation, and slamming his head against a wall several times. ?Uhnk,? he said instead. And then, ?Duh??

Zekk smiled cro

24. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Okay, Peckhum and Zekk were pure WIN here, for the record. :D Zekk, wear the shirt! I love the old guy going off on tirades about his health. [face_laugh] More, please?

25. Twin_Saber

Twin_Saber Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 28, 2006
    Gah! I can't believe I didn't find this earlier!!! Please PM me with updates?

Sorry if I'm not a frequent replier, I just get busy. Anyway, this is an amazing sequel to a great story and I can't wait to read more!!

TWIN_SABER [face_peace]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.