main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT If you could add scenes into the OT...

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by TheNewEmpire, Feb 24, 2016.

1. TheNewEmpire

TheNewEmpire Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2007
    Imagine for a moment that George Lucas sold Lucasfilm not to Disney but to YOU.
    If you were inclined to add some scenes to the classic trilogy what would they be?

For A New Hope I'd like to show Palpatine disband the senate on Coruscant and then I'd like to see Tarkin speak with with the Emperor via hologram to learn of the news.
    I'd like to add to the fight between Obi-Wan and Vader on the Death Star. Make it a little more epic. So I'd hire a body-builder to wear the Vader costume, and use a cgi head replacement and stunt double for Alec Guinness.

2. DavidSword79

DavidSword79 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2015
    Fun idea for a thread!

I'd add a brief scene on Alderaan as the Death Star moves into its orbit. See the people reacting, maybe even have Breha and Bail's final moments as they learn from an advisor about the huge satellite now blotting out their sky. They take some futile executive action, ordering people to leave the planet, then... KABLOOIE!

I'd also add little more time to the Falcon trip between Tatooine and Alderaan. Get to know the characters a weency bit better. Maybe we could listen to them recap the first time Luke and Ben met -- when Kenobi saved young Skywalker from a Krayt dragon, as the legend goes. We could also stand to see a bit more of Luke's Force training on the ship. Kenobi teaches the boy how to block blasts from a laser gun, that kind of thing. Anything to flesh out the characters, make them more rounded and more human.

I don't mean to say the film is flawed, because it isn't. At all. But as a fan you always want to see and feel more about your favorite universe.

Sarge likes this.
  3. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    More from Dagobah.

4. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I would have a reaction shot on Alderaan before it got minced! Kind of like Hosnian Prime...

5. Nate787

Nate787 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016
    I'd have Luke and Leia making out AFTER they found out they were siblings.

Avnar likes this.
  6. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    This.

The Dagobah scenes are some of my favorite scenes in the saga, more is always welcome.

SateleNovelist11 and Avnar like this.
  7. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Luke and Leia Lannister! :p

8. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

Agreed. We got more training scenes on Dagobah in the ESB novelization. That's what I would add. That said, The Empire Strikes Back is tied with ROTJ as my favorite SW films.

Chancellor Yoda likes this.
  9. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    More were planned, and were never shot because the shooting went over budget and schedule.

10. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Avnar wrote

I would have a reaction shot on Alderaan before it got minced! Kind of like Hosnian Prime...

Yes, something like Bail Organa (knowing about the Death Star and what it has been designed for) being informed and then shocked and saying "We are all dead" :eek:

11. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015

That's true. I think that Lucas was under a lot of pressure to get all of his vision on screen, and he apparently neglected to show us Leia's foster father and the citizens of her world before they died. Bail obviously was the father of the Rebellion as much as Mon Mothma was the mother. The prequels and EU information provided us with that info. I think another missed opportunity was seeing the full effect that this had on Leia. Leia lost her family, her world, everything. Lucas and the writers chose to portray this through Leia's toughness and drive to aid the Rebellion even more so after she lost everything. But I think we should have gotten a chance to see how she grieved for what she lost in ANH and TESB a bit. She could still be a strong character. But I think that that's the point of Luke and Leia. Luke lost his uncle and aunt. He felt terrible grief, but he channeled that into his desire to aid the Rebels and become a Jedi. Leia felt even more grief, and she channeled that into her goals as a Rebel leader. Even in the EU, I feel that we should have seen a bit more of those aspects of Leia and Luke.

I'm glad for all we got to see in Luke, Leia, Han, and other characters in the films and the EU, however. Perhaps we could infer the foregoing as fans? Depends on your own view.

Otherwise, I wish we got to a tad more of Yoda and Sidious in the OT. Just a bit more. Aside from wishing that more TESB scenes of Yoda training Luke made it in, I wish we got more of Vader and Sidious interacting in TESB and ROTJ if it were possible not to destroy the first-time viewer's curiosity about why Vader is so subservient to his master.

12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Biggs on Tatooine. Bail on Alderaan. Palpatine dissolving the Senate.
    More Rebellion scenes in ESB.
    More Battle of Space Endor in ROTJ.
    Luke rolling his saber to Vader and then force-grabbing it under the Emperor's throne room.

Avnar and DavidSword79 like this.
  13. MoonFyre

MoonFyre Jedi Master star 2

Jan 19, 2016
    Leia feeling a fatherly bond from Anakin in the end of ROTJ. Like 'feelings' she has with Padme.

14. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    Change the old ones Nah if I was to alter the Prequel Trilogy this is what I would do.

Keep Corsucant as the centre of the Galactic Republic.
    Keep Naboo as Palpatine's home planet.

Take out the romance aspect in the two sequels, Have Anakin a slave with no mother and father. He would be in conflict with Yoda and Palpatine.
    I would have Obi Wan his personal friend both pilots fighting in a clone war. None of the Clone/Droid war. Have Clone Wars be fought between rival Clone forces.

Anakin would be married to Padma with child and nearly killed in a X-Wing explosion.

Chancellor Palpatine comes to power by setting up a league of Sith's to control Corsucant. Anakin decides to join this organisation and become Darth Vader.

Now that would be a script to make for the prequels. :cool:

15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    In the original SW novel, Luke, Wedge, and Biggs made two trench runs. I'd love to see both of them.

16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Oof. That scene is 10 some odd minutes long already. And you want to make it nearly 20 minutes long? You sir are crazy. Oh what the heck, sign me up.

17. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    If he sold it to me I'd just have the OOT restored and release it, but... gun to my head, let's say I have to add, but I can't take away what's already there in the SE. Keep in mind, I don't think any of these scenes would necessarily make the movies "better."

I'd probably get Jimmy Smits and Ian McDiarmid to film some scenes for the original film. Maybe show Bail Organa on Alderaan, receiving information that the Tantive IV had come under attack and his daughter is believed to be dead. Maybe show Palpatine disbanding the Senate. I'd maybe reinsert the stuff with Luke and his friends, just so there's some context when Biggs shows up. Luke is also

For The Empire Strikes Back, nothing. The original might be my favorite, but I consider TESB to pretty much be a perfect piece of filmmaking from start to finish. I honestly can't think of anything I'd want to add.

For Return of the Jedi, part of me really wants to reinsert the deleted footage of Luke finishing his lightsaber in the cave. Part of me likes Luke's introduction in the film to remain untarnished, and I'd rather not blow the surprise of the lightsaber being hidden in R2. The sandstorm scene I might want to throw in, just because I like watching these characters interact with each other. There are also deleted scenes during the last act where the Emperor orders that if the shield generator is destroyed, the Death Star is to blow up Endor, despite the large amount of Imperial forces on planet. The Imperials have a really hard time with this, and them stalling is pretty much the only reason why Endor doesn't get blown up before the Death Star does; it adds some nice tension, as we have a ticking-clock reason to fear for the safety of Han, Leia, and company, and it humanizes the Imperials a bit.

18. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015

In the EU, it was handled differently. For a long time, Leia had trouble forgiving her father for all the atrocities he had committed. She later came to terms with it, however, and she named her third child Anakin in honor of him. Although the EU portrays Leia as becoming a strong Jedi Knight, she never becomes as powerful as Luke in the Force due to her fear of turning out like her dad did.

However, Leia and Luke were both Force anomalies. They were the firstborn children of the Chosen One, and as such, only they could become as powerful as their father did. Only Luke and Leia could become powerful enough to take on any of the Ones: Abeloth, Father, Daughter, and Son. Now, some people like Sidious, Yoda, Jaina, and Jacen/Caedus were also powerful enough to take on Father and Daughter, but none of them could defeat Abeloth or Son like Luke and Leia could. That's just my take. I don't really like to analyze things in terms of power like that, but with Star Wars metaphysics and sociology, it's sometimes necessary.

Basically, a Jedi or Sith could become powerful through three ways: naturally gifted, unnaturally empowered, and temporarily empowered. Temporarily empowered would include those who use magic and talismans (Exar Kun, Naga Sadow, Ludo Kressh, and Jedi who use battle meditation and battle mind like Nomi Sunrider). Unnaturally empowered would include Darth Sion, Darth Nihilus, and Vitiate. They changed their very natures. They changed who they were metaphysically in a dark way. Therefore, they made themselves more powerful they were ever meant to be. Naturally gifted would include most Jedi and Sith, and the most powerful, such as Yoda, Sidious, Vader, Caedus, Jaina, etc. would all still be considered naturally powered.

Force anomalies are the rarest category. They fall under naturally gifted. These include the Ones (Father, Daughter, Son, and Abeloth) and three mortals (Anakin/Vader, Luke, and Leia). That's pretty much it. Some EU fans agree with how the writers crafted this. Some do not. Many have mixed feelings. Fans of the movies only may find this overwhelming, but that's literature for ya. It's another universe far, far away...and yet it says something about our own world in reality. How does it speak to you as an individual? That's the power of myth.

MoonFyre and Force Smuggler like this.
  19. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    ANH:
    -scene of Luke flying in his T-16. Doesn't have to be shooting anything, but just flying it would be nice to see
    -Scene of Luke being tested before being allowed to pilot a T-65
    -Ben attempting to teach Luke basic Jedi principles, primarily how to center yourself and focus through the Force.
    -Luke and Ben haggling with the guy who bought the Landspeeder
    -Luke burying the charred corpses of his Aunt and Uncle next to the graves of his grandparents
    -A scene from Alderaan's POV. Basically, Bail Organa looking on from the palace as he sees the green beam racing towards Alderaan. He stands on the balcony and closes his eyes, resigned to his fate.
    -The deleted scene of Luke witnessing the space battle, and the scene of him and Biggs at the Tosche Station
    -Vader's discussion with Chief Bast

ESB:
    -The Wampa subplot re-added
    -More scenes of Luke training with Yoda
    -Yoda discussing Vader (and poorly trying to separate his identity from Anakin Skywalker) with Luke
    -More of Yoda explaining the difference between the Dark Side and the Light; name dropping the Sith
    -Yoda telling Luke about the Jedi Temple on Coruscant, and that once the Emperor is defeated, he must go there and recover all the information he can
    -Luke returning to Echo base to retrieve R2 and his X-Wing
    -A scene of R2 and Luke before they reach Bespin. R2 asks Luke if he thinks this is a good idea. Luke doesn't respond.
    -More scenes of Han and Chewie trying to fix the Falcon

RotJ:
    -More scenes from both the space and land battles at Endor. Primarily, regular pilots dog fighting each other, and basic soldiers exchanging fire
    -Jerjerrod having the moral conflict when the Emperor tells him to destroy Endor
    -More scenes from the inside of the shield generator
    -Luke retrieving his lightsaber before going down the lift with Anakin
    -Luke landing on Endor with Anakin's body, and him starting to build the funeral pyre

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  20. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    A scene of Leia using the Force to do something besides feel Luke across the galaxy would have been great. Don't get me wrong. That's great. I wish I had the power to tell if certain people were alive or not sometimes.

21. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Dinos4Ever wrote

-More scenes from both the space and land battles at Endor. Primarily, regular pilots dog fighting each other, and basic soldiers exchanging fire

These were shot but unfortunately ended up in a shredder (i.e. they were immediately destroyed in order not to create confusion with the VFX elements they were going to use)

-Jerjerrod having the moral conflict when the Emperor tells him to destroy Endor

I still don't know how that scene could fit in inside the tiny timeframe of events. Giving the order the Emperor must have still been alive and the end of the firing countdown has to coincide with Luke's departure from the Death Star.

-More scenes from the inside of the shield generator

Yes!

-Luke retrieving his lightsaber before going down the lift with Anakin

He has it on him, when he arrives at the party on Endor (and I hope the ST producers are aware of that...) ;)

22. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
    Wow, as a film enthusiast, this actually makes me very sad to hear about. :(

I know, but I still think it'd be nice to show it for all the people who don't notice that. ;)

23. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011

It's not necessary. While we're at it, we should show the Falcon getting refueled every time it's docked. For that matter, every ship. Did Luke have to refuel his landspeeder in ANH? Let's show that too!

24. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
    To be fair, out of the 3 movies where we see the Falcon docked, she is being fueled twice (in Docking Bay 94 in ANH, and in the matte painting of the hanger of Home One in RotJ. We also see plenty of refueling in the background going on with the X-Wings prior to the Battle of Yavin, and the Snowspeeders prior to the Battle of Hoth.

Lt. Hija likes this.
  25. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    If I were to add stuff to the classic trilogy episode 4 I would add more scenes of alderaan and show the people being blown up like we saw in the force awakens with star killer base. Plus shoe Bail organa in the scene.

I would add the dialogue from the Return of the Jedi novel when obi-wan explains to Luke how his father got the biological suit in the Return of the Jedi

I would in a new hope add a lot more X-wing tie fighter space battle at the battle of Yavin

I would make the duel between Obi wan and Vader more epic in A New hope.