main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga If you could alter one SW movie and alter the course of SW, what's the first one you'd change?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by MidKnighT, Jan 31, 2017.

1. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    If you could alter one SW movie and alter the course of SW, what's the first one you'd change?

Going by release order, what movie would you change that would alter the future course of Star Wars? Pick the first movie you'd change in release order. Ie...if you thought ANH was perfect you might change something in ESB. If you thought the OT was perfect you might change something in TPM, etc...

To me I think the first point that Star Wars went off course was ROTJ. Changes I'd make:
    • Kill Han as originally planned (sorry Han).
    • Replace Ewoks with wookies.
    • DO NOT make Leia Luke's sister.

J7Luke, Avnar and Anakin.Skywalker like this.
  2. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    ROTJ. Vader lives. :)

Bazinga'd likes this.
  3. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    ROTJ, Yoda lives and takes out Palpatine by throwing his throne at him (Of course this is based on their battle in ROTS).

4. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I started thinking about it but you already nailed it! Exactly the 3 you mentioned...brilliant.

Oh and if I really wanted to be selfish - A better death for Boba Fett! (yes, that old chestnut)

J7Luke likes this.
  5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    TFA:

- Stick to Lucas' story.

6. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    TPM

- get rid of Jar Jar Binks
    - get rid of midi-chlorians
    - make Qui-Gon say something different than "I didn't come here to free slaves"

(just the first three things that came to my mind)

7. MidKnighT

May 23, 2005

Vader and Luke overthrow the emperor and rule the galaxy as father and son?

[​IMG]

Darth Basin, J7Luke, DBPirate and 5 others like this.
  8. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    Yes!!!!

Darth Basin and DarthEndus like this.
  9. SouthernYankeeJedi

SouthernYankeeJedi Jedi Youngling

Jan 30, 2017
    In ROTS, I'd make a good amount of the Jedi survive and make them become prominent players in the Rebellion. Many of them died in such unbecoming ways in ROTS and during Order 66 that I would want to carve out more heroic deaths for people like Kit Fisto, Aayla Secura, and Plo Koon.

10. MidKnighT

May 23, 2005
    I guess nobody wants to change ANH or ESB.

How would the saga be different in Obi-Wan defeats Darth Vader (again) in ANH and Vader falls into the reactor core getting burnt up for a 2nd time? Vader survives but needs an even better suit with even more life support.

Then Obi-Wan takes Luke to Degobah in ESB and they *both* train Luke.

Then all 3 show up at Bespin. Vader's like "The force is with you young skywal...holy crap Yoda, Obi-Wan, and Luke? Crap!" Vader saves himself and turns to the light side then in ROTJ all 4 jedi (Obi-Wan, Yoda, Anakin, Luke) show up to take out Palpatine.

J7Luke and Darkslayer like this.
  11. DaffyTheWizard

DaffyTheWizard Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 4, 2017
    I think the movies are fine the way they are but I guess for "what ifs" it would been interesting to see how different Revenge of the Sith would of been if Ahsoka was in it. Also what would of happened to Luke and Leia if Padme lived and didn't die. Would they still be separated or would they grow up together? Would they both be trained to use lightsabers when they were younger?

It would of been cool to see what would of happened if Qui-Gon Jinn had not died in The Phantom Menace. How much different would things be? Would Anakin still went to the dark side?

What would of happened if Yoda or Obi-Wan was more involved in the rebel alliance and not in exile? That could of been cool to see how different the original movies would of been.

ThinPaperWings and Darkslayer like this.
  12. MidKnighT

May 23, 2005

Speaking of this, why didn't Yoda go with Luke to Bespin? Yoda that scared of being discovered by Palp? He didn't seem to mind Luke getting discovered by Palp...

Luke and Yoda vs Vader in ESB would have a much different ending. Vader would be the one falling down the shaft.

Darkslayer likes this.
  13. SouthernYankeeJedi

SouthernYankeeJedi Jedi Youngling

Jan 30, 2017

It could be argued that Yoda's importance was solely that of a teacher. If he went on to outwardly get involved if the Rebels and fighting Sidious and Vader it would distract from training Luke. Not the strongest argument, but it could be argued I guess.

Also, maybe Yoda was struggling with the reality that the Jedi were destroyed under his watch as Grand Master. He may be very much in tune with the force and, of course, one of the greatest Jedi ever but I'm sure it had to bother him on some level that his colleagues were gone. This could mess with a warrior's fighting ability as the mental state is equally important to physical ability when it comes to being a good fighter or Jedi.

I know Star Wars Theory and Fact-Free and other youtubers discuss Vader's struggle with the reality of Padme being dead and him being a complete and utter traitor to everything he ever stood for. I wonder if there is any evidence that Yoda went through any similar struggles in his isolation? (IMO - he can't be completely blamed for what happened - it was a collective failure by the Jedi that led to their destruction - but it could be an understandable accusation.)

Sarge and DaffyTheWizard like this.
  14. MidKnighT

May 23, 2005

Thanks.

And I just thought of a better death for Boba Fett...

Boba survives the Jabba battle but then tracks their ships after. Boba ends up following Luke to Degobah. After Yoda dies, Luke is talking to Obi-Wan's force ghost but the convo is interrupted by Boba flying in on his jet back and firing blaster shots. Luke ignites his saber and a battle ensues. During the battle Luke's lightsaber hits Boba's jet pack and he spirals into the swamp. Boba uses his wrist rope thing to attach to a tree and pull himself out of the swamp but just as he is coming out of the swamp the swamp monster arises (the one that swallowed R2 in ESB) and bites off Boba's legs. Luke then uses his light saber to mercy kill Boba.

Avnar likes this.
  15. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Hmmm I forgot about the PT...

I would start with TPM. Get rid of Jar Jar... Keep the exact aesthetic of the OT... Make Anakin older... Keep Maul for the trilogy!

16. lookameatbag

lookameatbag Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2014
    Have the plot of TPM set during the Clone Wars.

17. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Great topic!

I would also have preferred to keep Darth Maul throughout the PT as the main Sith Villain, basically replacing Dooku as Sidious' apprentice. And Dooku would just be the Separatist leader-nothing more. Anakin would kill Maul, and become Sidious' apprentice at the end of Episode II (which took place during the early days of the Clone Wars). Anakin faces down Obi-Wan in ROTS and is put in the suit about 2/3rds of the way in, and the climax is Darth Vader hunting down the Jedi, and the rest of the film focuses on Obi-Wan, Yoda, and perhaps a couple others trying to escape and going into hiding and all that. Kind of similar to what we see in the end of Rogue One, as the rebels are trying to escape from Vader and the Empire there, only a bit more drawn out.

I'd have had Darth Vader actually kill Padme, rather than just a choke and release, and that is what seals the deal with him becoming a Sith, as he blames the Jedi for how all of it played out.

I also thought of a different possible path: Darth Vader is never gravely injured-beyond losing a limb or something-and never needed the mechanical suit. Then the rest of the saga involves Darth Vader, at full power and no limitation-realizing his full potential as a Sith, ultimately becoming almost unstoppable-until Luke, who became a fully trained Jedi in the "10 years" that passed between ESB and ROTJ finally defeating him-at great cost (deaths, lost limbs and the like).

But I'm also happy with how it actually played out!

Avnar likes this.
  18. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Revenge of the Sith:

Padme doesn't die of a stupid broken heart. She lives and raises both Luke and Leia in secret. Note-I don't think she'd part from either one.

The Empire Strikes Back:

Luke joins Vader at the end and must be redeemed in Return of the Jedi.

ThinPaperWings likes this.
  19. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    "As you know, our blockade is perfectly leg-"
    "Bull****"
    "What?"
    "Captain, turn around. Let's report this obviously illegal activity to the representative senator from Naboo. He can do something in the Senate. What's his name? Palpadeen or something?"

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Revenge of the Sith.

Palpatine gets thrown out of the office window.

21. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Like in the Defenestrations of Prague? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defenestrations_of_Prague :D

Can I still change my vote (post # 6)?

ROTS:

- provide Anakin with more (and better) reasons why he can't return to the Jedi Order and instead decides to join Palpatine
    - erase the allusions to "Anakin Childkiller"

Tosche_Station likes this.
  22. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

Thrown out of a window? Nice obscure but awesome reference.

Tosche_Station likes this.
  23. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    Episode VII:
    Stick to George LucasĀ“s Episodes VII, VIII and IX Story and keep Lucas as creative consultant.

24. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I've always wondered what would've happened if Anakin stood by and simply let Mace Windu kill Palpatine. I've always had imaginations of Anakin making the right choice, and ultimately staying with the Jedi Order-or even leaving the Order, on amicable terms-and going away, helping Padme raise his kids, being a happy family etc. Maybe also occasionally helping the Jedi clean up the galaxy in those days after the end of the Clone Wars and the galaxy eventually returning to peace (although it would be a long road to that point), and Anakin and his family all live happily ever after, with Obi-Wan frequently visiting them as an old friend.

But then we would only get an Episodes I-III of course, cos the story would end there with that happy ending. That's the one thing that we're always missing in SW, a happy ending. Cos the story is always ongoing. Even in certain episodes where all seems well, there's always that door left just open, for the struggle to continue. The only episode that really vaguely resembles a true "happy ending" is ROTJ, for obvious reasons. But now, reading Aftermath and the other things we know about the canon and continuation of the saga, that happy ending seems less final, and more simply a "good for now" kind of thing. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of an ongoing saga, but a wonderfully done happy ending has always been a big thing for me with movies.

25. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    TPM - Change the whole movie.

Avnar likes this.