main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga If you could alter one SW movie and alter the course of SW, what's the first one you'd change?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by MidKnighT, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    There are 2 words that perfectly describe her character and those 2 words are forbidden around these parts.

2. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

Posting crap that is misogynist in nature is also forbidden in these parts as well. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  3. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    Please stop. She's a terrible character, IN MY OPINION.
    Gender is irrelevant.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    If she is just a "terrible character" and you would describe a male character in her position the same way, there is no phrase "forbidden around these parts" to describe it. The "forbidden around these parts" phrase is definitely not gender-neutral.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Are "forbidden words" exclusively gender specific? I don't think so.

Zejo the Jedi likes this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    No, the one he is referring to is.

Now let's move on.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  7. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    Make ROTS a little over 3 hours long and have more of the novel material in there

Mandalore Rising likes this.
  8. Valryk

Valryk Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2016
    The Force Awakens:

Rey and Ben are students of Luke going on adventures (stand-ins for Jaina and Jacen)
    They are the only new Jedi, more are recruited over the course of their journeys.
    No First Order but Imperial remnants co-existing along with the New Republic
    No Snoke but a Sith order instead (Unoriginal I know but hey that's what I like more)

9. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    Oh, and for TFA: make the sequels about the Vong invasion. Original conflict and concepts.

10. Mandalore Rising

Mandalore Rising Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 5, 2017
    I would have loved to see the full Obi-Wan/Anakin fight. The only info I know about it is at one stage Obi-Wan had both lightsabers. Apparently there was more to the Mace/Sidious fight as well. One part in the book I really liked was where Anakin gives 3PO to Padme and she gives him R2. It was just a sweet little scene. Also a shame that the scenes where Padme and the other senators start the rebellion didn't make the cut.

11. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    ROTJ ending.......

Into a sooner episode 7.

Palpatine recovers from his fall & uses his powers to land on a Platform. Vader survives & must stand trial. At the urging of Luke his death sentence is reduced to life if he helps track down the Emperor. Anakin makes a propaganda speach urging the Imperials to switch sides. His new life support suit looks likes Phasma armor. But with a removable face plate so he looks "human" from time to time.

Vader and Luke have a heart to heart with Leia. Leia is of course angry but says "Your actions now must surpass your history."

By episode 9. We have a final showdown with Luke, Anakin Vs the Emperor & a young very confused, very strong Force prodigy named Ben..........

Who wins? You decide!

Edit

Oh yeah. Snoke is on his bed eating space nachos waiting for someone to kill Sheev.

12. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    see: Gary Stu

You're essentially dropping the term misogynist with the full knowledge that there is a male-specific variant.

Honestly, the Mace/Sidious duel is far more coherent and believable. Apparently, Matthew Stover had no idea how it would have looked like and ended up utilizing a lot of Palpatine's more deceptive traits.

Zejo the Jedi likes this.
  13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    We are well aware that the terms Gary Stu and Marty Stu exist, but let's not pretend they are used as often and under the same circumstances that Mary Sue is used.

Some people probably would have the same issues with Rey if she were a male but for far too many people, a male character with the same powers would not be called "overpowered." And people who insist on passive-aggressively trying to get around the rule against using the term Mary Sue--a rule that was put into place because it was so grossly overused in the New Films forums that it impeded actual discussion--would seemingly fall into that category, as there is no need to insist on such a gender-specific term.

"Pet character" is fine, with an explanation of why the fan views her as overpowered.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  14. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Well, all right, we're finally getting somewhere. That's an infinitely better reason to discourage use of term other than it being "ahem" misogynistic, amirite Bazinga'd?

I'd actually agree with you because it aptly describes both Finn and Rey pretty well.

Zejo the Jedi and Alexrd like this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The term was discouraged because it was overused to the point of impeding discussion and because it is misogynistic.

If Star Wars got a male lead for the first time after almost four decades of exclusively-female leads and that male lead was called a Gary Stu in every other post--and some people looked for "alternative means" of using the term Gary Stu to describe the lead after it got banned for being overly used, overly simplistic and misandrist--we would be having the same discussion.

The larger point is that it is possible to take issues with Rey gaining abilities too quickly without using that specific term, so anyone who insists on finding a way to use that specific term is going to be suspected of taking some issue with her characterization due to her gender.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  16. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Unfortunately, you assume that the two words I classified as misogynist was in fact "Mary Sue". Regardless of what those two words were, there is always the intent of the poster to consider.

In any event, this thread has been derailed enough. If you want to discuss further PM anakinfansince1983 and myself.

17. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    I would probably have tried somewhat to have Dooku a more prominent character in ROTS. Maybe have him fight Windu to the death.

AOTC set him up so well as a formidable foe, "this is just the beginning". I took him at his word. To have him die at the beginning of the next movie seemed a little anti-climatic for me.

Talos of Atmora and Sarge like this.
  18. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015

GL should of gave the roll of Grievous to Dooku.