main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

If you could change 3 things about TPM.....

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Slayyyyyy, Feb 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slayyyyyy

Slayyyyyy Jedi Master

Oct 19, 2002
    What would they be? (please no "it perfect how it is" or "change the plot", im talking specific things).

Let me begin.

To start off, I would have made anakin slightly older, say 15. And I also would have made him destroy the trade federation cruiser on purpose, not by stupid accident.

Second, I would have made the final Gungan battle less cartoony. After watching the arena battle, the gungan battle is laughable. Wheres the sense of danger (there are hundreds of destroyed battle droids on the ground and like 1 Gungan)>

Finally, I would have kept Darth Maul alive and used him for the villain in AOTC, somehow working HIM in as the charismatic separatist(perhaps a disguise?).

What do u all think!

2. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    1--Older Anakin...perhaps somewhere around 13-15. Of course, this will mean he will be played by some 25 year old guy! [face_laugh]

2--More Obi Wan, specifically him discovering Anakin, becoming friends with him, really be the main charcter of the PT right from the start.

3--No midiwhatitsname...no microbes that the Force uses to communicate.

In short, I'd replace Lucas's script with Oakessteve's rewrite.

[face_mischief]

3. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    1) Add more drama to the Tatooine segment.
    2) Older Anakin (age 15 minimum)
    3) Triple Palpatine's screentime 8-}

But seriously...

3) Have Obi-wan and GQJ both be former apprentices to Yoda and best friends.
    4) Have Maul not die of stupidty... wait, you said 3. Sorry.

4. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    (1) Reduce JJB's screen time by maybe two minutes; the eopie fart bit should be the first cut.
    (2) Explain midichlorians more clearly.
    (3) Reduce Boss Nass's screen time by half.

Nothing major, really.

Rick McCallum loves you!

5. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    OK, the biggies have been hit. Here are some less obvious problems:

1: Recast Brian Blessed to be a Jedi Master, General, or warlord psychopath. Don't waste his time with just being the voice of a CGI frog.
    2: make the battle droids in general less cartoony.
    3: no virgin birth crap. Maybe Anakin could be QuiGonn's kid, one that he never knew about. Shmi couldn't tell him because the pirates raided the ship she was traveling on to tell him in person, and then sold her into slavery.

6. Marianalover

Marianalover Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 3, 2004
    The only two things I would change would be Qui Gon surviving the film and he turning out to be Ani's father.

7. Slayyyyyy

Slayyyyyy Jedi Master

Oct 19, 2002
    why does everyone have such a problem with boss nass? I thought he was ok...

8. Grunt

Grunt Jedi Youngling

Oct 30, 2003
    1. I would have Anakin appear slightly more intelligent and knowledgeable. Yes, he is just a little kid, but he is also supposed to be a genius mechanic who has seen the harsh face of the world. Yes, young children do scream yippee, but I don't believe that one in slavery, preparing to risk his life or destroying a battle ship would be among those children that would do so.
    2. Have more than just the two Jedi involved with the final climactic fight. It just seems illogical to me that they can't send more than two Jedi to help save a sovereign civilization which is about to produce the Supreme Chancellor of the Republic and one of the most influential Senators of the age, and yet just to recover Obi-Wan they send an entire army of Jedi and clones. Yes, I understand that there were greater motives about fighting a war there and trying to eliminate Dooku and stop the separatists, but then why was their first priority to rescue the prisoners? Why storm the arena? Why not go destroy the factories? Sorry, that was spinning off into AOTC there. I would have liked to see some Jedi fighting alongside the Gungans even, that might have made the fight a little more epic, and some deeper attachments to the characters of those fights. The only two characters we even knew there were Jar-Jar and Tarpals, and half the audience were rooting for them to die anyway.
    3. More "reason" behind the Darth Maul duel. Yes, I understand that he is a Sith and they are Jedi, and that is supposed to be reason enough to fight, but I wish there had at least been some communication between the two parties. Even some more corny lines about vengeance and payback might have been in order for that. I liked both parties, so I didn't really even care if Maul died or not. I know that the aim was to go for the silent "Boba Fett" type, but as a central villain, which Fett was not, I believed that Maul needed more development. If anything, Sidious should have been more on the sidelines, with his lieutenant like apprentice leading the armies.

Grunt.

9. Zoe

Zoe Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 22, 2003
    1. Have Obi-Wan on his own until Coruscant, where he meets up with Qui-Gon. Keep Qui-Gon alive until either AOTC or Episode 3. That's just a brief idea I had.
    2. Have a bit more humour in the script.
    3. Show the gungans as a bit more dignified, especially Boss Nass. I found it hard to belive that a species with a slobbering toad for a leader could build something as sophisticated as Otah Gunga. Maybe have Jar Jar more of a Captain Tarpals character with the comic relief being sarcastic comments instead of slapstick. Alright, so maybe that's 2 changes squeezed into one. :D

10. Sith Interceptor

Sith Interceptor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 1999
    Some of these are like major changes! lol

Having Qui-Gon/Maul survive, older Anakin, and no JJ or Nass would encompass massive re-writes which really makes this whole argument moot.

1) Axe Fode/Beed
    2) Axe Eopie Fart
    3) More sombre mood during Gungan/Droid battle

11. Darth_Meul

Darth_Meul Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2004
    1. Yoda should be digital, and have little wings (this would imply three or so changes in AOTC, where Dooku cuts off the wingthingies, but that's for another thread).
    2. When the Gungan army was all set up, before the battle actually started, Jar Jar should have had a ride across the front (swelling music needs to be added here) and make all the Gungans shout out "DEATH!" about three/four times. Quite intimidating for an army of robots, I would think [face_laugh] ...
    3. More cowbell, obviously :D ...

12. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
    2. When the Gungan army was all set up, before the battle actually started, Jar Jar should have had a ride across the front (swelling music needs to be added here) and make all the Gungans shout out "DEATH!" about three/four times. Would have been the funniest thing ever...

Here you go:

"Arise! Arise, Rid-as of Jar Jar! Spears shall be shaken! Shields shall be splintera! lightsab-a day! red day! Ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride! Ride for ruin, an' the world's end'in! Death! Death! Death!"

And then Jar Jar falls down.

[face_mischief]

(Gungan translation courtesy of "The Jar-Jargonizer". You have never read a LOTR script until you've put it through this marvel of technology ;)).

13. Darth_Meul

Feb 4, 2004
    "Arise! Arise, Rid-as of Jar Jar! Spears shall be shaken! Shields shall be splintera! lightsab-a day! red day! Ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride! Ride for ruin, an' the world's end'in! Death! Death! Death!"

And then Jar Jar falls down.

No no no, you've got it all wrong. At the end, the beast he was riding should have farted :cool: ...

14. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
    Nah, we'll save the fart joke when the Nazgul attacks Theo...I mean, Jar Jar. It was this fart that killed poor Jar Jar.

:p

15. weezyslob

weezyslob Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2002
    1.Replace Jake Lloyd. I'm sorry, I just can't like him no matter how hard I try.

2.More Obi-Wan, he's just so awesome, he should have gone along with the rest of the group on Tatooine.

3.Um... more 3P0 I guess.

16. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Dump Qui Gon and focus the story on Obi-wan. Make Anakin close to Luke's age at the start of ANH. No cutesy kiddie-marketing elements like Jar Jar Binks, cartoon podracers and fart jokes.

Doing that would have made TPM a better movie for children and adults.

17. Idealistic_Crusader

Idealistic_Crusader Jedi Youngling

Sep 17, 2003
    1) Make Anakin around 30. Yes, you heard me, THIRTY. In ROTJ, Obi-Wan said Anakin "was already a great pilot" when they first met. So I don't think it was unreasonable to assume that Anakin would be an older guy who'd done enough in the cockpit to earn being called great. You know, like, HAVING ACTUALLY DONE SOME FLYING. I didn't think he'd be a 10-year-old pod racer who'd never even set foot on starship.

2) Junk the Gungans completely. Have Naboo soldiers fight the Roger Roger droids instead.

3) Junk the whole "Chosen One bringing Balance to the Force" prophesy crap. It contradicts the OT and it's totally unoriginal and uninspired anyway. It reduces Star Wars to yet another saga about "the One".

18. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    1. No Dialogue from Anakin during the space battle. Make it like the podrace. He was badass during the podrace.

2. Emphasize the seriousness of the Battle for Naboo. I don't mind sillyness but when its during battle scenes, it's better to make it serious.

3. I believe there is scene in the rough drafts where the Naboo cruiser is faced with a problem. They need to return to their planet but unfortunately the TF is orbitting it everywhere. The Jedi call on Anakin, much to the Naboo's dismay, to fly the ship past the cruisers. Anakin jumps to hyperspace and comes out between the TF Control Ships and the planet much to everyone's amazement. I'd love to see that in the film.

Also, change Anakin's clothing once he gets to Coruscant. It seems like they were there for at least a day or two. It bugs me seeing him in the same slave garments the whole time.

19. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    I like the way you think, Idealistic_Crusader.

20. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    With Slayyy I agree on two out of three:

1. Anakin is 15, and destroys the TF ship on his own steam. (My "Vortigern Edit" of TPM is cut to show lil' Skywalker closing the cockpit and soaring off to blow the battleship all on his own--with no "Whoa!"s or "Oops!")

2. The Gungan battle must have a sense of urgency and danger, and be less cartoony in general--which leads me to...

3. FAR LESS JAR JAR. He's funny in small doses, but he does not deserve, IMO, to be a major character.

These would go a long way toward improving TPM (which I feel is good but not great.)

21. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    1) add deleted scenes from DVD
    2) a little less of the Jar Jar antics. The "fart jokes" got old...and the 3 stooges stuff during the battle was fine, but it was overdone. Just leave the "excuse me" from the dinner scene (that was funny)

22. Ob1-Ob2-Ob3

Ob1-Ob2-Ob3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2004
    1)I don't think that Maul should have died. Come on. He was a cool character.By the way, I don't undersand his anger towards the jedi. It all seemed so fake. Maul needed more of a personality. Instead of the door opening in the hangar to reveal maul, he should have moon-walked in.

2)There shoul not have been a lightsabre fight at the end. It did not seem real. It seemed just like a formality because as u kno, eevery SW film ends in a big climactic fight.

It would have been a bad moie if there was not a lightsabre fight at the end though.

XOXOXO

23. Ob1-Ob2-Ob3

Ob1-Ob2-Ob3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2004
    The only other thing that I could ever possibly change in TPM is a little bad, but O well. I always like to see one character die in each movie. Anywaz: Shmi says when their all eating at the table that every slave has a little thingy(I think transmitter)placed inside their body somewhere. Well, afer Anakin wins the Podrace he goes to Watto or whoever to have it disabled. Long story short, they don't disable it properly, Ani and Qui are running to the ship, 2 beeps, SPLAT. Adios Anakin. So Qui-Gon naturally goes, "Oh damn, I've got slave all over me."Blah, blah, blah, Ani gets pissed, turns to the dark side, impregnated Padmé, Creates empire, Luke returns, world is saved, end credits.

THE END!

Noone respects my work.

24. Darth_Meul

Feb 4, 2004
    Other changes I propose (this fits with my rewrite of TPM, which would be called "The Attacking Clones Go Forth" or TACGF), is that Anakin is about fifty and still lives with his mom (this should make perfect sense to at least some SW fans). The revised films would follow the same timeframe, meaning that Anakin would be around ninety in ROTJ, which also would make perfect sense. This balding Anakin would show Jedi potential by Force-lifting cargo-canisters on board of spiceships. By that time, he has already proven his worth as a pilot by flying an aircraft that sprays water on fields of saladcrops (he wouldn't start out on Tatooine, but Alderaan, where dangerous LOTR-like winged beasts roam the sky that have to be avoided - this requires much skill). Obi Wan, while battling as a volunteer in the Clone Wars (clones would be viscious Ewoks, making a nice tie-in with ROTJ) would train Anakin when he meets him (when he comes to pick up some containers of salad, the most common foodstuff, for the hungry stormtroopers, which aren't clones at all but men that joined the military service of the then well-perceived Empire). The Jedi Order doesn't exist as we know it; Yoda has always lived on Dagobah, instructing stranded pilots the way of the Force (if they survived the crashlanding that is, the perfect Jedi trial to judge if one's worthy enough - Obi Wan being such a pilot; this would be explained in the short LOTR-like prologue/introduction that precedes the actual film). In a huge battle around the ancient stronghold of Mos Espa, Anakin would meet his future wife, Darth Modder (real name Sissy Lars), a Sith apprentice that (unbeknowst to him) introduces Anakin to the Sith Order. Obviously, Owen Lars is the brother of Sissy Lars.

Anyway, I'm rambling - Anakin in his fifties, in short.

25. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    FIFTY!!!! [face_laugh]

I wanted an older Anakin, but not that old!

Okay, here's my two sets of changes:

This is three that could be made if having the right equipment:

Add Qui-Gon's probe droid slice back into film proper.

Cut out Anakin's "It's on automatic pilot" and make it look like he jumps in the cockpit and flies off.

Cut Eeopie fart

Now, here are the three based on more extensive changes:

Add Naboo troops into end ground battle. Just a few of those guys with yellow and brown outfits.

Add more Maul

Add more Obi-Wan and have him travel to Mos Espa and meet Anakin and discover him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.